Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

how would you guys break in this motor????

Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

how would you guys break in this motor????

Old 02-28-2005, 09:26 AM
2strokefreak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how would you guys break in this motor????

how should i break in the motor of my new mgt .right now id like to try heat cycling but im not sure how to do it ?
so if any of you can help me id appreciate it thkzz!!!
Old 02-28-2005, 09:32 AM
binaryterror

Default RE: how would you guys break in this motor????

By the manual is always the best method.
Old 02-28-2005, 09:33 AM
2strokefreak

ive heard that heat cycling is supposed to increase life!

and if possible could yall answer today cause im getting it tomorow?
Old 02-28-2005, 12:05 PM
Pinolelst

[
Old 02-28-2005, 01:05 PM
2strokefreak

does the mgt come with breakin instructions,and if it does are they good to use?
and how long does it take?

im kinda scared to try these other heat cycling ways cause ive read so many different ways to do it.
thkzzz
Old 02-28-2005, 02:10 PM
crazychris7

The way ive always broken in my buggy motors is idling for 3 times to 200, letting them cool to ambient temp between and then running idle to 1/4 to 200 again 3 times, idle to 1/2 to 200 3 times, to 3/4 3 times and then tune. My motors usually last quite some time and when i race, I rarely see over 260... i could lean it more, but my b7 in my sportwerks and p5 in my mbx5 will clear the quads most have to double double, will go over the tabletop and land 50 ft farther down on the downslope of another tabletop... and this is 5 ft after a turn from a 80ish foot straight. ALWAYS roll the flywheel to bottom of the cylinder and get a god tune and never do any crazy adjustments, i rarely turn over a hour at a time, and 3 hrs max from set tune. But of course... thats me, and im crazy...

Chris
Old 02-28-2005, 02:20 PM
lloydy

Or you could not tune for temp!!!!!!!!, do things right, ive seen engines run at over 325 without damage. Start the first tank and run it so its moving but not vary fast, you will need to give it throttle sometimes to stop it clogging down (you should be running rich enough for it to stop after a while). Once the first tank is over leave it for 15 mins with the piston @ the bottom of the cylinder. 2nd tank bit more throttkle and you can start running it up and down the throttle ranges, up to bout 1/3- 1/2 throttle, cool again, then 3rd tank 2/3-3/4 throttle. cool again. 4th tank again 3/4 throttle. you shouldnt need to cool it now so put the 5th tank in and have some fun. Next tank you cna tuen it.

Run at full throttle, then lean off about 1/4 turn. Run again, lean, run again lean until you find where it appears to be running best. richen by 1/4 turn then run. Lean by 1/8 turn and you should have about the fastest point. Then richen by about 1/2 turn. This is the best method for performance while not wearing out the engine.

hope this helps
Old 02-28-2005, 03:42 PM
Pinolelst

o
Old 02-28-2005, 08:17 PM
bajan_dread

It does come with break in techniques out the box, but not all peeps do it the same way especially if your a seasoned nitro vet. What I did with my was run her very rich with 15/18% fuel for up too 4 tanks with the 15 minute cool down intervals and adjusting my settings slightly leaner as I added fuel and kept the running temperature a steady 220- 225 degrees. On the 4th tank I upgraded to the 20/16% and reset my needles accordingly for the power upgrade, and held my settings between 226-240 degrees finally taking her on a straight run to clean out all the excess oil.