Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

! ! . : T N X wins RCCA Monster Madness : . ! !

Community
Search
Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

! ! . : T N X wins RCCA Monster Madness : . ! !

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2004, 10:07 PM
manilaheli

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ! ! . : T N X wins RCCA Monster Madness : . ! !

Congrats on the TNX.

I tried one out a couple of months ago.. Nice, Light and really Fast. Outsprint our big block MTs that's for sure.

That said, the plastic parts kinda seem kinda flimsy and doesn't stand as much abuse as letsay a Tmaxx. After 2 gallons, the TNX's bumpers were broken, the shocks were too worn out to be repaired, and the ball links were more worn out than most others. I'd go all out with it to win a race, but I'd have to rebuild it more often than others. Plus, It's a bit overpriced IMO.
Old 08-19-2004, 10:22 PM
RedDawg303

and you cant even adjust camber, but you shouldnt say that the t-maxx can take abuse, a light breeze will disintigrate a stock t maxx bulkhead.
Old 08-20-2004, 01:58 AM
fhm101

ORIGINAL: repete
well...first of all..u tried to down play the TNX by saying it had all these mods and it wasnt close to stock
Sorry kid, that is not what I was saying at all. My point was, and always has been, that before you get all excited about what a great truck ANY of them are, make sure you are not getting a pig in a poke, or for the more simple, a truck that will wind up more aftermarket than stock by the time it's what you want for the track. The general opinion of MT racers I know that have actually seen the TNX trucks used by their drivers are that they are modded about like the average production class T Maxx. If you know anything about what it takes to field a production truck then you know it don't take a whole lot to make it ready. My only reason for posting here was to try to help those guys that may not be aware of what they are getting in to if they are buying into the idea that they can simply pick up a TNX and go racing without having to tweak it a bit first.

Lighten up, I'm not trying to down your latest love, just trying to spread some hard earned knowledge.
Old 08-20-2004, 07:52 AM
DJG24

Well , I'll try to clear some things up about this race since I was at it. I also made the A-main and ran with all these trucks. As a matter of fact after round 1 of qualifing I was 2nd overall ahead of Jacobson and Slayden with a stock Revo with only a radio and servo change.

The TNX guys (Jimmy, David, and Alvin) all ran stock TNX's with the exception of the shocks and tires. Tamiya would not allow any other mods to be done. They even ran the plastic crappy stock pipe!
They did run pro-line bypass shock (every one of them, including Jacobson who ran Losi shocks at the Maxx challenge race)
They all ran different radios and servos
They all used Roto starters
They big kicker was the modified tires they ran. These guys used new tires for every round of qualifing. On top of that they were modified tires. They were cutting bowties in half, removing about 1/2" matterial and glueing them back together onto rims that had also had the inner beads cut off. These tires alone make the truck turn way better than the people using stock bowties on TNX's

Slaydon ran a Revo with all the Traxxas hop ups on it but it did have a bone stock motor also.

The myths - the .18 had more power than the 2.5 engine - TRUE!!! The .18 engines make more torque and moved the TNX's down the straight faster. Believe me though the Revos can hang in there in the speed department.

The TNX dominated - FALSE!!! while it did walk away with the win pretty easily, Steve's Revo flamed and got him down some laps, but Slaydon did turn some of the fastest laps and was gaining on them. Qualifing between the top 6 trucks was only 15 seconds difference and only 5 between Jacobson and Slaydon (1 and 2)

I'm not saying either truck is better or either driver was better but Jacobson ran a perfect race and took the win, Slaydon had a chance if it weren't for some bobbles and the flame out. In capable hands either could win.

Flame if you want but those are the facts from this race!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-20-2004, 08:18 AM
breakin2
My Feedback: (1)

Well said.
Old 08-20-2004, 09:00 AM
monst@r

ORIGINAL: DJG24

They big kicker was the modified tires they ran. These guys used new tires for every round of qualifing. On top of that they were modified tires. They were cutting bowties in half, removing about 1/2" matterial and glueing them back together onto rims that had also had the inner beads cut off. These tires alone make the truck turn way better than the people using stock bowties on TNX's
Essentially they were making standard sized Bow Ties with 40 Series sidewall? Or to that effect.
Old 08-20-2004, 09:16 AM
fhm101

Lifted from the R/C Pro Series rulebook:

55. Tires must be of one piece in circumference. No sectioning or piecing tires together. No spikes, tubes, or additional items to be glued to the outside of tires or passed through from the inside. All tires must be black color. Sidewall lettering colors allowed. Only tires manufactured for a specific class may be used.

