Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

MT in Rain

Old 03-20-2005, 03:51 PM
dcfever

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MT in Rain

Is there any one here know which MT can play in the rain without any problem?? I am about to get a MT that I can play in the rain, since it rains a lot like crazy in my area. Thanks
Old 03-20-2005, 04:34 PM
thumpin15s

Default RE: MT in Rain

none. you have to water proof all of them.
Old 03-20-2005, 06:47 PM
Savage_Dias

Try to keep your electronics to a minimum. Revo has OptiDrive which would be something else to worry about. Anything with duel servos would be more work to keep up with. Stay away from reverse. Anything that has a strong radio box that incorporates all the electronics is a plus. The Savage's radio box is a pain to deal with but when it's closed everything is well protected but not water proof. Latex balloons & / or Plastidip are WONDERFUL. Plastidip is easily removed so invest in a can or two of it. You'd have to go through some serious planning to make any R/C water proof but as long as you're well protected & don't go for a swim you can still have fun around water. The tough one is keeping your radio dry. I've heard of people driving with them in plastic bags but I've never gone that far.
Old 03-20-2005, 07:04 PM
geofferama

You mentioned reverse. I'v checked and everytime I've run through a puddle or the occassional stream crossing, My steering and reverse servos are dry as can be. I did stick my reciever in a balloon, just haven't gotten around to doing the rest.

Any tips for waterproofing the connection btwn the servo-failsafe?
I was thinking a glob of shoe goo would do it.
Old 03-22-2005, 09:19 AM
cenracer1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Other than cleaning them off is a real pain all my mt's run in the rain and snow without a problem.... try to protect the receiver if possible with a balloon or bag and thats about it.... most newer mt's have a sealed radio box which helps... I even run my usa-1 nitro in the rain and the exposed radio and battery have no problems.... just keep it out of deep water......
Old 03-22-2005, 12:27 PM
dcfever

Thanks Cenracer1, this is exactly what I wanted to hear ^_^!
Old 03-22-2005, 01:40 PM
lloydy

mad force has no probs cos the radio box is water proof anyway. Teh servos are exposed but most manufactures make them with a degree of water proff anyway. Ive ran mine through puddles which are literall as deep as the air filter and it just runs out the other side
Old 03-22-2005, 02:19 PM
dcfever

so, what would happen if MT falls into deep water in the rain, what can possilbe break?
Old 03-22-2005, 03:04 PM
nitromacguyver

the engine could flood and the a prolonged soaking of the electronics with a charged battery could also result in some bad stuff.
Old 03-22-2005, 03:22 PM
brokenstuff

you mean the rain hurts these things??? my savage loves the rain its bath time to it
Old 03-23-2005, 07:30 PM
jon123456789
My Feedback: (-1)

Well another thing now one said is it Will GET RUSTY unless you clean and lube everything.
OR if you go throught a deep puddle there is a chance you could get water in the engine BAD.
OR the electronics just get soaked and there goes you nice new car into a tree.
WATER+RC=NO.
I do have one option a TAMIYA CLODBUSTER everything is mounted high except for the servo.
It has a msc and the reciver is located on the to. Another thing is they float and actually work well in the water i was driving mine in a creek about three ft deep. great mudding trucks if you lock the diffs. Just plug the vent holes and wrap the reciver and servo.
Old 03-23-2005, 11:35 PM
fastcrash

the way i look at it, loosing a servo (stock not a good digital one) is worth it if i'm having fun. the thing i hate most is getting water inside the tires, cause it throws the whole thing out of balance.
Old 03-25-2005, 10:31 AM
Savage_Dias

ORIGINAL: geofferama

Any tips for waterproofing the connection btwn the servo-failsafe?
I was thinking a glob of shoe goo would do it.
I'm sure Shoe Goo would work but I don't know how easy it would be to remove. I had to solder a connector onto one of my servos so I painted about 3/4" of the wire with Plastidip. It's sealed inside my receiver balloon which is inside my radio box so it should be OK. Doing that made me want to Plastidip my charge jack but I don't know how far it will wick into the connector. Hot glue works but it's a pain to pick off.

I recommended staying away from reverse because it's one more piece of electronics that can get messed up. I'm not guaranteeing that the servo would get ruined but the possibility is there. What kind of truck are you running geofferama?
Old 03-27-2005, 11:19 PM
cenracer1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

as i said before... the rain can be fun ...............
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca80381.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	250291   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql33315.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	250292