Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Genesis wheel/wheel hub Q's.

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2005, 07:32 PM
ThermalRD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Genesis wheel/wheel hub Q's.

Ok Genesis owners, i've got some Q's i need help with. First off, the wheel hub hub size? I believe i was told once it was somewhere between 17 and 19 mm. Looking for a definite answer there. On that same note, is there a conversion that allows any other wheels to be used? Next is the wheel itself. Can anyone tell me the size of the wheel? Im wondering if i can stretch an XTM BRT1 tire over the stock Genesis wheel.

Thanks!
Old 02-16-2005, 07:52 PM
supernova803

Default RE: Genesis wheel/wheel hub Q's.

The genesis's hex size is 19 mm and your only choice is to get an ofna wheel, but I not sure how competitive the ofna tires are[:'(]. Hope that helps.
Old 02-16-2005, 08:28 PM
Orlando69

Hello there ThermalRD,, I would NOT forget that face anyday/everyday. How have ya been??>>and long time no chat from a fellow RC hobbist. When I say "hobbist" I mean a person who involves themselves in a hobby.

Genesis is 19mm drive wheel hub. This is the six sided drive adapter which is being drivin' from each of your drive axles through your hub by way of the hub's bearings. Connection of this wheel hub is made VIA a 3mm by 19mm pin which is drawn through the holes in both the wheel hub and the drive shaft which passes through your hub.

The key thing to know is what wheel your going to mount on your vehicle AND the stock vehicles wheel offset as compared to the stock wheel. As said above,, OFNA monster truck wheels are a good item to start looking at because they are close to what you may seek to fit on Genesis. Look into OFNA Titan or Twin Titan or even Dominator to see if it will fit the Genesis. I have not fitted all of them but I know that the OFNA product will give you very close to adequate fitment on a Genesis.

May I ask you a question??? What are you seeking on the Genesis and what wheel/tire size are you looking to adapt?

Let me know if you have questions as I will help if I know how. Peace to you ThermalRD "O"
Old 02-16-2005, 08:36 PM
ThermalRD

Thanks for replying Orlando. I appreciate the detailed info. My friend from the forum Wizen had mentioned that i should put my XTM racing tires on the Gen when i get it. Sounds like an awesome idea. It'll be great on the track. I think the stock tread would do fine, but these wheels and tires not only look great, but the traction is great on the track. And they are HUGE, which would fit the Genesis quite nicely. In my search tonight i found that New Era makes a conversion to run 14mm hex style wheels on the Genesis. Orlando, do you think the Gen .46 will shread these 14mm wheels? When i get it i'll compare the stock wheel size to the XTM wheels i have herre. If they are close, i'll try to fit the XTM tire, over a stock Gen wheel. Thanks for the input.
Old 02-16-2005, 08:38 PM
ThermalRD

Oh, heres a pic of the wheels and tires. Could you get me a measurement of the stock Gen wheels. Not the tire, just the diameter of the wheel please.
Old 02-16-2005, 11:00 PM
bustergonad

Hey there Thermal!

As everybody has already said, the ofna 17mm hexes fit right onto the Gen axel stubs (gen = 19mm).
As far as shreadding tires, I wouldn't bee too concerned if you are on a dirt track. I run my gen just about all the time on dirt and there is no tire wear at all, I've had to re-glue them a few times but that's it. Now on blacktop that may be different especiall with the 14mm wheels. I would imagine the the acceleration with the smaller rims would be insane but top speed would be cut down.
BTW did you know that a guy in the UK apparently clocked his gen at over 54mph, there is a post about it over at cengenesis.com. I can't control mine at 35+ mph let alone at 50+ mph [X(]

Buster
Old 02-16-2005, 11:29 PM
ThermalRD

Thanks for the reply Buster. I see what you are saying about the axles now. 54mph??? God thats very fast. Im looking forward to getting my hands on this truck. Soo much to tinker with on it. The Gen has caught my attention every time i see it. Your video helped that too. I like the size, and features, and i just gotta have one.
Old 02-17-2005, 08:18 PM
Orlando69

Hello again thermal. I put my digi-calipers on my rims and measured the largest outside diameter of my genesis rims at 5.130". I unfortunately cannot give you the depth of the rim grooves which allow proper tire mounting or the groove width that the tire being mounted fits into because my only tires/rims are permanently glued right now to each other. These specs would be especially important when you try to mix and match different companies wheels/tires as I am sure you know.