It looks like the single best thing the TNX and revo have going for them at the moment is illegal. If you will check the ROAR rules, you will find the same thing as above. It may be worded a bit differently, but it says the same thing.

To simplify for those with trouble following, no cut tires allowed in either rc pro or ROAR scantioned events. Cut wheels are also not allowed.

Of course as I mentioned above, it won't take long for the aftermarket to catch up. From what I hear, Panther already has a tire in the works to fit the revo wheel.
Old 08-20-2004, 09:31 AM
bige4375

Why is it a big deal that the TNX had a few mods when the REVO was much more moded and still got beat.
Old 08-20-2004, 02:16 PM
fhm101

It's not a big deal, it's simply business as usual in MT racing. ALL race trucks are modded to some degree, it's the nature of the beast. What you have to be careful to avoid is a truck that requires more modding than is worth doing. The TNX and revo are both fresh out of the gate and so far the only thing we really have to base any decisions on are what paid pros are doing with them and a paid pro can make up for a lot of shortcomings with their awesome driving skill. The simple truth in MT racing is whatever works best is what you will see the most of at the track. Right now the most common platform by far at mt races of all levels is the t maxx. Some are modded to the point they would rival the NASA shuttle program while others are little more than a box stock truck with a few minor changes. At round 2 of the pro series east division, both production and unlimited clsses were won by the same guy driving a maxx with a pull start instead of an electric start on the stock TRX, a set of Dynamite by Losi shocks and a set of Pro Line wheels with standard maxx bowties. The rest of the rig, including the radio was OTB stock. The reason he won is because he is a world class driver.
Old 08-20-2004, 03:03 PM
bige4375

Yea I understand all that, I have a TMAXX I've raced for 3 years, set up just like you just said actually, I also have a LST and a storm pro. It just semms that people want to think the TNX only won because it was modded and that is not the case. And yes in the right hands they are all pretty close, I have driven A tmaxx, lst, revo, stromSUT pro, and all could get around good. I dont think any one truck just totally shines above another.
Old 08-20-2004, 06:38 PM
repete

ORIGINAL: fhm101

Lifted from the R/C Pro Series rulebook:

55. Tires must be of one piece in circumference. No sectioning or piecing tires together. No spikes, tubes, or additional items to be glued to the outside of tires or passed through from the inside. All tires must be black color. Sidewall lettering colors allowed. Only tires manufactured for a specific class may be used.

It looks like the single best thing the TNX and revo have going for them at the moment is illegal. If you will check the ROAR rules, you will find the same thing as above. It may be worded a bit differently, but it says the same thing.

To simplify for those with trouble following, no cut tires allowed in either rc pro or ROAR scantioned events. Cut wheels are also not allowed.

Of course as I mentioned above, it won't take long for the aftermarket to catch up. From what I hear, Panther already has a tire in the works to fit the revo wheel.
this was not an rc proseries race...those rules do not apply..and as far as roar goes on cuttin tires...it has been done in Norrca and roar races in 1/10 electric and other classes for quite some time...also..as long as the tires fit the required dimensions they are legal..there are no real rules regarding this in monster trucks yet due to it still being rather new..but the tires they ran were not illegal at all..(BTW..none of this is my info..i just took some of this from teh rcca site who were the host of the race)
Old 08-21-2004, 12:02 AM
twisted

yup, how many times have you read in a mag about brian k cutting some tireas up at a big event ? i know i have quite a bit.
Old 08-21-2004, 07:57 AM
fhm101

Guess I should make sure of my facts before I run off at the head. Shows what i know (or care) about ROAR. Sorry about that.
Old 08-21-2004, 05:01 PM
twisted

hey fhm, im one of the guys that dont mind your oppinion.i actualy read alot of your posts and they are most informitive.[8D]
Old 08-21-2004, 09:05 PM
fhm101

I've just gotta learn to quit walking in to the middle of brand specific circle jerks.
Old 08-21-2004, 10:38 PM
twisted

i hear ya. i mean i buy what i like and what works.