DarkSavageX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default savage hopups

i just got a savage and what hop ups should i get first? thanks for help
Old 12-14-2004, 04:34 PM
Tyler24

Default RE: savage hopups

I just got a savage also and i've been told to upgrade the differentials and the brakes...

HPI 4 Bevel Gear Diff Conversion Set Savage

HPI Dual Disk Brake Set Stainless Steel

and high torque servo for steering
Old 12-14-2004, 06:24 PM
DarkSavageX

what are some good shocks for the savage
Old 12-14-2004, 06:27 PM
tamiya08
My Feedback: (10)

here the shocks:
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXDVL1&P=ML
Old 12-14-2004, 06:32 PM
fastcrash

those are very good shocks for a savage, but i would NOT recomend the dual disc brake conversion, it is terrible. it just locks up the brakes, you are not able to tune them down very well either. they are the first hpi part i am truly disapointed with.
Old 12-14-2004, 06:36 PM
Tyler24

well thanks for that fastcrash.. i guess i won't get the brake upgrade now.. svaed some money
Old 12-14-2004, 06:51 PM
tamiya08
My Feedback: (10)

ORIGINAL: fastcrash

those are very good shocks for a savage, but i would NOT recomend the dual disc brake conversion, it is terrible. it just locks up the brakes, you are not able to tune them down very well either. they are the first hpi part i am truly disapointed with.

what do you mean by "locks up the brakes" and "tune them down very well" ??
Old 12-14-2004, 07:11 PM
DarkSavageX

what usly breaks on the savage the most? and do the stock arms break very easly? im not really doing any bashing eaither. just dirt driving
Old 12-14-2004, 07:20 PM
Eracer76

You guys should really check out http://www.savage-central.com/gate.html?name=Forums
There are sooooo many tips and tricks on that site for the savage.

Diffs.....
You should do the 4 bevel gear mod for sure. You can buy HPI kits for this now, or use OFNA cross pins with HPI gears.
Then put in some diff oil, the thicker the more it will act like a posi. I use 50k wt front and back. Some people go as high as 100k

Steering.....
To get the truck to turn on a dime, get.....a 6 volt hump pack, high torque servo (I use the Hi-Tec 645MG) and then do a servo saver mod, I did the MP saver. I think HPI has one coming out now too. You can do a search for servo saver mod and you'll get tons of info on Savage Central.

Throttle/brake linkage mod.....
Do a search for this one too, its very simple and cheap to do. It will give you better throttle and brake control. Most stock trucks dont even get full throttle out of the box!

Brakes....
The stock brakes will work for a little while, but mine went fast. I got the HPI duel disc brakes and they work just fine for me. You just have to adjust them right. Then you just change pads instead of disc's. Ive gone through 2 sets of pads in 2 gallons, their only $2 or so for pads.

Shocks......
If you ask around Savage Central, you'll find that anything but the stock shocks are junk! Everything else will just bend the shafts if you bash hard! Ive seen many many pics of bent after market shock shafts. The stock shocks are very good, just change the oil and springs to your liking.

Trans......
One other thing you might want to do, especially if you upgrade your engine, is to do the 2nd gear mod in the trans. The stock two speed uses a pin to engage the 2nd gear, well this one pin takes a beating everytime it hits 2nd gear. The mod is to add one more pin to the 2nd gear so it splits the duty of the pin by 50% and it will hit it sooner. This will really prolong the life of your trans's shifting. Otherwise I have had no problems at all with the trans. It holds up great to my Picco P3 .26
If you do a search on Savage Central again, you'll find lots of info and right-ups on it!
There is right ups/ how-to's for every thing on that site!

The cool thing is, all these mods are not much money. You could probably do it all for less then $100 and have a bullet proof truck!

Have fun guys!
Old 12-14-2004, 07:35 PM
Eracer76

ORIGINAL: DarkSavageX

what usly breaks on the savage the most? and do the stock arms break very easly? im not really doing any bashing eaither. just dirt driving
Id have to say the first thing I broke were my diffs, ever since the 4 gear mod, they have been fine.

As for the arms and plastic parts.....
Ive gone through 3 gallons on my Werks Racing Picco P3 .26 engine and still have the STOCK arms on it!
Ive done many many 20ft long or more jumps getting 10ft of air with this truck and have never broken any plastic parts!
Some times Ive landed bad doing that and the truck would cartwheel another 30ft too, still nothing broke!

Just make sure you do the mods I listed above you'll have a bullet proof truck!
Old 12-14-2004, 07:41 PM
DarkSavageX

thanks ram. just one more question. what excatly is the 4 gear thing do? and is it on towerhobbies? wait thats 2 questions. ok so i ahve more than 1.