RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Genesis Review part III!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2004, 12:50 PM
radamansx12
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Genesis Review part III!!

All right guys, this is officialy out of hand. The Genesis reveiw II thread was shut down do to people using vulgarity and acting like children (no offence to the younger crowd). This is a great place to meet and exchange ideas, and opinions, CONSTRUCTIVELY!! I understand some people are upset and you have every right to be but don't come here to rant and rave. WE DON'T WANT TO HEAR IT! If it works tell us. IF it doesn't tell us. If it could be made better tell us. The moderators have informed me that the trouble makers (you know who you are) are being closely watched and will be dealt with. Let's make this work guys and girls. It's not that hard.

Anybody got any updates on there Genesis?
Old 09-10-2004, 02:05 PM
tomandemmy
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Genesis Review part III!!

batch 3 will have some upgraded materials where they see fit.This is according to CEN as i emailed asking about any changes.Nothing specific was given thanks.
Old 09-10-2004, 02:56 PM
caseyddr

RC Car gave the genesis a great review, but then again they never give a bad one --x. They said nothing broke though during the 1 hour of testing, and only down side was the braking.
Old 09-10-2004, 02:59 PM
MT RC

so they are gonna make a even better batch 3? what kind of upgraded stuff will the 3rd batch have on them?
Old 09-10-2004, 04:27 PM
Haldir

I can't wait until the new version comes out!

I wish there was a R/C forum just for adults!
Old 09-10-2004, 04:33 PM
MT RC

why do you wish that?
Old 09-10-2004, 06:16 PM
UTvols

What was the diff grease weights for this POS?

Anyone remember? I think they were posted in the deleted thread.
Old 09-10-2004, 08:06 PM
radamansx12

ORIGINAL: caseyddr

RC Car gave the genesis a great review, but then again they never give a bad one --x. They said nothing broke though during the 1 hour of testing, and only down side was the braking.
Actually they did say that a gear lost a tooth and that CEN was working on an upgrade (the machined gears).
Old 09-11-2004, 06:08 AM
RC_Maniac

Hopefully this thread keeps open for a long time without any name-calling, swearing or what so ever...

Yesterday my 21T Pinion ran of the clutch-bell... they probably forgot to use some thread lock...

After inspection I saw that again the Brake Drive Cup is worn a bit... the material it is made off is too soft to handle the power... Maybe CEN can make an upgrade for this part to.

Have send CEN several e-mail, but they are not responding on them... Send them my orange failsafe to get the care-pack, but the package hasn't arrived and might be lost...

Getting parts for the Genesis is allmost impossible in The Netherlands... so I have to order them in the USA untill CEN sends me the care-pack...
Old 09-11-2004, 02:34 PM
Orlando69

Hello all[8D]. I would like to know what comes with the 3rd batch trucks and the associated upgrades given therein. I own a second batch truck and from what I was told I was to have the machined steel spur gears and my Genesis does not have these gears. I (thankfully) have not had any problems with my cast/molded gears yet as of tank 20. I am experiencing other problems like:

-----ALL My drive cups are wearing prematurly,,
-----One of my dogbones has snapped off one side of it's pin,,I think this is because of the now wear/slack in the drive cups,,
-----The stock supplied glow plug's winding/coil looked kind've irregular and I did not use it from the beginning. I replaced it with a medium plug and use this same plug to this day as of 20 tanks,,
-----A couple of the shocks leak fluid and were that way when I took my Genesis out of the box,,
-----Tore my body in the back right in front of the rear body mounts because of the easy wheelies. I need a skid plate/wheelie bar and I have richened my low end needle so I do not overpower and wheelie from a dead start. I need a new body(DOH!!),,
-----The grab handle is flimsy as we all know. But if the handle is only designed and meant to pick the Genesis up then it does it's job 100 percent.
-----The brakes do stop the .46 Genesis but I will improve them by installing a better radio and or servos.

I have modified my Genesis so far.

