Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

TNX vs LOSI LST

Old 12-07-2004, 05:07 PM
Ramirez24

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TNX vs LOSI LST

I have narrowed my next truck down to these two ? Any feedback on either one would be appreciated. Have concerns on LST because of back orders on parts if needed and bugs still being worked out on this NEW Truck. As far as TNX, I have not seen too much negative feedback, so I am leaning toward the TNX. Other than the shocks on the TNX, is there any other weak points about this truck. How is the radio that comes with the TNX, would I need to upgrade ?
Old 12-07-2004, 05:25 PM
ThermalRD

Default RE: TNX vs LOSI LST

There are two concerns i have with a TNX. Lack of support, and stock shocks. Stock shocks are an easy fix. Lack of support is not an easy fix. TNX owners have been begging Tamiya to do something, with no luck. I've had my share of problems with the LST, and overcome most of them. There is HUGE support for Losi, by Losi, and just about everybody else out there. If i were choosing between the two, i'd still take my LST.
Old 12-07-2004, 05:36 PM
Pinolelst

Aren't they also pretty different ?? I mean the tnx is a truggy and the LST is a MT .

I mean to ask which is the best is like comparing a Jeep Rubicon vs a Porsche Cayenne .Similar in classifications but that's about it .

TNX much smaller than an LST and would have some advantages in certain applications and the LST would be better in others.I'm always a little confused by these "vs" posts when the vehicles are so disparate.
Old 12-07-2004, 05:44 PM
tamiya08
My Feedback: (10)

ORIGINAL: Pinolelst

Aren't they also pretty different ?? I mean the tnx is a truggy and the LST is a MT .

I mean to ask which is the best is like comparing a Jeep Rubicon vs a Porsche Cayenne .Similar in classifications but that's about it .

TNX much smaller than an LST and would have some advantages in certain applications and the LST would be better in others.I'm always a little confused by these "vs" posts when the vehicles are so disparate.

nope the TNX is a MT, tamiya has no buggys on the market right now (i dunno if its been realeased). TNX anit that mich smaller than an LST.
Old 12-07-2004, 06:21 PM
mr-rccrazy

ORIGINAL: Pinolelst

Huh? The TNX is a monster truck, not a truggy. It is the chassis design with the diffs mounted below the main chassis plate, similar to the t-maxx and mgt. Personally, I do not have much experience with either, but I would expect the tnx to have quicker turning and it would be more agile, due to it being smaller, but the lst might have better acceleration. It would be hard to see, but if you want lots of aftermarket parts the lst has a lot more than the tnx.
Old 12-07-2004, 06:30 PM
lstmanuk

tamiyakid....tamiya do have a buggy its called the nitro thunder...and its out now!
Old 12-07-2004, 06:34 PM
Ramirez24

I thought I was comparing two Monster Nitro Trucks, both are 22" in length, both over 16" in width. Both have top speeds a little over 40mph. The TNX being about 3-4 lbs lighter can keep up with the LST.
Old 12-07-2004, 06:39 PM
ICrashThings

my MGT is like .5inch longer. [&:]
Old 12-07-2004, 08:10 PM
Pinolelst

ORIGINAL: Ramirez24

I thought I was comparing two Monster Nitro Trucks, both are 22" in length, both over 16" in width. Both have top speeds a little over 40mph. The TNX being about 3-4 lbs lighter can keep up with the LST.

My apologies.I was thinking of an entirely different truck than the tnx for some reason.

Bows out and goes to the corner with a dunce cap in hand []

Peace
Old 12-07-2004, 08:14 PM
tamiya08

ORIGINAL: lstmanuk

tamiyakid....tamiya do have a buggy its called the nitro thunder...and its out now!
you tring to start a flamewar?!?!?!?!. i said they had no buggy on the market RIGHT NOT, (I DUNNO) I DIDNT SAY THEY DIDNT HAVE A BUGGY I SAID NO BUGGY ON THE MARKET. meany right now, and i know its out know after some searching
Old 12-07-2004, 08:58 PM
ScMc

