Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Who's really bigger?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2005, 11:58 AM
speedyz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who's really bigger?

The Monster Spyder is classified as a 1/7 scale. At least that is what Trinity Says. I have all the popular Mt's. I took some pics of my Three larger size MT's, The yellow truck is the Losi LST, the Blue truck is the AE MGT, the blue with white is the Trinity Spyder. Who do you think is bigger? To make it fair I changed all the tires and wheels on all three of these MT's The biggest truck appears to be the AE MGT and not the so called "1/7" scale Monster Spyder. Although, I do remember reading that AE and Losi did claim that there Monster Trucks were not 1/8 scale but super scale, what ever that means. I think all three of the "Super Size", or 1/7 trucks what ever you want to call them are excellent. As far as size, you all can decide from these pics who is really bigger.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo38967.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	212694   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj27926.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	109.3 KB
ID:	212695   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc80110.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	212696   Click image for larger version

Name:	Au57173.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	113.2 KB
ID:	212697  
Old 01-09-2005, 12:20 PM
EMaxxer05

Default RE: Who's really bigger?

The flamboyant yellow body on your LST makes it seem bigger to me. Take pictures somewhere a bit lighter so we can "shine some light" on the situation.
Old 01-09-2005, 01:00 PM
Crazy_Coconuts

yeah... here's what i think: the mgt might seem bigger, but i think those scales represent how big they would be compared to a 1:1 version of that truck. The MGT is 1/8th the size of a "real" MGT... so a 1/8th car could be smaller than a 1/12th, it just means that to find the real dimmensions, you have to mulitply the 8th scale measurements by 8 instead of 12...
Old 01-09-2005, 01:14 PM
ICrashThings

I know the MGT is the fatter one of the 3...[sm=surprised.gif]
Old 01-09-2005, 01:18 PM
Muswagon

The Spyder is just a regular size truck, which they bolted on Dirt Demon rims and tires because they probably had a huge amount left given the success of that truck. The rims and tires are the only thing that are 1/7.
Old 01-09-2005, 03:33 PM
supernova803

The lst not really that big. Only the tires and shocks make it look huge.
Old 01-09-2005, 10:39 PM
Savage_Dias

I thought the LST would be huge until I saw one in person. I wasn't impressed. I was also disheartened by the fact that Losi straps a hunk of plastic to the bottom of it to keep tension off the shocks & tires. I know it's actually helpful for long term storage but it keeps the buyer from playing with the suspension in the hobby shop. It also makes me wonder what kind of long term durability the springs have & how well the tires will hold their shape.

I would say the MGT has a slight length advantage while the LST has a slightly wider stance. The Spyder looks like it's smaller in every dimension. Maybe they just didn't want to go with the Super Scale badge.

I'd love to see a Spyder bash. The one I saw at my LHS scared me. It crunched when we rolled it. The shocks were extremely tight with little articulation. The shafts going from the tranny to the gearboxes were at a steep angle. The chassis made me wonder if they included a pair of tweezers for getting in between the TVPs. the tires looked like they came from at least two different batches of rubber. They were inconsistant when we squeezed them & they varied in appearance from dark grey to shiny black. It looked like it could take a lot of abuse as long as it doesn't tear itself apart in the process. Get us some video if you can!!!
Old 01-10-2005, 01:34 PM
fhm101

When it comes to MT's, scale really nothing more than what the manufacturer wants to call it. It has nothing to do with a comparison to a 1:1 truck or even to other MT's for that matter. Kind of like published HP ratings for our toy car engines, just numbers to argue over that have nothing to do with actual size or performance.

As they have the most aggressive marketing program in RC, I have no doubt that Trinity called their truck a 1/7th scale to grab that portion of the market that must have the largest ***** extension in their local crowd.
Old 01-10-2005, 03:07 PM
Pinolelst

Only to find out that yet again..... they're caught short