-----I installed a CVEC tuned pipe and the performance is great. This pipe is loud just so you know. This pipe has been dis-continued from CVEC and is no longer availabe so finding one may be a problem.
-----I improved my exhaust flow by doing alittle machining and polishing to the internals of the exhaust pipework from header to exhaust tip. Better flow equals better performance in my opinion.

Future upgrades may be,,

-----New improved head available from NOVA as seen on E-bay.
-----Better radio and servos for better steering/brakes and response.
-----Mabey some titanium available from hardcore racing
-----AND make this beast as light as possible!!!!!!

PEACE>>>"O"
Old 09-11-2004, 03:16 PM
Orlando69

OH yeah,,one other thing. I appreciate the fact that there are people on this site who are trying to "weed-out" the people who have nothing to contribute but nasty/immature/pointless/un-needed/hurt-full comments. I HOPE this review stays open so that the people who really have something of value to say about the Genesis can do so wether it is good things or bad things. I also hope that people are not afraid to be descriptive in what they explain because it is MOST important to make sure that we understand what we are all saying by-way-of our words and descriptions.

PEACE and I hope to read more ,,>>"O"
Old 09-11-2004, 06:06 PM
eternaldragon

does any one know what the stock carb settings are i sealed the back plate and carb with rtv and it idles really erotically now it keeps revving up no matter what i do to the settings right know so i was going to reset the carb back to factory and see if that helps.
Old 09-11-2004, 07:19 PM
bustergonad

How about this one. Today the pin that sits in the locking block in the center diff broke, no biggie I thought I'll strip the tranny down and take the locking block out and put the center diff gears in. So I put the gears in put the truck together, loaded the family in the van and went for a bash. Well I started the truck and gave it some gas, the thing wouldn't move. I switched between fwd and rev thinking maybe it hadn't seated properly, no joy. So I pick the truck up off the ground and the front wheels were going forward and the rear wheels were going backwards ***!!
Well I'm off the strip the tranny down again to find out what I did wrong...

More to come....

Buster
Old 09-11-2004, 09:07 PM
Jected

ORIGINAL: bustergonad

How about this one. Today the pin that sits in the locking block in the center diff broke, no biggie I thought I'll strip the tranny down and take the locking block out and put the center diff gears in. So I put the gears in put the truck together, loaded the family in the van and went for a bash. Well I started the truck and gave it some gas, the thing wouldn't move. I switched between fwd and rev thinking maybe it hadn't seated properly, no joy. So I pick the truck up off the ground and the front wheels were going forward and the rear wheels were going backwards ***!!

More to come....

Buster
I don't think you need to strip it down. Just check that the grub screw connecting the drive cup to your diff hasn't fallen out or isn't loose. This happened to me on both the front and rear and I determined that they never had any thread lock on them. I have since done this and haven't had a problem since. Check these before you pull it down.
Old 09-11-2004, 10:12 PM
binaryterror

More to come....

Buster
Thats easy fix...you put one of the diffs in backwards...my X-Factor will do this if you aren;t careful.
Old 09-11-2004, 10:13 PM
binaryterror

-----AND make this beast as light as possible!!!!!!
LOL what about 16lbs? if you do go about lightening it up let us now how low you get with the diet.
Old 09-11-2004, 10:22 PM
MT RC

ORIGINAL: binaryterror

More to come....

Buster
Thats easy fix...you put one of the diffs in backwards...my X-Factor will do this if you aren;t careful.
Hey bt, didnt you say you were selling your x factor on the xtm forums? cause of some money issues, but I suppose you got through them and so did you x factor, huh!
Old 09-12-2004, 07:16 AM
RC_Maniac

Orlando69:
-----ALL My drive cups are wearing prematurly,,
-----One of my dogbones has snapped off one side of it's pin,,I think this is because of the now wear/slack in the drive cups,,
-----The stock supplied glow plug's winding/coil looked kind've irregular and I did not use it from the beginning. I replaced it with a medium plug and use this same plug to this day as of 20 tanks,,
-----A couple of the shocks leak fluid and were that way when I took my Genesis out of the box,,
-----The brakes do stop the .46 Genesis but I will improve them by installing a better radio and or servos.
I checked my drive cups, ther are wearing prematurly also... Allready have a new brake drive cup, but this one is again getting bad... The material they are made off is too soft to handle all this power...