What wheel size are those you have pictured from before I.E. (in other words) O.D. (outside diameter) of the wheel itself, rim groove width and depth?? In answer to your question previously, the 14mm wheel adapter is about the smallest I would try to adapt to Genesis. I say this because as you asked before, rims adapted to Genesis at 14mm MAY be prone to damage VIA stripping because of the torque of the Genesis. In my opinion I would not go smaller than a smallish 14mm for fear of wheel failure. I was worried about 17mm being not strong enough much less 14mm. Try the 14mm adapter out if you have them and post your results after you put your Genesis through a good testing/bashing. I want to say that when I say "bashing" I do NOT mean beat the piss out of it,, what I mean is drive your truck in a fashion which is realistic for a heavy realistic truck like the Genesis. At least when you test>JUMP a Genesis make sure it lands on the four wheels which it is meant to drive on[X(]. It takes practice and when you know the feel of a Genesis,, landing on all wheels is easy to induce.

Everyone>>Post your results if ya know ....,>>>>Peace "O"
Old 02-17-2005, 10:58 PM
ThermalRD

Orlando, thanks for measuring those wheels. When i get my Gen, i'll be sure to try these XTMs on it. Only after i break it in, and run it a bit. If the weight, torque, and general stress seems like too much to me, then i wont risk it. The stock tread looks good anyway. Im looking forward to bashing, and racing a Gen. I'll be sure to have Binary get some video of this truck on the track.
Old 02-18-2005, 08:48 PM
Orlando69

Thermal,,,when will you receive your Genesis?? The Genesis you will be receiving is as I would hope to be a 3rd generation right? Do you plan on running gears in the center diff or lock block? I guess I may assume that since you previously said "race" your Genesis will be equipt with the gears in the center diff,,,but that is my guess-ta-mitt (estimate). Hit me back with your results of your testing with the XTM product as I'd like to try another tire/wheel adventure which works well with my own Genesis.

Since you are getting a new Genesis and like to"tinker", I am sure your hands will be filled with preliminary "tinker" adjustments to get the Genesis turning correct and running nice when you first break it in. My Genesis has always ran great but I had to tinker with the steering alittle. 1-4 pulls should get your beast started from the first time you pull it from new till you put it away if you understand the sassy but quite compliant .46 engine of the Genesis. Peace "O"
Old 02-18-2005, 10:52 PM
ThermalRD

Orlando, the first things i'll be doing are diffs, and drive cups. I will be tuning the front, center, and rear diff for the best steering setups. I'll be checking all the loctite areas as well. I'll set my brake bias for the best steering as well. I'll also be running a very HIGH TORQUE servo in the Gen. Suspension will also be tuned the way i want it. I will be getting this as a birthday gift from my wife (April 3rd). I hope to get it a weeee bit early though. Im sure i can pursuade her! I looked over the Genesis today at the LHS. Trying to make sure its a 3rd Generation truck. They say it is, but i was told in an e-mail that the spur gears are supposed to be black. The worker at the LHS says its the clutch bell gears that are black, not the spurs. He claims his trucks are all updated. Either way, i'll make sure i get a 3rd Generation truck.

ORIGINAL: Orlando69

Thermal,,,when will you receive your Genesis?? The Genesis you will be receiving is as I would hope to be a 3rd generation right? Do you plan on running gears in the center diff or lock block? I guess I may assume that since you previously said "race" your Genesis will be equipt with the gears in the center diff,,,but that is my guess-ta-mitt (estimate). Hit me back with your results of your testing with the XTM product as I'd like to try another tire/wheel adventure which works well with my own Genesis.

Since you are getting a new Genesis and like to"tinker", I am sure your hands will be filled with preliminary "tinker" adjustments to get the Genesis turning correct and running nice when you first break it in. My Genesis has always ran great but I had to tinker with the steering alittle. 1-4 pulls should get your beast started from the first time you pull it from new till you put it away if you understand the sassy but quite compliant .46 engine of the Genesis. Peace "O"
Old 02-19-2005, 12:37 AM
USABaja5B

Can someone give me the Outer Diameter of the rim itself? Do the tires come glued to the rims?
Old 02-19-2005, 03:19 AM
eternaldragon

the rim is 5.2in (132.1mm) and the tires do come glued.
Old 02-19-2005, 09:49 AM
USABaja5B

OK, thats not what I wanted to hear, but thanks for the help.
Old 02-20-2005, 05:05 PM
wadesie93
My Feedback: (11)

Orlando, I have just got my genesis and ran it yesterday for the first time. Is there something in the owners manual about the center diff
Do you plan on running gears in the center diff or lock block?
I follow what you mean there.

Thermal, I made 17 mm adaptors for mine to fit Hot Bodies "choppers" and tires on there. Wasnt easy but I got it done by using the 17mm hexes that came with the wheels and tires.
Old 02-25-2005, 10:07 PM
Orlando69

(EDITED) >>>The center diff is a point of prefrence. If you run a center differential lock block you will have much more wear and even breakage on your drivetrain depending on how you drive your truck. If you use gears in your center differential you will not be able to do wheelies or drive like a true monster truck. It is a trade-off.... I drive and do not beat or race my truck and I like the lock block,, If you like to race or beat your truck you might like the gears in the center differential.

It is up to you and how you drive. "O"