Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

A-arms upgrade for GS SUT?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2004, 06:46 AM
Stevecut

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A-arms upgrade for GS SUT?

Are there upgrade A-arms or mods to eliminate the wheel extenders on the standard GS SUT? I am considering buying this truck and this does look it would be it's weak point, am I right in assuming this?
Old 09-29-2004, 09:43 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts
Default RE: A-arms upgrade for GS SUT?

They seam to be holding up fine, and many guys are running t-maxx wheels without problems

Another option for you would be to run the Ofna (MT-3 splits) wheels and use the stock 17mm hubs or like I have on my Hyper truggy use the ofna 15mm extenders.
Old 09-29-2004, 10:22 AM
fhm101

ORIGINAL: Stevecut

Are there upgrade A-arms or mods to eliminate the wheel extenders on the standard GS SUT? I am considering buying this truck and this does look it would be it's weak point, am I right in assuming this?
While the wheel extenders are not a weak point, I have been building SUT's using the GS wide buggy drives and OFNA dominator wheels with panther LP tires. Doing this will give you much tighter turn in.

I have seen a SUT run with a prototype native racing tomahawk suspension kit on it and it's a real step up from the standard arms and extenders. It's a bit spendy for my taste but if you are interested, check it out at native's web site.
Old 09-29-2004, 02:22 PM
Stevecut

It is interesting and looks the business but you're right a bit expensive although the kit consists of more than just the A-arms. I am tempted though, the only problem is what if I break say the lower front A-arm would I be able to buy just that? I wouldn't want to buy the whole kit everytime I break something.
Old 09-29-2004, 02:31 PM
otterball21
My Feedback: (1)

I haven't broken any A arms with my truck, the truck has the extenders, the extenders are a thick half inch aluminum core that are held onto the original hubs. I have maximizer rims and pin tires for racing on it. it holds up excellent! I haven't had any damage to my truck at all, nothing that I have noticed...
Old 09-29-2004, 03:30 PM
cemeb4dk

The stock arms are weak, I have broke my share. The extenders are strong, but they have a little to much play in them, I am thinking about going with the 17mm extenders and dropping in 17mm wheels, I think this should tighten up play on the wheel. Because I can rock the wheel slightly back and forth and the cva and everything moves. The above mentioned aluminum set up does look sweet and tempting I was thinking about going with fioroni arms, but they are like 190 just for the lowers arms, so the other might be a better deal.
Old 09-29-2004, 03:36 PM
cemeb4dk

fhm do you have any pics, of this tomahawk suspension . the website doesn't show it very well.
Old 09-29-2004, 03:37 PM
binaryterror

ORIGINAL: cemeb4dk

Because I can rock the wheel slightly back and forth and the cva and everything moves.
Couldn't you shim behind the stock extenders, thus taking the play out?
Old 09-29-2004, 04:53 PM
fhm101

Jim has been keeping his truck close to the vest at races so i don't have any detail shots, but here's the only pic I have that shows the native truck in action and it's not very good. It's the one leading the pack of 3 at mid corner. You can however see the suspension action compared to a truggy. You can see how the longer arms really bring the big tires in to play versus the short arm w/offset wheel configuration.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	By76372.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	178024  
Old 09-29-2004, 07:16 PM
scale only 4 me

fhm101
What do you think about the way the GS extenders with the offset maxx wheels affect the arc of the steering vs. shorter pivot of the 17mm hubs?
Do you think this affects the steering and roll of the Truggy enough to notice?

I was running just the ofna wheels alone on my H7 truggy and when I added the 15mm extenders, it seamed to smooth out the steering, but it seams the steering reaction time is slower. I’m not sure if its smoother because of the extra arc, the added torque necessary to turn the wheels slowing the servo, or just the wider stance. I think a wider stance with a shorter arc would be best,

Your thoughts?
Old 09-30-2004, 10:04 AM
fhm101

That's a very good question and to be honest i've never thought about it in terms of arc at the steering pivot. I've always thought of it in terms of lag between steering input and vehicle reaction. The longer the delay the sooner you have to get out of the throttle to set up for a turn so I always try for as quick a reaction from of my steering as i can get. The downside is you really have to be on your toes out of the turn because you give up forward stability to get quicker turn in. Unless it's a high speed sweeper, you always have to slow for corners anyway so I would rather give up some stability in the occasional high speed turn for the bit of extra throttle time before braking going into the majority of turns. The reason I'm using the setup I have on my SUT is it has proven to react quicker than any other setup I've tried on it so far. While the short pivot gives me quicker steering i have not had to change anything else due to excessive body roll. I run the same shock setup for the short as i do the long and it seems to work well with both.
Old 09-30-2004, 10:21 AM
scale only 4 me

I just thought maybe you've notice a diference since you said some of the SUTs you built used the ofna wheels and some the GS extendors/maxx wheels. It seams to me you'd have more consistant turning with less roll with the shorter arc.

I'm looking at the Native racing set up and it seams like it would push the track width out and lessen the arc if the ofna wheel set up was used. Looks like it would be something fun to try on my Hyper truggy. I wonder if the Kyosho kit would fit the Hyper?? maybe I'll shoot him an email and find out. After all Xmas is coming