Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

Tamiya TNX vs LOSI LST vs Team Assoication Monster GT?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Tamiya TNX vs LOSI LST vs Team Assoication Monster GT?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2005, 10:37 AM
hdmax

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tamiya TNX vs LOSI LST vs Team Assoication Monster GT?

I put this in the general Monster truck section to get a more open minded opinion from everyone. The LOSI forum will give a LOSI opinion, and I am looking for the most unbias opinion possible.

I read great things about all three of these trucks. I am leaning toward the LST, but could be swayed becouse of price, and if the GT or TNX is as good or better. On the LST it has the biggest shocks ever put on an 8 scale monster truck, largest engine, (With its size and weight it may need it!) biggest fuel stank, tallest tires, two steering servos. Owners of all three say they are all durable.

Which is the most dependable under the same type of use? Which is quickest? and fastest?
I can get parts for the GT and LST at a LHS, but have yet to see the TNX. After seeing both the GT and LST at local hobby shops, I like what I see in the LST the most, however there is nearly $100 difference, and unlike some, money is a big deal.

Anyone here own the LST and one of the other two? I have read the thread comparing the GT with the TNX.

I have never owned a radio control vehicle other then cheap Radio Shack toys. So I need help before I put down $500 or more on a big boy`s toy. (The truck, fuel, batteries, after burn oil, and what nots, the price can really climb!)

Thanks!

Mike
Old 03-28-2005, 11:55 AM
ThermalRD

Default RE: Tamiya TNX vs LOSI LST vs Team Assoication Monster GT?

Tamiya parts are harder to get, but i've heard the TNX is very durable. I have never owned one, so i cant say much. I have owned the MGT, and still own my LST. The MGT at the time just didnt seem all that tough to me. I sold it real quick when i heard the LST was coming out, and had high hopes of a better truck. I ended up with more problems, and waaaay more money into the truck. I'd have to say the LST is probably the least reliable of that list you have there. Read the RCU review of the truck, its very accurate. It drives great, handles great, but has never finished a race day without breaking. The only feature on the MGT i feel needs an update is that outdated slipper design. Friction pegs!!!! BARF!!! Honestly though, you will probably be happy with any of the 3. I just think with Team Losi's great reputation, they could have produced a GREAT truck. It is very popular though, and has strong support from many companies. Aside from my complaints, im still constantly dumping money into it. Hoping one day to finish a race with my LST.
Old 03-28-2005, 12:34 PM
KaliFormuLA

wow thermal... with all that said i'm surprised you haven't given in yet a baught yourself a TNX. i know how you feel about tamiya and there support but i promise you, you'll be kickin some ass with one.[>:] just say screw it!... and when you order one throw in a bunch of spare parts with it. give in to the darkside already anakin!!!!LOL.
Old 03-28-2005, 01:26 PM
BillyPratt75

I bought a Monster Gt around Christmas and I haven't had one problem with it. I really like that fact that everything is right in front of you and easy to get to when working on it and cleaning it. I did about 3 months of research before I bought this truck and I feel that I made the right decision. You will find in these forums that people usually push what they have. But you will find others like THERMAL that will give you an answer from experience. He was one of the people who answered me when I was looking.
I don't have any experience with the LST, so I can't give you any input on that truck, but around the same time I bought the MGT, my friend bought a TNX. This truck, like the MGT is rather tough and can take a beating. It has a great motor and it will get up and go. I have heard over and over how slow the MGT is and I haven't found this to be the case. While breaking in the two trucks, the TNX looked like it was going to wipe the floor with my MGT. But when I was done breaking the MGT in and we tuned both trucks we were very close. ( we have been side by side ever since ) I don't know if my engine is some sort of freak or his is weak, but they are dead even. I know you're going to get people in here that call BS to this, but I have no reason to lie about it. I like both trucks and If I had the money and more time to put into the hobby, I would own both trucks. You really can't imagine how close they are until you see them in person. The size is almost identical. They are both very easy to disassemble and work on. It's really hard for me to tell you which one to buy. Like THERMAL said, the parts for the TNX are a little hard to come by, but from what I have seen, you won't be needing any parts. As far as the MGT goes, I haven't had any problems with it either. The best advice I can give you is to go to your local hobby shop and track and look over the trucks and watch them on the track.
If you have any detailed questions about the MGT and TNX, please feel free to ask.
Old 03-28-2005, 01:32 PM
HPIDUDE

all nice but the tnx PRO is the best for the money

http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...duct-id=43508X
Old 03-28-2005, 02:33 PM
HoldDaMayo
My Feedback: (1)

I have an MGT and a TNX... I would definitely buy the TNX. The LST has more issues than both but better standard equipment, engine, radio, etc...

