Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

SAVAGE 25 VS. REVO

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2004, 05:38 PM
johnboy_92

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SAVAGE 25 VS. REVO

I was wondering which truck is good 4 cruisin around at home with and occationally racing????Savage 25 or Revo???also it needs to be durible and inexpensive because im only 13 and need something that will not be really expensive.
Old 09-27-2004, 05:49 PM
oatmealman
Banned
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: SAVAGE 25 VS. REVO

a savage defiantley,there durable pretty fast for something that weights more than 9lbs and there just -plain better
Old 09-27-2004, 05:53 PM
Dale Gribble
My Feedback: (4)

You may want to really think about what you want because you can't use 'nitro' and 'not expensive' in the same sentence.

Savage is cheaper out of the gate- but don't let that confuse you. With the Savage you get basically an RTR- Truck, remote and roto start. You will need a 7.2V and charger for the rotostart and a glow starter. With the Revo, you get 2 steering servos, a niMH Rx battery w/peak charger, EZ start a failsafe and a few other things. You will need a 7.2V battery and charger.

So, Savage 25s are going for $379 + $15 decent 7.2V battery + $15 glow starter +$40 peak charger + $5 12 AA's + $5 fuel bottle + $15 gallon of nitro = $474

Revo's are $469 or so + $15 7.2V + $40 peak charger + $3 8 AA's + $5 fuel bottle + $15 gallon of nitro = $547

Revo is only $70 more and you get a failsafe, nimh battery, 2 steering servos, EZ start, etc...

If you are really worried about $$$, if I were you I would get a CEN MT2 or maybe RC10GT and put the rest away for parts and maintenance...

This stuff is not cheap. Revo or Savage, parts will break and they will cost $$$... Maintenance costs $$$... Fuel costs $$$...

Just make sure you look beyond the initial cost and really realize that there are substantial upkeep and running costs for these...
Old 09-27-2004, 06:02 PM
johnboy_92

i can handle most of those things and i know nitro MTs are expensive to keep up but i just wanted to know which would be the cheapest to keep up of the 2.
Old 09-27-2004, 06:04 PM
Acs_guitars
My Feedback: (3)

This topic is WAY over-done in these forums... Revo = Racer out of the box, basher with some mods and upgrades. Savage = Basher out of the box, racer with some mods and upgrades. If you want a racer get the Revo, if you want 10x's the durability, get a Savage.
Old 09-27-2004, 08:15 PM
Kemo

Um, of course the Savage has more durability... ever think of why it has thicker and bigger parts and why its "1/8th" scaled? I was watching one of Traxxas revo vids of them jumping it about 20 ft in the air doing tricks, and note that it DIDN'T even break. Here is the RCU review: http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...article_id=409

If you want something race ready, go Revo. If you want a strong basher/racer, go CEN MT2. If all else fails, fall back on a Savage (i have yet to resort to this option).
Old 09-28-2004, 08:43 PM
fastcrash

i have both. i love both. since you are a newcomer to r/c mt's, i'd choose savage only for the reasons you've chose, durability and price. if i had to pick between the two, id choose revo, for more reasons than i feel like typing.[X(]
Old 09-28-2004, 09:50 PM
HelicopterPilot

the revo is just as durable as the savage just go to traxxas forums watch the videos and check out the picks of massive jumps you can also check out maxxtraxx
Old 09-28-2004, 09:52 PM
HelicopterPilot

here is a killer movie http://www.rcpics.net/media/revo.wmv <-copy and paste
Old 09-28-2004, 09:59 PM
HelicopterPilot

wicked pics http://monster.traxxas.com/showthrea...hreadid=248740
Old 09-28-2004, 10:07 PM
HelicopterPilot

not the best landings but it proves its durable http://www.rcpics.net/view_single.php?medid=39145
Old 09-28-2004, 11:13 PM
mini ripper

Hi,
That video sure does settle the durability argument once and for all the Revo sure is as durable as the Savage if not more so, I own both trucks and can tell you with more than a £1000 pumped into my Savage it is no where near as much fun to drive as my Revo and my Revo is stock no mods what so ever and the Savage does need mods to make it durable.
So with my experience’s if I were to have only one of these trucks it would be the Revo hands down I wouldn’t even hesitate about it don’t get me wrong the Savage is a very good truck but it is a pig to work on and to change the battery is a total mare to do.

