Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

Which is the better truck for me?

Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum
View Poll Results: A poll
HPI Savage 2.5 RTR
54.55%
Traxxas 2.5 Revo RTR
45.45%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Which is the better truck for me?

Old 11-29-2004, 10:50 AM
Naim.F.C

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which is the better truck for me?

Ok so basically, I am new to this whole Nitro RC business.
I've had quite powerful electric ones before, but nothing quite like these Nitro ones.

My Dilema is this...

The new Traxxas Revo RTR? Or the HPI Savage 2.5 RTR?
I want the truck to run on stock alone...I dont have the time or effort to add hop ups and so on...

I love BIG trucks (I suppose both are big compared to stuff I've had before), I want the trucks to be able to eat any curb or bump, or mound etc...
I have alot of cow meadows and hills, forests, woods and so on around my area.
So off road torque is vital I guess...
I want it to be durable as possible as I honestly dont really want to get in to buying and fixing new parts unless its TOTALLY unavoidable. So it has to be able to take a beating.
Speed is also important...but I'm not buying to race...but I would love for it to be able to sprint off at a speed which should easily beat any electric one I've had n the past. (all below the £150 mark) The Revo would cost me about £20 more then the Savage...
But the extra money does'nt bother me if its worth it...

P.S Is the Savage alot bigger then the Revo?
Also...what kind of fuel do you lot recommend.

Ok...so which one..

Savage or Revo?
Old 11-29-2004, 11:23 AM
ThermalRD

Default RE: Which is the better truck for me?

No, the savage is not much bigger than the revo. Yes, with the stock savage tires it has that appearance. Here is a pic for comparison.

Both trucks are really good. The Revo has been trouble free for me, and i feel its overall quality is higher than the savage. The savage is great, and HPI is an awesome company. They now sell the diff upgrade, which is relatively cheap. Thats really a win-win situation. You just cant lose. Both companies are among the best in the biz, and are currently selling the best trucks. Flip a coin. I prefer the Revo though. As for the fuel, buy whats available to you. Or give us a list of whats available, and we can tell you what we think is the better option.
Old 11-29-2004, 11:31 AM
Naim.F.C

Oh, you see I had NO idea the trucks were of similar size...
I assumed the Savage was a 1/8 scale and the Revo was a 1/10...
This changes alot for me...

In terms of curb busting and torque...
which would perform better?
And how much faster is the Revo compared to the Savage...
the main thing though...is how well they both run totally stock...

EDIT: I have to say....as a newbie...judging by the pix...it looks as if the Savage is a better build quality...what with that sexy looking chassis and metal holder...
The Revo looks alot more plastic....but I guess the aesthetical look might not translate in to real world durabilty and quality.
Old 11-29-2004, 11:41 AM
ThermalRD

I'll be honest with ya, the Revo has been flawless with me. Not just mine, everyones i race with. The number of Revos at my local track is overwhelming. I was not real impressed with the power of the stock savage engine. I replaced it with the XTM pro, and start breaking alot of drive train parts. But its really fast now! As far as build quality, the Revo has it, and you can feel the difference. The brakes have semi metallic pads, and so does the slipper. You will not find a smoother brake setup. Overall durability is very close between the two. They are easily the two toughest trucks i've ever owned. Now its time for more pics.

Old 11-29-2004, 11:43 AM
AJ DRAGON

First off its not the Savage 2.5, its a Savage .25. The motor in the Revo is a .15cc engine, and the motor the Savage is a .25cc engine. From what I have seen the Revo is a race truck, and the Savage is a great basher. For what you are wanting to do the Savage would be best for you. There is another option if you are willing to wait a couple of months, and that wound be the Duratrax Warhead. Both the Savage RTR, and the Revo RTR will need stronger steering servos. Do some series research in to these trucks. I have to ask you a very important question "How much do you want to spend!" The Duratrax Warhead RTR will only be $400.00.
Old 11-29-2004, 11:44 AM
ThermalRD

But i love the savage too!