Get a TNX man for SURE!!! The tnx needs shocks and possibly new radio gear (Stock radio gear is equivalent to the Revo's, crappy radio, surprisingly nice steering servo) But have you seen any LSTs on the winners platform??? Nope. But I recently saw two TNXs in 1st and 2nd place IN FRONT OF a Revo. And think, Slayden's Revo is highly modified, highly tuned, and these TNXs were very close to stock besides shocks and radio gear and arent tuned nearly as much. These trucks are about as durable as a Savage for bashing and as good, if not better than a Revo on a track, It is truly the best of both worlds and I can honestly say that you wont be dissapointed. Also, you cant forget the price tags, You can spend 40% more(I'm not exagerating, It's actually around 42% more) and buy the LST, or you can spend 40% less and Buy the TNX for around 350. I could go on and on about the TNX, it has a POWERFUL, reliable OS engine, huge air filter, roll bar, unbreakable two speed tranny with FO, Simple chassis layout (The Revo's chassis layout is more cluttered than a 400 lb woman's arteries) Durable parts, great overall interlocking parts design... Tamiya really hit the mark with this truck! True, parts arent as readily available for the Tamiya TNX, mostly because you wont need them, The truck is practically unbreakable. AND TowerHObbies has all the parts you could ever need for this thing and they're all on Parts Express shipping so Don't worry about not being able to run if you break down. Hope this helped man and if you have any more questions just ask. Thanks.
Old 12-07-2004, 10:21 PM
Pinolelst

well you can find LST's for just over $500 if you do a little looking and calling.I paid $505 plus tax for my second LST as an example .That's about $125 more than the tnx.For that extra $125 you get a far better radio.Customer support that's unmatched in the industry,a .26 engine instead of the tnx's .18 ,monster sized aluminum shocks and ready parts availability. Change all 8 shocks on the TNX to something suitable and upgrade to a comparable radio and you're no doubt near or over the LST's base price.
Plus by the looks of the suspension arms and how short they are I doubt seriously it'd be able to handle the rough as well as the LST.All my opinion.

As far as your no winners circle comment.Didn't the LST win some sort of gas truck nationals this last year...run stock with no mods and still won after losing the exhaust pipe 3/4 of the way through the race
Old 12-07-2004, 10:38 PM
ScMc

Looking and calling? Well maybe I can find a TNX for 300 if i do a little "looking and calling" I agree with the better radio comment. Sorry but the Traxxas Customer support is a lot better than Team Losi's, And I've never heard anything wrong with Tamiya's. THe TNX does not need a .26 engine, If it had the .26, it would be overpowered. The OS .18 is a VERY nice engine. These trucks run side by side at top end. The Aluminum shocks are nice, I agree. The main difference between these two trucks is the DURABILITY. Forgot to mention the metal shavings in the .26 engines from the factory Pinolelst? Or maybe all the weak other parts that I've heard this truck wastes... If you wanted to get the LST up to the durability level of a TNX, then you would have to spend at least 100$ on parts (confirmed by a happy Losi LST owner on another forum)

I honestly didn't know the LST won any races, The two races that I have heard the most about lately were the Slayden/Jun races. Sorry.

Plus by the looks of the suspension arms and how short they are I doubt seriously it'd be able to handle the rough as well as the LST.
Don't tell me my truck wouldn't be able to handle the rough as good as an LST...

Old 12-07-2004, 11:02 PM
tamiya08

ORIGINAL: ScMc

Looking and calling? Well maybe I can find a TNX for 300 if i do a little "looking and calling" I agree with the better radio comment. Sorry but the Traxxas Customer support is a lot better than Team Losi's, And I've never heard anything wrong with Tamiya's. THe TNX does not need a .26 engine, If it had the .26, it would be overpowered. The OS .18 is a VERY nice engine. These trucks run side by side at top end. The Aluminum shocks are nice, I agree. The main difference between these two trucks is the DURABILITY. Forgot to mention the metal shavings in the .26 engines from the factory Pinolelst? Or maybe all the weak other parts that I've heard this truck wastes... If you wanted to get the LST up to the durability level of a TNX, then you would have to spend at least 100$ on parts (confirmed by a happy Losi LST owner on another forum)

I honestly didn't know the LST won any races, The two races that I have heard the most about lately were the Slayden/Jun races. Sorry.