All the best

Gareth
Old 09-28-2004, 11:17 PM
HelicopterPilot

thank you and this is why i have a revo it also gives the revo a fair chance i mean there is so much prejudice on the revo i guess some people cant accept that traxxas actually made a outstanding truck
Old 09-28-2004, 11:55 PM
Acs_guitars

I seriously doubt that it is more durable than the Savage, that is a big claim to make. I have yet to see(in person) that it is even as durable as the Savage. No truck should break under any normal jumping conditions unless it is an extreme height jump. I still see broken suspension arms everyday from simple curb, tree, car, and sign post collisions which I know from personal experience a Savage can take in stride(I seem to be a bad driver off the track[&:]). I will say, it is definitely more durable than the stock T-maxx though, no doubt about that.
Recently I have come to like the REVO though, it seems TRAXXAS raised their standards in stock quality parts, the durability is not becasue of cheap plastics, but it was a sacrifice for light weight design. As thin as the suspension arms are (compared to a Savage) they are remarkably strong. The engine still has the inheirent problems of the original TRX 2.5 as far as the tuning and reliability go, when dialed in though it can be a wheelie monster.
For bashing I would certainly perfer the Savage though, it has un-deniable durability over most trucks (from my experience), it can take hardcore abuse and come out full bore. The stock engine, when tuned right with a good pipe, can perform fairly well, though with a MACH .26 it really comes to life and screams. The suspension on the Savage is also a little more plush which makes landings a little easier to drive out of, and gives more ground clearance. Another thing about the Savage... There is word (from Xtreme RC Magazine) out that HPI is going to produce a 3-speed transmission for the Savage which will give a lower first gear (better torque and wheelies), and a higher final gear(more top speed). Anyway, these are the facts as I know them from driving and working with these trucks... So you actually can't go wrong with either. I still say out of the box-- REVO=Racer SAVAGE=Basher
Just my 2 cents.
Old 09-29-2004, 12:00 AM
Acs_guitars

ORIGINAL: HelicopterPilot

thank you and this is why i have a revo it also gives the revo a fair chance i mean there is so much prejudice on the revo i guess some people cant accept that traxxas actually made a outstanding truck
The only reason for the "predjudice" is because the quality of stock t-maxx parts (mainly plastic parts) was not that great and it took 100's of $$ to make it a rock solid truck. This is what I had done before buying a Savage. With the Savage's out of the box bulit proof parts my opinion of TRAXXAS went to near hatred simply because they could have made a better quality product from the start. I have found the REVO is much, much better in quality parts and now my opinion is changing.
Old 09-29-2004, 06:01 PM
HelicopterPilot

nice debate well just to remeber the revo is completely different than the t-maxx
Old 09-29-2004, 08:28 PM
Acs_guitars

ORIGINAL: HelicopterPilot

nice debate well just to remeber the revo is completely different than the t-maxx
Yes, I know... That is what I like most lol
Old 09-29-2004, 08:30 PM
ICrashThings

i wanna see 2 MT's just play chicken...whos with me?
Old 09-30-2004, 12:20 PM
fastcrash

ORIGINAL: ICrashThings

[sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 09-30-2004, 03:33 PM
MrSavage

alrighty, here is my opinion...the savage is the greatest truck ever. i love mine...maybe even more than my hyper, lol. its durable AS CRAP, fast, reliable, and mainly it has a big block engine, whcih is a huge plus. BUT! even you don't have a lot of money you may not want it because in my opinion, it needs a few things done before its worthy. for instance, it needs the diff mod, the throttle mod, and some sort of tank mod. not to mention you'll want a rechargeable rx pack (which the revo comes with). so, the savage can get expensive if you want it to be very reliable. no doubt the revo will do better for racing out of the box but the savage can bash the heck out of any other truck...
Old 09-30-2004, 04:01 PM
neil.jb

ORIGINAL: ICrashThings

i will run my savage into anything

although i am kinda liking the revo, i think i may end up with one soon
Old 09-30-2004, 04:07 PM
RevoBasher

Well if you want to see how durable the Revo is, go see my videos at these 2 links: http://www.rcpics.net/img/39177 and http://www.rcpics.net/img/39216
The entire time in the first video, I was running with 3 broken shock rod ends that I just popped back in. In th end of the vid I had only ripped the exhause coupler and thats it! Second video is just some crashes and what not, I ended up snapping the bottom Right A-Arm but I mean look what I put the truck through!

-Mary
Old 09-30-2004, 05:03 PM
MrSavage

i give you props for that man, you did bash your truck pretty hard.no doubt the revo is more durable than the maxx but i still think the savvy has it beat in that department. but those were great vids dude, thanks for that.
Old 09-30-2004, 07:00 PM
sarpiparpi

i think revo is a hummer h2 and savage is a military humvee
Old 10-01-2004, 06:53 AM
MrSavage

thats a fair comparison...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.