TNX if you want an out of the box winner, MGT if you want to build up a monster from a solid base.
Old 03-28-2005, 02:55 PM
turbopwr

I also have a MGT and TNX and would recommend the TNX. Get the Proline TNX when it comes out as the TNX does need shocks and with the Powerstroke shocks it handles like a dream. I understand why you like the LST as it is eye candy. But i've heard to many duribility problems with the LST as I don't need that, I already have a TMAXXwhich was a money pit.
Old 03-28-2005, 03:15 PM
ICrashThings

MGT, seems to level out in the air better then a TNX...also its bigger and has more of an after market.
Old 03-28-2005, 03:28 PM
turbopwr

Icrashthings you are correct about the MGT correcting better in the air. All you have to do to the TNX is move the battery pack to the front of the chassis by the front shock tower to get the better balance. That mod is free. The TNX will get better air due to its lighter weight though.
Old 03-28-2005, 08:11 PM
HoldDaMayo

I'm gonna have to disagree, I feel like the MGT reacts too easily in the air, the TNX is easier to control using gas and brake... I always feel like I'm overcorrecting with the MGT... but that being said, the MGT is more fun to hill climb and take really rough terrain due to it's bigger wheels and heavier frame.
Old 03-28-2005, 08:55 PM
hdmax

WOW!
When I dicided to put this here, I knew I'd hear better things about the MGT, and TNX, but never in my wildest dream did I think the LST would be trashed so badly.
If it`s the truth, so be it. That is what I need to hear before I fork out a ton of money for a toy.

Thanks for the feed back, I hope there is lots more information forth coming.

Thanks!

Mike
Old 03-28-2005, 11:07 PM
hdmax

I just finished reading the review for the second time, that is here on RC Universe. Here is the star system that was used.

Quality **** (4 STARS)
Performance ***** (5 STARS)
Assembly Ease ***** (5 STARS)
Handling **** (4 STARS)
Durability **** (4 STARS)
Speed ***** (5 STARS)
Engine ***** (5 STARS)
Price ***** (5 STARS)

I understand that these test are short term use, but the rateing they gave it is pretty good.
I have now read three reviews on the LOSI LST, and all three have really bragged on the truck. So maybe it is a worthy truck.
Old 03-28-2005, 11:52 PM
turbopwr

Sound like you have made up your mind already. You asked for opinions we gave them to you. If you really like the LST then get it. If you really like a certain truck then you should get the one you want. We gave you real world experiences and we don't get paid by manufactures of the trucks that advertise on our magazine pages or sites. I know alot of magazines that rave about the TMAXX and it's won truck of the year but I have one and it is a broken part waiting to happen. I'm not trying to be a A** but if you like a particular truck get it.
Old 03-29-2005, 01:15 AM
SublimeJason
Banned

ORIGINAL: turbopwr

Sound like you have made up your mind already. You asked for opinions we gave them to you. If you really like the LST then get it. If you really like a certain truck then you should get the one you want. We gave you real world experiences and we don't get paid by manufactures of the trucks that advertise on our magazine pages or sites. I know alot of magazines that rave about the TMAXX and it's won truck of the year but I have one and it is a broken part waiting to happen. I'm not trying to be a A** but if you like a particular truck get it.
I Agree with Him 100%
I have an LST, Had it for Around 6 months or more and Have had Very Little Problems, I'm still Running 98% Stock and Have just over 4 Gallons in it and Most of the Drivings Been this Winter in the Cold(I live in Canada).
I Up-graded the Diff cases to Alum,Never Broke any thing that was Not my falt.

Ya have to Read the Forms Carfully, Half of the Guys are Newbes with a Good Truck, That Can't Drive And Don't have a Clue on how to Fix it, Crying that it's the Truck, when its ( mostly the Driver).
This is a Hobby and it cost Money, Don't matter what Truck you get Sooner or Later Something Will Break! But thats Part of the Fun is to Work on & Up-Grade your Truck to make it what YOU want it to BE.

PS. the LST is Easy to work on & The parts are Cheep.
Just my 2 cents
Old 03-29-2005, 04:34 AM
skate4182

My TNX rocks, i've NEVER had to replace a single part so far......

Although I got the normal TNX i think HPIDUDE is right the tnx pro looks wicked and it will brush anything else out of the way.

Personally i think TNX but lst is good and so is the GT with the melennium pro upgrade kit.
Old 03-29-2005, 11:05 AM
TGreg24

ok here im going to say it. in my exsperience with rc u should alway buy wat ur heart desires. wat ever u buy will break but also wat ever u buy ur love. its called owner loyalty. its a wonderful concept. i've bought a savage about a year ago and still the only thing i've broken was the pesty slippergear. i recommend the savage, also if u intend on racing i have a couple mods u and do to make it handle.
Old 03-29-2005, 03:52 PM
HPIDUDE

We gave you real world experiences and we don't get paid by manufactures of the trucks that advertise on our magazine pages or sites. I know alot of magazines that rave about the TMAXX and it's won truck of the year but I have one and it is a broken part waiting to happen.
RCCA I assume?
Old 03-29-2005, 05:13 PM
MrGame

i've had an MGT and i have an LST, and i love the LST (in my opinion) it's a way better deal than the MGT, you get a 200 dollar radio, a great engine, fuel filter, a one piece tuned pipe that you won't need to upgrade, and parts are really easy to find. With a secondary gear cover, aluminum diff cases, and a savage clutch (unless they upgraded the stock shoes/springs) and you've got yourself a winner, i never have any problems with mine except when i blew my engine a few days ago..which i replaced with an SH 28 , and i don't know if the engine was bad or i messed it up but it didn't last very long..you also have to take a washer out of the Mach 26 or else it shreds up inside of the truck
Old 03-30-2005, 12:35 AM
hdmax

turbopwr;
I took your advice, and placed an order for the LOSI LST at a local hobby shop! I was able to pick up the aluminum differential covers and an extra A-arm (top and bottom, I figured one of each was good for now!) So now the waiting game has started. I was told it would be about a week to 10 days due to a back log of orders.