Plus by the looks of the suspension arms and how short they are I doubt seriously it'd be able to handle the rough as well as the LST.
Don't tell me my truck wouldn't be able to handle the rough as good as an LST...

a nice radio would be nice, but i guess thats what an rtr radio is these days. the OS.18 it comes with is very nice, but it needs some new parts made from different matterials, such as a nice aluminum head, composite carb, and a O-RING IN THE carb inlet, i already had to rebuild the motor becuz there was dirt in it from the carb, it was not turning over smoothly, now it does after the rebuild, and i was smart and added an o-ring. the shocks, couldnt agree more, it needs new ones, once agian its an rtr truck thats what you get for that price. i have not heard of an LST winning a race yet, i kno it has done well in qualifing

chris
Old 12-07-2004, 11:13 PM
ScMc

Two sexy lookin' trucks right there if you ask meNice truck TamiyaKid
Old 12-08-2004, 01:42 AM
LSTGUY

I think it depends what you want to spend and what kind of beast your looking to get. Does the TNX have duel steering servos? Aluminum shocks? Hi/lo tranny? What about Reverse? Dual steel disc brakes?...... basically if money isnt an issue, get the LST. It will cost you more but you get more truck IMO. Hope this helps.
Old 12-08-2004, 02:40 AM
ScMc

Tnx does not need two steering servos, waste of batteries if you ask me. The stock servo has 90 oz at 4.8 and probably 110-120 at 6v which will do just fine! The shocks need to be replaced but you can just get 50$ associatd shocks and be done with it, Doesnt need hi/lo, this is what a two-speed tranny is for. The Tnx doesnt need two disc brakes since one stops it fine. IMO, NO truck needs reverse, its a waste of power and space on the chassis. You definately get more truck if u get an LST, but in my opinion, u get a lot more than u need. The TNX keeps it simple and does it's job like it's supposed to. It has proven that it doesnt need dual steering servos or an Optidrive or Hi/lo shifter or an on-board laptop to compete with todays monsters. Just a straight forward design that works very well. You LST and Revo guys make everything more complicated than it needs to be in my opinion
Old 12-08-2004, 12:20 PM
rscharp

what a sexy truck. do yourself a favor and get one. you will not regret it.
Old 12-08-2004, 12:46 PM
ScMc

Nex2stupid: What do u think of your TNX compared to your Savage and SportMaxx? (It's not like I dont already know the answer)
Old 12-08-2004, 01:29 PM
jefx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: ScMc

Sorry but the Traxxas Customer support is a lot better than Team Losi's Forgot to mention the metal shavings in the .26 engines from the factory Pinolelst? Or maybe all the weak other parts that I've heard this truck wastes... If you wanted to get the LST up to the durability level of a TNX, then you would have to spend at least 100$ on parts (confirmed by a happy Losi LST owner on another forum)

I don't know about you, but my experiences with Traxxas' customer service sucked! They were useless at best.

The metal shavings only occur if the "washer" shreds. It's an easy and free mod to remove it, and Losi is no longer putting that washer in their engines.

I don't know who you are refering to about needing to spend $100 to make the LST durable, but I can give you a run-down of what it needs:
Aluminum diff cases ($10 a set)
New clutch shoes/springs ($10 for Savage shoes/springs)
Secondary gear cover ($5 from Losi or $15 on thEbay)

There you go, a minimum of $35 can make the LST as reliable as anything else.

The LST won the "U.S. Gas Nationals" it's first time out with Adam Drake at the wheel, after the exhaust pipe fell off halfway through the race. I've got the vid on my computer, and it has been posted in the LST forum.
Old 12-08-2004, 02:46 PM
LSTGUY

I watched that vid too.... that guy drives well. Won quite easily if I remember correct
Old 12-08-2004, 02:53 PM
creyc

You definately get more truck if u get an LST, but in my opinion, u get a lot more than u need.
"It's not more than you need, just more than you're used to."
-GMC commercials
Old 12-08-2004, 03:13 PM
captanabolic

I love the my truck is better than your truck talk!!!! LST!! LST!!! LST!!!! LST!!!!! LST!!!!!! LOL AS this is my only MT!!!
Old 12-08-2004, 05:43 PM
Ramirez24

Thanks for all the input everybody, I have chosen the TNX.
Old 12-08-2004, 06:00 PM
Pinolelst

ORIGINAL: Ramirez24

Thanks for all the input everybody, I have chosen the TNX.

I'm sure you'll have a great time with it

Peace [8D]

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.