Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Need some help

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2004, 02:43 PM
BillyPratt75

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some help

I am looking at buying my first nitro truck and I am currently looking at the savage and the MGT. I am looking for something that is fairly easy to work on and something that has a good running, reliable engine. The savage and the MGT seem to be two good choices, but I don't really know what advantages and disadvantages they each have. I have read quite a bit about both of these trucks on this forum, but I still have a few questions. I realize that out of the box, the savage is faster and most say more durable. Is this true all the way around or is it closer than many say? Is the savage so much more durable that I should over look the MGT?
I will be running the truck in the backyard and at a friend's track. (he has a 1/8 scale buggy and a pretty nice track) I realize that I have no chance in beating him, but that's not really an issue. I just want to have something that can handle both situations well. I have read that the engine on the MGT is great and can be easily tuned. I like the fact that it can be started with the pull start or the drill. I have heard both sides for the savage. Some say it is easy to tune and strong running, while others say trash the engine and buy another. I have also heard there are problems with the gas tank on the savage. It seems to run lean when there is a half a tank or less. Is this a major problem, and is there an issue similar to this on the MGT?
I have also heard that the shocks on the MGT are terrible and need to be changed as soon as you buy it. I won't be jumping this thing off of the house, so will this be an issue? I don't really know what else to ask. I am just trying to get a better idea of which truck will suit me and I want to figure this out before I drop $400-$600 on this thing. I would really be interested in hearing from people who have either owned or currently own both of these trucks. Thanks for any information on the subject.
Old 10-22-2004, 03:27 PM
fourwheeler

Default RE: Need some help

I own both and this is my take on the subject. It would be easier to make the Savage a better racer than it would to bring the MGT up to the durability of the Savage.
Old 10-22-2004, 03:49 PM
Kemo

I normally dont back up savage drivers but its true. Savage parts are nice and durable, MGT are a hair on the weaker side. I can't wait to see a savage with the 3 speed, it should have the oomf that a savage SHOULD have (not that the amount it has is horrible or anything).
Old 10-22-2004, 04:00 PM
BillyPratt75

Well, I guess the savage is more durable. As of right now, I think I am leaning in that direction. If anyone else has an opinion, please reply.
Old 10-22-2004, 04:27 PM
XenX

iv got an MGT, so u know which one i wanted more, hehe

to be honest i think they are so evenly matched you wont be dissapointed whichever u get,

i got the MGT due to Thunder Tiger/Associated being the ONLY parts you can get off the shelf where i live but now i have it i wouldnt trade it in im happy, and if it aint broke, dont fix it :P
Old 10-22-2004, 04:56 PM
ThermalRD

I've had them both. I'll point out some likes, and dis-likes i have with each one. Then you can decide what fits you best.

MGT
Engine: The .21 on the MGT is awesome. Great power, extremely user friendly. Always starts, and runs flawlessly for me.

Steering: The steering setup is nice. There is ZERO slop in it. However the turning radius is wide. Needs some setup changes to get a good turn out of it. Also note that i run on a TIGHT track. AE also supports this truck with an 8th scale style servo saver (factory team upgrade).

Drive train: Starting with the slipper, you'll notice its an old design. The truck uses a module 1 gear setup, with friction pegs like the original, and current t-maxx trucks. However, it works, so you its hard to complain. I think they could do better. Next up is the tranny. Forward to reverse shifts are flawless, with the option of a FOC kit. Next in line are the CVD's. The truck uses large CVD's at all corners, and at the center. Myself and many others had a hard time keeping the joint pins in the CVD's. Dont tighten them too much, or they'll crack. Last mention is the diffs. They are fully sealed units, and to my knowledge they were spiral, or helical cut. Nice diffs, i never had a problem with them. My only complaint was at the time they ONLY sold them as a whole unit, for roughly 50 dollars. They may have changed that by now.

Suspension: No complaints here. Yes they were plastic bodies, Yes they have fake reservoirs. I ran many many times on a track with a well dialed suspension, never had a problem. Of course, there is a nice factory team upgrade for that as well.
Brakes: Nice setup, very common on todays monsters. Large fiber disc. No complaints here. Smooth, never binding action.

Exhaust: Very very very LOUD!!! The exhaust dumps out underneath the rear suspension arm. Nice and clean. Oh, and did i mention it was LOUD!!!!?