The shop where I bought my car did replace the glowplug... the stock supplied glowplug will break when you start the car with a 2 Volt glowplug driver... We have no OS glowplugs, only Rossi...

Have no leaking shocks, have put some shock covers on the truck to prevent the shock from getting dirty... The front and back bumper should have made fron anodized alu, the chome is getting loose from the plastic...

Braking is bad, I have a 1st batch car so I have to replace the brake-servo to get it better, but my reseller will not give me the CARE-PACK... have to pay to get the machined gears and new servo's! Hopefully CEN USA will help me out!
Old 09-12-2004, 11:06 AM
bustergonad

ORIGINAL: binaryterror

More to come....

Buster
Yup, When the truck first broke I thought it was the rear diff so I took that apart (what a pain in the ass the get that out [>:] ) then I found out it was the pin in the center diff that broke. Anyway to cut a long story short I had put the rear diff in upside down so I had to dismantle the rear end again. It's all back together now and I'm off to give it a shake down.

Buster
Old 09-12-2004, 04:23 PM
toto67

Hi, since today at 5 pm I'm a depressed owner of a Genesis, before I was a happy one...
Here is my story and what I've written to CEN.
So far I’ve made the break-in and I’ve run around 10 more thanks.
I had to use my R/C transmitter and receiver due to the fact that the original one had a really bad behaviour, the gas servo didn’t move smoothly and the steering one turned much more on one side then on the other.
I had to put 2 longer break linkage to help the servo, it still doesn’t break hard but it’s better than before.
The 3rd gear never came in due to a too soft GS062 shaft that has many grooves caused by the one way gear GS052, so the shaft wasn’t allowed to rotate free from the gear.
I’ve lock the internal expanding clutch GS068 to prevent to burn it.
I’ve noticed a premature wearing of the output shaft of the centre diff (#G094) and of the front and rear diff (#GS029).
So I decided to put the centre diff gears that you supply.
I was planning to buy an Airtronics R/C MX3 with a 200 oz. servo for the steering, the original is REALLY underpowered, but…….
Today I was driving it on a sandy track and it suddenly stop.
The result is:
• gear GS006 has 2broken teeth
• gear GS085 has 1 broken tooth
• gear GS086 has many broken teeth
• gear GS052 has 1 broken tooth
• gear GS053 has 1 broken tooth
• 1st shift shaft GS061 is bended
• as I’ve said before the shaft GS062 is damaged by the needles of the GS052 gear.
• the engine runs great but the front bearing leaks oil…..

I think that the situation is unsustainable, I don’t know what to do.
I’m scared that if I repair the car something else will break again….
Are you sure that you’ve treated properly all the shafts, output shafts and gears in my car?
The shafts and output shafts are as soft as butter they wear out like crazy, it seems that they’re made of mild steel and that you haven’t hardened them.[]

I have already welded the break cup than with a file I adjusted it, it works great now, the material is just too soft.[:@]
If you make the two break rods longer you can get a really good stopping power.

