Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

HPI Savage temp. range?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2004, 07:01 AM
zeek2165

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HPI Savage temp. range?

I have a HPI Savage 25 with a onboard digital thermometer and I'm wondering what my temp. range should be? The manual that comes with it says not to exceed 275F. Mine usually runs around 260F-265F, running with 15% and 20% nitro, and a stock plug. Is this too high? I'm running it in New York weather with outside temps around 75F-90F, and I see white smoke indicating that I have enough oil. Should I be running a different percentage? A different plug? Any suggestions? Or aim I being too paranoid? I've talked with other people and they don't even run a digital gauge, so they have no idea what temp. they are running. And their machines seem to run fine. Thanks!
Old 08-04-2004, 02:39 PM
Mako3

Default RE: HPI Savage temp. range?

If you want your Savage to get some nice performance then to you need run near the danger zone which is 275 degrees. I try not to take my Savage over 250 degrees, that will help make your engine run longer. Good temp range is between 210 & 240 degrees, thats the safest if you want performance. Just do not get your engine over 250 degrees it is very hard for it to cool down even idling you will have to turn it off. Once you get your engine over 270 degrees it become very dangerous it starts taking off like a jet and starts eating your fuel like crazy, thats what happened to me, it forced me to hold on to the breaks and it still was going like 7 mph with full breaks.

Heres a video of my Savage running at 243 degrees: [link=http://www.rcpics.net/media/Savage.mpg]MY Savage Video[/link]

Mako3
Old 08-04-2004, 02:43 PM
zeek2165

Cool, thanks for the info, Do you have any hints on how to keep my temp. down? Do I just keep running the 15% & 20% and the stock plug temp range and just richen up the fuel to help cool it? I'm having a hard time keeping it cool, and not bogging it out?
Old 08-04-2004, 03:15 PM
Mako3

Well, Yea, but once you reach 235 degrees let it idle for a little and it should go down to 218 in about an 1 1/2 to 2 minutes. Just run it, kinda rich and use 20% fuel. I use O'donnell and it is really good but the best is sidewinder I jut don't think $10 extra is worth it. I changed my settings and now for my High Speed Needle its 3 3/4 turns from closed & Low Speed Needle is at 3 turns from closed.
Old 08-04-2004, 04:17 PM
MrSavage

actually, the s-25 engine runs very hot a lot of times...around 300, maybe a little more...and thats fine if it does.
Old 08-04-2004, 05:02 PM
Crazy_Coconuts

the engine is very rich when you first fire it up... you have to warm it up a bit, i like to lean it out alot until and force the temperatures to rise to above 230... you can richen the mixture when you reach 200, but i go up to 230 then richen it and do circles so its about 210... (this procedure should take you about a minute or two...) if you run it at the proper settings, the temperatures should creep back up to 230-240... i like to keep it there, but i do go up to 250+ sometimes... if it hits 260, i shut it down...

hope this helps
Old 08-05-2004, 07:56 AM
GotSavage?

You could cut a hole in the windshield to help keep the temps down. With my 21Bb I had to cut out the entire windshield and back window to keep the temps down.
Old 08-05-2004, 08:03 AM
zeek2165

Thank you all for the helpful information, I will have to try these ideas and get back to you. I have run the machine without the body and still had hot temps leading me to believe that the windsheildless idea may not work completely. I am confused with the differences between the different temp. ranges between the different people. I know the hotter the engine the more power, but also the less the life of the motor. I'll try a few things and any more problems I ask again! Thanks for you time!