Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

Major TNX start trouble. Please help..

Community
Search
Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Major TNX start trouble. Please help..

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2005, 03:53 PM
ray77

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Major TNX start trouble. Please help..

Hello! Just got my new TNX on Friday and I*m having some trouble.
When i push the start button on my electric starter, the electric starter won't run.
It makes i click sound and you can feel the engine make a jolt....
It seems that the starter won't rotate...
The battery is fully charged. I tried to start my TNX for the first time today.
It idled for 5 sec and died out. It did not seem to idle correctly..
But after some attempts to get it to run, the starter began to act up.
Now it doesn't run at all...
I'm a real neeeewbie and the shop is closed....
Hoping for help....
Please!

Ray
Norway- Europe
Old 02-26-2005, 04:58 PM
Groundforce-RCU
My Feedback: (20)

Default RE: Major TNX start trouble. Please help..

Check to make sure you can turn the flywheel by hand. if you cant its flooded, in which case, remove the glo-plug, turn the truck upside down, and pour out the fuel. Then return it to its wheels with the plug out, and spin it over a few times, hook the plug back up to the igniter (or wire, if its a wire, ground the plug to the side of the engine) and wait till it glows bright orange, re insert the glo-plug (be carefull not to loose the brass washer for the glo-plug)
If you can turn the flywheel over by hand, it would mean the starter motor has locked up for some reason, in which case, being new, id wait till the shop opens and have them look at it.
Old 02-26-2005, 06:55 PM
ray77

Hello and thank you for your reply!
If i rotate the brakedisc, the car wheels spin around and the pinion gear rotates.
The brake disc is the only accessible part which I can rotate, will this do as for the "flywheel" you mention?
The electric starter seems to be obstructed, as it now doesn't move at all.
After I first started the truck, I noticed fuel coming out of the engine and into the "draintube" leading into the exhaustpipe.

Ray
Norway
Old 02-26-2005, 07:11 PM
Tnx_4_life

u can turn the flywheel. and no the brake disc wont work as a flywheel. you really have to turn the flywheel.
Old 02-26-2005, 07:15 PM
Tnx_4_life

i dunno what it is lately...my pc keeps on duoble posting.

neways i just though of smthing else. do you hear the engine rotate at all when starting? otherwise if u dont see it u can always take the header off and look inside the engine to see if it rotates. NOTE: DO NOT prime fuel into the engine while doing so. just let the engine ROTATE. not start. if the engine just rotates try lossing the glowplug. or do what he said. u might have flooded it.
Old 02-26-2005, 07:45 PM
ray77

Hello again!
I'm a little closer to hope now!
My neigbours must be hating me. In Norway it's 01.38 at night now and I actually got the starter running so I actually started
my truck indoors og the kitchen floor...haha
But yet I'm far from all my questions beeing answered. I found the flywheel, even tough it's a bit clumsy to get to on the tnx.
It seemed that it gets a bit stuck when the piston reaches top position. When i loosened it with my thumb, the started ran fine again, but it seemes that if it stops with the piston up, it sticks there. The electric started does not have the force to pull it down again.
Should this be so hard? When i got the piston moving again, I got quite a lot of fuel out from the engine.
Is it normal that the flywheel I so hard to compress with the plug installed?
Ohh yes, I almost forgot...I sprayed my face with fuel too...
Neeeeewbie mistake, running the started without plug installed and then offcourse without covering the engine...
I'm so psyked now, can't wait until daylight.....

Apretiate any comments...and sorry for any wierd english...

Ray - Norway
Old 02-26-2005, 10:14 PM
Razoo
My Feedback: (2)

What your describing is normal. When breaking in my TNX I always rotated the piston to bottom dead center in between tanks. if you keep it at TDC when it cools down the piston could become stuck due to contraction. After its fully broken in it doesn't matter. Try and loosen up the plug about 1/2 turn, start it and then tighten it back up you should only need to do this for the break in period. READ THE OWNERS MANUAL, do as it says and you'll be fine. The TNX is a great truck provided you break it in according to the instructions. Your running it inside is plain crazy[X(]!! Maybe you should of got an electric.
Old 02-27-2005, 03:59 AM
skate4182

Iv'e had this problem lots, its normally due to too much compression in the engine, just take out the glowplug and give a quick turn over then it should start fine[8D]
Old 02-27-2005, 05:04 PM
ray77

Hello guys!
Thanks for all your response..
I have tried many of the things you suggest and I'm experiencing great progress
in breaking in my engine.
I have followed the breaking in instructions today and have sucessfullt idled half a tank and have run 1 tank in the afternoon.
The factory settings for the carb seems to be rich as hell, as the exhaustpipe spits out a lot of smoke and goo...(fuel/ oil/ waterlike substance)
Had my first "crash" too this day.. Wouldn't call it a crash but I sadly managed to squeeze my tnx under a railing by accident. This pulled of the plastic pipe and tore off some of the rubber which protects the antenna wire.
I wonder what this did, because suddenly my tnx took a drive of its own.
Thank god it was with low throttle.
Personally I believe that the part of the antenna that got its isolation torn off, came in contact with the aluminium chassis..
Would this make the servos go crazy?
Anyway I patched it up with electrical tape, reinserted the antenna holder and walked about 50 meters away to check the signal response...Seemed to be o.k..
Do you think it's safe to run? The antenna was not torn off, just lost some isolation!

Ray - Norway
Old 02-27-2005, 10:29 PM
Rush7
My Feedback: (74)

First off. The break in period of the TNX can be a big pain if you are not familiar with nitro engines. Sounds like you got that problem all worked out though. If your starter ever hangs like that again, just loosen your glow plug a little bit and try a re-start. .Once the engine is running just tighten the glow plug and away you go.

The problem with your antenna sounds to be solved by patching the torn section with tape. The tape should solve your problem as long as the wire inside the antenna was not damaged. I would highly recommend that you get a fail safe and install it in your TNX it will save your TNX from running away if you experience communication failure.