Old 11-29-2004, 11:47 AM
Naim.F.C

Ok Ok....But I swear....the Revo looks bigger then the Savage! [&:]
Also...which has higher ground clearance?

The Revo actually looks....more compact and functional...
the only 2 things that dont look as well made are...
the suspension arms look a little weak...and the chassis doesnt look as strong as the Savages metal frame.

But I have to say....im leaning towards the Revo now...
Before I assumed it was a case of

Slower, more durable and much bigger Savage vs Faster, Smaller and more nippy Revo

But I guess its not totally the case.
Is the Revo so fast that I might run the risk of breaking it?
Bearing in mind am a newbie...
And do they both run great just stock?
Old 11-29-2004, 11:50 AM
Naim.F.C

Also in terms of speed...
whats the top speed on both?
And acceleration wise....how much faster is the Revo?
Old 11-29-2004, 11:53 AM
Naim.F.C

ORIGINAL: AJ DRAGON

First off its not the Savage 2.5, its a Savage .25. The motor in the Revo is a .15cc engine, and the motor the Savage is a .25cc engine. From what I have seen the Revo is a race truck, and the Savage is a great basher. For what you are wanting to do the Savage would be best for you. There is another option if you are willing to wait a couple of months, and that wound be the Duratrax Warhead. Both the Savage RTR, and the Revo RTR will need stronger steering servos. Do some series research in to these trucks. I have to ask you a very important question "How much do you want to spend!" The Duratrax Warhead RTR will only be $400.00.
What do you mean by stronger steering servos?
And about the Warhead...I kind of wanted one straight away...
So when is this Duratrax warhead coming out? and is it going to be better then the Revo or Savage?

At the moment I can get the Savage for £340 and the Revo for £360

Btw guys im realllly grateful for all the help...and apologise for all these questions!
Old 11-29-2004, 11:58 AM
jefx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you plan on straight out bashing out in the woods and stuff, then the Savage is probably a better choice for you. It's pretty much the undisputed king of durability. The Revo is more of a race truck, and although it my be holding up nicely for some, it was engineered for the track first and the backyard second. Plus the Revo's engine (TRX 2.5) is not a good engine for a newb. It's a finicky engine that may drive you nuts if you don't have any engine tuning experience.
Old 11-29-2004, 12:00 PM
Naim.F.C

Ok....so now im leaning towards the Savage again...lol! [&:]
Old 11-29-2004, 12:26 PM
AJ DRAGON

When I say stronger steering servos I mean a servo with very high torque. You want some thing with at least a 100 in. pounds of torque. Most RTR's come with a servo that has around 50 to 75 in. pounds of torque. Which is not really enough to properly turn the wheels. The Warhead is expected to hit markets late January. Here is a link to the Duratrax Warhead.

[link=http://www.warheadmt.com/]Warhead[/link]
Old 11-29-2004, 03:49 PM
Naim.F.C

I checked out the Warhead...I just dont think the company nor the product is as good quality...or as reputable as the Savage or the Revo...I think I'll stick to one of them.
But...anyway...

Just a few questions that I have already asked...

1. How much quicker is the Revo to the Savage in terms of acceleration and top speed...?
2. Which runs better straight out of the box...with no extras/hop ups?
3. Which has higher ground clearance?
Old 11-29-2004, 04:00 PM
tamiya08
My Feedback: (10)

ORIGINAL: Naim.F.C

I checked out the Warhead...I just dont think the company nor the product is as good quality...or as reputable as the Savage or the Revo...I think I'll stick to one of them.
But...anyway...

Just a few questions that I have already asked...

1. How much quicker is the Revo to the Savage in terms of acceleration and top speed...?
2. Which runs better straight out of the box...with no extras/hop ups?
3. Which has higher ground clearance?

1. ok the revo is a light vechile, so being light it accels better, and gets a good top speed of around 40. the savage weighs about 12 pounds? has a horrible cg, i dunno about how the accel is but from what i have seen its pretty good. and with its torque itll pop wheelies all day. but this can all change due to how you tune your truck.