Build quality: The chassis is extruded, and indestructible. However the plastic is far from reliable. The truck breaks very easy in my opinion. Suspension arms, body posts, shock towers, skids, and bumpers, all break very easily. RPM now makes suspension arms, and a kit to run the RPM maxx knuckles on the MGT. Which still leaves you with the other mentioned parts breaking real easy.

Savage
Engine: The nitro star .25 breaks in real easy, and tunes easy. It seems to run cool as well. Decent power.

Steering: Here is where the savage suffers. It requires a few front yards to turn around. Very wide steering on this truck, with alot of slop in the linkage. It uses a standard servo saver, thats relatively weak. Many people opt for the MP steering mod, or the new steering kit by GH. Which will still leave you steering wide, but more consistant.

Drive train: The slipper design is pretty nice here, one pad on the back side of the spur handles the power. The tranny is known to handle alot of power. Next in line would be your output shafts. In this case the savage uses bones, not CVD's. The stock setup wil handle the stock power. I recommend the upgrade to the HD bones. Last you have the diffs. They suck, every savage owner knows they suck. You will be doing the 4 spider mod at the very least. You should expect to become very familiar with the assembly of these diffs. They blow real easy.

Suspension: I've never had any complaints about the stock savage shocks. I've actually had less problems with the plastic savage shocks, than i have with aluminum savage shocks. Only complaint is how stiff the stock springs are.

Exhaust: Again, very loud. Wether its the stock savage RTR pipe, or the SS pipe. Both are very loud. The SS pipe is actualy a very good performer. After trying many pipes, i still use the SS pipe.

Build quality: Here is where the savage shines. Its plastic is amazing. The TVP design is amazing as well. Since the release of the savage i have yet to break a suspension arm on ANY of the 3 savages i've had here. The truck is solid as a rock, and takes a serious beating. The chassis design is slightly harder to work on, but the payoff is durability.

Thats my take on the two trucks. If i left anything out, just ask. Both trucks are good options in my eyes. To my knowledge, they are also both pretty cheap.
Old 10-22-2004, 05:25 PM
Tnx_4_life

well, 30 mins wizer now

Tim
Old 10-22-2004, 10:41 PM
BillyPratt75

Thremal, I really appreciate you taking the time to explain this to me. These trucks seem to be so close that I am still having a hard time figuring out what I should do. I guess I'm going to have to just jump in and buy one and see what happens. The only question I can think of right now is the issue concerning the savage's fuel tank. I have heard that the truck runs lean when you approach a half empty tank. Is this true and is there a fix for this?
Old 10-22-2004, 11:07 PM
oatmealman
Banned
My Feedback: (1)

yes theres a fix for it
Old 10-23-2004, 01:21 AM
fastcrash

ORIGINAL: BillyPratt75

Thremal, I really appreciate you taking the time to explain this to me. These trucks seem to be so close that I am still having a hard time figuring out what I should do. I guess I'm going to have to just jump in and buy one and see what happens. The only question I can think of right now is the issue concerning the savage's fuel tank. I have heard that the truck runs lean when you approach a half empty tank. Is this true and is there a fix for this?

i've heard that about the t-maxx, but not the savage(not to say that it isnt true)but i have not experienced that, and i have the original savage .21 version. i dont have any experience with the mgt so i wont give any opinion on it, but i have beaten the everloving $#!*&$ out of my savage and it still has the same plastics as when i bought it. i can say that for no other model i have ever owned. i also havent experienced any diff failure, even with the ofna .26 outlaw that has powered the truck since that engine came out. although i have snapped some dogbones. hot bodies makes cvd's for the center and rear of the truck that are very strong, and cheap. also to consider,is which truck is better supported by your lhs. a broken down truck is no fun. good luck, and i hope you enjoy your new truck.
Old 10-24-2004, 04:36 PM
BillyPratt75

Any other opinions?
Old 10-24-2004, 05:16 PM
Tnx_4_life

well if ur gonna take savage, id get the spidermod straight away. makes the diff hold up better. thats just what i haerd alot of ppl say.

but i tihnk savage would be a very good choice. i dont know the other but the savage is a god truck, my friend has it and the only prob he had was that the screws of his roto start vibrated out...

Tim