Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Failsafe for monster trucks?

Old 03-05-2005, 08:48 AM
snowbl!nd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Failsafe for monster trucks?

Hi all,

Does anyone use a failsafe in their trucks?

I'm planning on buying a thunder tiger MT-A4 in the near future, and also a 5cell reciever pack.
I have a failsafe in my nitro touring car but do i need one for the monster truck?, i don't know anyone who has one in a truck but it would seem like a sensible idea. Is there any reason why you would'nt use one?

Thanks, Snowbl!nd.
Old 03-05-2005, 09:20 AM
paedbo
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Failsafe for monster trucks?

i use one, wouldnt want to go without it, i'm waiting for venom smart temp's to come out so i can upgrade to that.
Old 03-05-2005, 09:37 AM
Richie-EB4

IMHO.........these are an insurance policy against anything that might go wrong...........there is NO reason not to use one...........JMO

Good Luck with your new truck.
Old 03-05-2005, 09:46 AM
Groundforce-RCU
My Feedback: (20)

Yup..like they say, failsafes are a must, period. Also, a return spring on the carb helps if you should loose the battery connection, as a failsafe wont work without power.
Old 03-05-2005, 10:03 AM
snowbl!nd

Thanks guys!

What features should i look for in a failsafe? Do i need one which "triggers" when the batery pack falls below a certain voltage or will i notice beforehand - eg, slower servo travel on steering.
Old 03-05-2005, 10:06 AM
Richie-EB4

As far as i know they all do much the same thing...........I use the Ofna micro failsafe on both my truck and buggy.
Old 03-07-2005, 05:43 AM
mrfisse

You dont need a failsafe that cuts out when the voltage on the bat pack in the car runs low, when the acc is runing low you will notice that the car stuters when you trhottle when you drive the car some distance from you due to the low voltage reduces the receviers capability to "understand" the transmitters commands and thus activates the failsafe on and off. Then you know its time to change the batterys.
Old 03-07-2005, 07:50 AM
cfetter79

I use the Duratrax one, it's like 17 bux.. and works like a charm.
Old 03-07-2005, 12:36 PM
snowbl!nd

I can get a failsafe without low voltage cut-off for £10 ($20) at my LHS, instead of splashing out an extra £5 for a different failsafe with a function i will never need to use. I'm sure i can find another use for the money i safe...

Thanks for the info guys!
Old 03-07-2005, 02:26 PM
ray77

I just bought a failsafe from GWS. I believe it's called FS-1. It has both interference and low battery safety. This piece did not cost much, was easy to install and adjust and to me this seems like the smartest thing to spend money on.
During my absolute first break in run with my new TNX, the truck took a ride of its own because of interference. Never again! I hope. You may have bad luck, even with a failsafe, but it helps 90% towards a sure thing.
I was lucky because the throttle on my truck did not "self adjust" too much, so I was able to catch up with the truck and grab it.
This was the first time my truck was taken off the stand, after idling/ breaking in.
Get one now, that's my advice, but don't forget to set it right! It's possible to set it the wrong way, so that the truck gets full throttle instead of brake, if you loose the signal.
Old 03-07-2005, 04:17 PM
snowbl!nd

Ray77,

I have the GWS FS-2 in my thunder tiger ts-4 (nitro on-road) - it is the same as the FS-1 but does not have the low voltage cut off.

I will probably get another FS-2 for the mt, as i know how to set it and if it gets broken i can just use the one from my car (putting it back in the car when i want to drive it though!).

Thanks
Old 03-07-2005, 04:32 PM
metroman

Definately get one, spend about $20-30 bucks now and safe $_______ later. If you are into racing or just serious about this hobby and money isn't a issue I would suggest getting the Specktrum Radio system cause it has one built in to the receiver, plus all the dother benefits you get from the system. Good Luck getting one.
Old 03-07-2005, 04:58 PM
cenracer1

a failsafe is a must... It's too bad most manufacturers don't include it with the truck but thats to keep cost down.... I have a venom unit which sets the brakes when it senses signal problems.... I don't have any brand preference, but I have one on all my nitro trucks and I don't run any of them without them... Alot of tracks won't let you run without them either... Spend the 20-30 dollars once for piece of mind....
Old 03-07-2005, 07:58 PM
sonicman99

I've got a Venom Fail Safe myself (in my MGT)...works flawlessly.
Old 03-08-2005, 02:55 PM
rcblaze

It's a must. And get the one that has the battery warning. I'd much rather my truck stop before the batterys run out rather then have low power and still running. The fail safe should engage the brake and stop the truck once out of range or if you have a problem. Keep in mind low bats mean sluggish responce and we can't have that now can we.