2. revo, it has alot of parts that dont need replacing

i dunno 3

thermal, your trucks are spotless, looks like you take care of them tho. are the 2 savages yours?

chris
Old 11-29-2004, 07:36 PM
fastcrash

ORIGINAL: AJ DRAGON

When I say stronger steering servos I mean a servo with very high torque. You want some thing with at least a 100 in. pounds of torque. Most RTR's come with a servo that has around 50 to 75 in. pounds of torque. Which is not really enough to properly turn the wheels. The Warhead is expected to hit markets late January. Here is a link to the Duratrax Warhead.

[link=http://www.warheadmt.com/]Warhead[/link]

dude, have you even seen a revo? or just in a magazine? it comes with two steering servos and a huge servo saver, it has by far the most responsive steering of any truck ive ever owned. it has enough tourque to turn the wheels at a standstill on any surface,and with no hesitation. and the savage needs more than a 100$ steering servo to do that, you have to mod the truck with an ofna buggy style servo saver. im not trying to dis the savage, i love mine, but this guy is trying to make an informed decicion, with our help. so lets make sure we give him the info he needs to do that, and not just try to sway him to the truck we like best.
Old 11-29-2004, 07:38 PM
fastcrash

yeah chris, matts trucks are spotless, i think i need to send my revo out to him for a spit-shine.
Old 11-29-2004, 07:50 PM
ThermalRD

Those are old pics. However, i have been called a maintenance freak by some. lol. I'll admit, i go to great lengths with my collection. The revo still gets my vote. Out of the box, its just plain better. Dont forget the revo comes with LONG TRAVEL suspension in the box. If you are climbing anything, that will be spider like, and fun! Both are awesome, but Revo still gets my vote here. And yes, those are all my trucks. Well i sold the one savage you see, that has the HCR parts on it.
Old 11-29-2004, 07:53 PM
capone12
My Feedback: (1)

Ok even though I have neither truck here's what I've been told most often on these forums:
If you might go to a track then go with the revo. Ive also been told that the savage is just crazy on the durability (sp). Also you have to look at the fact that there are so many hop-ups for the savage that it'll make your head spin. The revo is also newer if that means anything. It's also nice to know that traxxas is known for its really good customer support. Both of these trucks are VERY popular. It mostly depends on the driver. If you know that you are going to just drive around in the woods etc then go with the savage. If you know that you might race then go with the revo. Just like the other people said you really cant go wrong with either choice.
Old 11-29-2004, 08:43 PM
cardriverx

Ok even though I have neither truck here's what I've been told most often on these forums:
If you might go to a track then go with the revo. Ive also been told that the savage is just crazy on the durability (sp). Also you have to look at the fact that there are so many hop-ups for the savage that it'll make your head spin. The revo is also newer if that means anything. It's also nice to know that traxxas is known for its really good customer support. Both of these trucks are VERY popular. It mostly depends on the driver. If you know that you are going to just drive around in the woods etc then go with the savage. If you know that you might race then go with the revo. Just like the other people said you really cant go wrong with either choice.
exactily. if u want to bash the hell out of the truck u get, get the savage. if u want to race, and have a little fun on the side, then get the revo. thats the reason im getting the savage, im not gonna race, i just want a go anyware do anything truck. from what ive herd everywhere, the savage is better for me due to the fact that many ppl have said it is one of the most durable trucks.
Old 11-30-2004, 11:39 AM
Tnx_4_life

well, if ur new to nitro engines, id go with the most reliable engine...i was happy i took a TNX, the engine is a partly OS built engine, and being OS means..underated power and reliability. Im not saying u shouldnt get the revo, but i think if its your first that a reliable engine is an important part. Id like to have a revo aswell, just like the steup too bad my LHS doesnt support traxxas [>:]ill have to order everything from another shop in holland [:'(]