I'll let you know.
Old 09-12-2004, 08:04 PM
bustergonad

Well finally a day of bashing without braking anything I was just running in a large parking lot but did some small jumps over parking blocks. I've just about got the 2nd gear to shift consistently but still no 3rd, although I haven't tried to adjust it yet. I cut out the windshield on the body and the truck is finally running at a good temp, actually it's a little on the low side (220 f) so I've got a little room to lean it out yet. I still haven't got the low end right so no wheelies yet. I had to change my plug back to an A8 from an R5, the R5 is just too cold for the truck, it kept on stalling and it was difficult to start. Now have the temp sorted out I'm not burning up plugs, and it starts on the first pull almost everytime. I also have the Nova Race Pro head and it seems to work quite well.
I flipped the truck a few times and it held together well.
Now onto the gripes...
The steering and radio absolutely suck!!!
When doing a high speed run it would turn one direction fine but when I tried to change direction it would just keep turning in in a big circle, I would have to slow to a virtual stop to change direction. I tried messing with the steering trims, changing the batts in the radio, moving the position of the control rod on the steering servo horn and still the truck wouldn't turn correctly. When I held the truck off the ground the wheels would turn fine in both directions but once running the steering turns to mush. I'm guessing a weak steering servo and an underpowered radio are to blame. I'm going to upgrade the radio to a JR XR3I in a couple of months and get some stronger servos but until then I'm going to stick to running on grass where the steering seems to work better.

All in all a good day, I'm almost through 2 gallons now and the engine is running good, I do have a small leak from the front engine bearing but it's not enough to concern me yet. And frankly I'm surprised there are not more leaks, I've had this engine over 380f more that once. Also I think I'm going to switch back to O'Donnel Racing Fuel which I used during the brake in, I'm using Trinity Monster Fuel right now and the engine seems to like the O'Donnel fuel better.

More to come....

Buster
Old 09-12-2004, 08:27 PM
Jected

Glad to see it running well for you mate. Keep us posted.
Old 09-12-2004, 09:08 PM
Jected

Well finally a day of bashing without braking anything I was just running in a large parking lot but did some small jumps over parking blocks. I've just about got the 2nd gear to shift consistently but still no 3rd, although I haven't tried to adjust it yet. I cut out the windshield on the body and the truck is finally running at a good temp, actually it's a little on the low side (220 f) so I've got a little room to lean it out yet. I still haven't got the low end right so no wheelies yet. I had to change my plug back to an A8 from an R5, the R5 is just too cold for the truck, it kept on stalling and it was difficult to start. Now have the temp sorted out I'm not burning up plugs, and it starts on the first pull almost everytime. I also have the Nova Race Pro head and it seems to work quite well.
I flipped the truck a few times and it held together well.
Now onto the gripes...
The steering and radio absolutely suck!!!
When doing a high speed run it would turn one direction fine but when I tried to change direction it would just keep turning in in a big circle, I would have to slow to a virtual stop to change direction. I tried messing with the steering trims, changing the batts in the radio, moving the position of the control rod on the steering servo horn and still the truck wouldn't turn correctly. When I held the truck off the ground the wheels would turn fine in both directions but once running the steering turns to mush. I'm guessing a weak steering servo and an underpowered radio are to blame. I'm going to upgrade the radio to a JR XR3I in a couple of months and get some stronger servos but until then I'm going to stick to running on grass where the steering seems to work better.

All in all a good day, I'm almost through 2 gallons now and the engine is running good, I do have a small leak from the front engine bearing but it's not enough to concern me yet. And frankly I'm surprised there are not more leaks, I've had this engine over 380f more that once. Also I think I'm going to switch back to O'Donnel Racing Fuel which I used during the brake in, I'm using Trinity Monster Fuel right now and the engine seems to like the O'Donnel fuel better.

More to come....

Buster
Hey Buster....
I'm using a JRXS3 75mHz radio.
Old 09-13-2004, 04:53 AM
RC_Maniac

ORIGINAL: toto67

• the engine runs great but the front bearing leaks oil…..
Was checking my car today after a quick spin yesterday... saw a little oil on the motorplate so I supose my front bearing is leaking oil as wel (can't find another reason why there is oil on the motor plate!)...

What kind of receiverpacks do you use? I suppose a 4.8 Volt has not enough power for braking and steering...

Someone advised me to use a 6.0 Volt humppack, and also use a Y-kabel to connect it to one of the three channels of my receiver instead of the battery-connector!
Old 09-13-2004, 07:21 AM
MrMijago

Hi @ All,

my front bearing is leaking too! On Tank Nr. 16th!

Is this a problem?? What can i do???

Thx!

Patrick

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.