Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

Panther Low Profile Tire Size??

Community
Search
Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Panther Low Profile Tire Size??

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2004, 10:29 AM
fhm101

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Panther Low Profile Tire Size??

Hey folks. Since i posted this pic of my friends t maxx I have been getting lots of email inquiring about the wheels and tires. The wheels are made for the traxxas sportmaxx so they will fit any application where a standard maxx wheel is used.

The tires are not 40 series bowties, they are Panther Low Profile Komodo Dragon monster truck tires. Many of the emails have asked about the actual size of the LP tire so here's a pic of a standard maxx bowtie next to an LP tire to give you an idea of their actual size. I should also mention that if you use the LP's on a t maxx you will want to regear your truck. We have been running 22/70 with the LP and it works really well. The LP tire in the photo is mounted on an OFNA wide offset MT wheel for use on a truggy, but these tires will fit any standard maxx size wheel. Oh, and BTW, the standard maxx bowtie is the dirty one.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16905.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	167968   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni23217.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	21.1 KB
ID:	167969  
Old 08-27-2004, 11:40 AM
ThermalRD

Default RE: Panther Low Profile Tire Size??

Sick! I bet that maxx is fun on a track.
Old 08-27-2004, 11:44 AM
creyc

Wow! That maxx looks very nice.

Very nice wheel choice, and the low profile tires look better than I thought they might on a monster truck.
Old 08-27-2004, 11:51 AM
binaryterror

Man I wish I would have bought those instead of the PRP Snakes or whatever I bought (Pro-Line Bow Tie rip offs).
Old 08-27-2004, 01:56 PM
Deandome
My Feedback: (1)

I LIKE the look & logic of these Panther tires...

BUT I'm fairly sure they're ILLEGAL for any sanctioned racing, and even at my 'lil ole track's upcoming "Off-Road Shootout", the signup form clearly sez "No Panther Low Profile Tires".

http://www.rsjraceways.com/Shootout/

Keep this in mind before you get 'em!!

Dean
Old 08-27-2004, 04:56 PM
fhm101

Actually, the only organization currently racing MT with a defined set of rules is the R/C Pro Series and they do allow the LP in both production and unlimited classes.

A set of MT class rules is currently under review by ROAR with plans to run provisional MT classes as for the '05 season to work the bugs out. At the end of the '05 season these rules will be further refined based on actual race experience with at least 2 MT classes to be officially sanctioned by ROAR beginning with the '06 season. The proposed rules already allow the LP in unlimited and there is a push on to get them included in stock as well.

For now though if you race, it would be a good idea to check with you local track or club to see if they allow the LP. Of the three local tracks in my area, 2 allow them and one does not.
Old 08-27-2004, 05:03 PM
Crazy_Coconuts

wait... if you put those tires on a truggy, then wont it be a buggy with wider, low profile tires?? im just curious because i dont understand this stuff too much, but isnt a truggy just a buggy with bigger wheels and higher ground clearance?
Old 08-27-2004, 05:15 PM
i8tweety
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a set of the panther low profiles on my race maxx. They definitely improve handling and flight.
Old 08-27-2004, 05:18 PM
fhm101

ORIGINAL: Crazy_Coconuts
isnt a truggy just a buggy with bigger wheels and higher ground clearance?
There's a little more to it than that, but not much.
Old 08-29-2004, 12:48 AM
monst@r

The Panther LP tire was banned at the Pro-Line Maxx Challenge, which seems to be the trend for monster truck races. Rumors are that Panther are working on another solution.
Old 08-29-2004, 03:08 PM
fhm101

ORIGINAL: S7 Europa

The Panther LP tire was banned at the Pro-Line Maxx Challenge, which seems to be the trend for monster truck races. Rumors are that Panther are working on another solution.
Panther is actually working on several more MT tires.

While some tracks have banned the LP, it is NOT the trend. It is in fact the opposite, more tracks allow it than don't, and many tracks that jumped on the ban-wagon have since changed their minds and now allow the tire. Of 3 local tracks 2 allowed it and 1 did not. The irony here is that the track that banned the tire used to have the largest MT turnout in the area, but since banning the tire it has fallen off to almost nothing. I was out there last night and they had 4 MT's show up. last time I was there before the ban they ran 13 stock trucks and 21 unlimiteds.

The R/C Pro Series allows the use of the panther LP in both production and unlimited.

When ROAR releases their provisional rules for MT later this year the LP will be allowed in unlimited, and based on the amount of feedback they have received from stock racers, they may well allow the LP in that class as well.
Old 08-29-2004, 05:23 PM
biker dude 666

that truck did look cool with those tires and wheels. are they as wide as regular maxx tires and wheels.[sm=spinnyeyes.gif]im all out of wack today.
Old 08-29-2004, 08:27 PM
i8tweety
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They are as wide as the stock t-maxx rim (about half as wide as stock maxx rubber) and mount on standard maxx size rims.
Old 08-29-2004, 11:46 PM
monst@r

ORIGINAL: fhm101

While some tracks have banned the LP, it is NOT the trend. It is in fact the opposite, more tracks allow it than don't, and many tracks that jumped on the ban-wagon have since changed their minds and now allow the tire. Of 3 local tracks 2 allowed it and 1 did not. The irony here is that the track that banned the tire used to have the largest MT turnout in the area, but since banning the tire it has fallen off to almost nothing. I was out there last night and they had 4 MT's show up. last time I was there before the ban they ran 13 stock trucks and 21 unlimiteds.
Hm. That's interesting.

My track only has one monster truck class, which consister of a few Revos, Savages, and MGTs, and one or two E-Maxxes. The only outlaw truck here is a JT Racing HRC. Truggies aren't allowed, unless they still utilize the Maxx bulkhead, which is BS. Electric monster trucks have no limitations.

Haven't seen anyone using Panther LPs here yet .. But if I was to continue my E-Maxx project, I'd definately use them. I'm dropping the project for a TNX because I know for a fact I would spend over 1k on it. Right now I only have Pro-Line upgrades, but I'd move onto either RaceBomb or GorillaMaxx, GorillaMaxx G3 Suspension or UE RacerX, and so forth.

Wish we had an unlimited class here, but I don't see it happening because there wouldn't be enough people. I'd pick up a Hot Bodies Lightning Stadium in a heartbeat (Even if one of my LHS' employee told me if I brought one to the track, he'd literally shove it up my ass).
Old 08-30-2004, 01:27 AM
fhm101

Here in alabummer, trucks are getting to be quite a big deal. I've been to a few local races recently where more trucks than buggies showed up.

As for the electric MT, If i thought i could get 45 minutes of run time out of an electric i'd be on it in a heartbeat. Nitro is cool in it's own way and i run it because it's the only game in town here in the east, but i would love to have a really nice electric MT I could run against the nitros.
Old 08-30-2004, 02:58 AM
monst@r

I think Craps on RCZ/MaxxTraxx got around 45min+ with brushless and lipos in his 1/8 electric buggy, so you might be able to get around 30min for an electric monster truck. With the time saved not having to pit every 10-20 minutes, you'd only need 1 battery change for a 1 hour race which would put you about the same time for nitro.
Old 08-30-2004, 12:27 PM
fhm101

I've already got several ideas for a quick change pack system. Where can I get more info on the latest technology in brushless and batteries?
Old 08-30-2004, 01:05 PM
monst@r

RCZ > Brushless Forum would be a good start. MaxxTraxx is starting to become dead ..