Old 03-30-2005, 02:35 AM
turbopwr

Good to hear you purchased the truck you really wanted. Thats what this hobby is all about,having fun and hopping up your truck. I hope you really enjoy your truck as it is one of the fastest stock trucks you can get. Give it a proper break in and then let her rip!
Old 03-30-2005, 09:36 PM
HoldDaMayo

this hobby is all about flaming people with inferior trucks!!! DUH!!!!

haha, jk!
Old 03-30-2005, 10:17 PM
HPIDUDE

pretty much, yea.
Old 03-30-2005, 11:18 PM
RenegadeRevo

ORIGINAL: HoldDaMayo

this hobby is all about flaming people with inferior trucks!!! DUH!!!!

haha, jk!

So, that's what I'm supposed to be doing to HPI guys? I didn't know that...
Old 03-31-2005, 12:25 AM
hdmax

Looks as though I was too quick at leting you know about my order.

When I got home today, I had a message from the LHS, they needed me to call them. It seems as though the LOSI LST is now on back order with no set date for shipment.

Has anyone heard/read anything about this? Are they selling that fast? Or are they doing an upgrade/changes? I don't want to wait for months on this truck! But I will wait awhile!

I know of another shop that has two in stock, but they want about $40 more for them. Too me, $521 for the truck is all I think I should pay. The owner gave me the choice of keeping the order, (If the price goes up, I do not pay more, if it goes down, I get a refund for the difference.) or pick any other truck in his shop for 10% off the shop price. He has all the Traxxas models, the Monster GT, and the TNX. I have 30 days to give him an answer.

I think he is being more then fair. He must have said he was sorry 15 times. I am thinking I'll wait 2-3 weeks, and if there still isn't a shipping date, then I'll get the TNX for $391.95 minus the 10%, $352.72 would be my price. It looks like a heavy duty truck, in fact I think the axles look much stronger. But then there is the $200 radio with the LST.

The guys there, (5 total) were talking about the Revo with the LST engine, I guess they have done this too 2 Revo`s, They are sold on that setup, saying it is the best setup of any monster truck, If the 2.5R could be sold, that would help on the price. I bring this up just to let those here know that this may be an option for some.

I guess the wait just may have grew much longer.

************************************************** ************************************************** ********

Mike
Old 03-31-2005, 12:59 AM
Raster

ORIGINAL: hdmax

Looks as though I was too quick at leting you know about my order.

When I got home today, I had a message from the LHS, they needed me to call them. It seems as though the LOSI LST is now on back order with no set date for shipment.

Has anyone heard/read anything about this? Are they selling that fast? Or are they doing an upgrade/changes? I don't want to wait for months on this truck! But I will wait awhile!

I know of another shop that has two in stock, but they want about $40 more for them. Too me, $521 for the truck is all I think I should pay. The owner gave me the choice of keeping the order, (If the price goes up, I do not pay more, if it goes down, I get a refund for the difference.) or pick any other truck in his shop for 10% off the shop price. He has all the Traxxas models, the Monster GT, and the TNX. I have 30 days to give him an answer.

I think he is being more then fair. He must have said he was sorry 15 times. I am thinking I'll wait 2-3 weeks, and if there still isn't a shipping date, then I'll get the TNX for $391.95 minus the 10%, $352.72 would be my price. It looks like a heavy duty truck, in fact I think the axles look much stronger. But then there is the $200 radio with the LST.

The guys there, (5 total) were talking about the Revo with the LST engine, I guess they have done this too 2 Revo`s, They are sold on that setup, saying it is the best setup of any monster truck, If the 2.5R could be sold, that would help on the price. I bring this up just to let those here know that this may be an option for some.

I guess the wait just may have grew much longer.

************************************************** ************************************************** ********

Mike

Mike,

I wouldn't be surprised if Losi was making some running changes. The LST has proven to be less than durable. It's fast - yes, but not durable. Sure, a lot of people will say "I've been running mine for x-number of days/months and don't have problems...", but that statement can be made about ANY truck.

It's fine that a lot of people like their LST - there's nothing wrong with that. But I've gone through the same thing as you, researching for MONTHS, in looking for durability, speed, etc. and have been told by people that run them, shops that sell them and tracks that have them race, that THEY ARE NOT DURABLE. When people talk about the LST, they always mention "the good radio" and "the good engine", but that's not the whole story. Broken drivetrain parts, broken A-arms, broken diff cases, some broken chassis, problems with transmission shifting, etc. I would rather buy a good radio for a better truck. I do think the LST has the potential to be a good truck, but I think it is having teething problems. (Personally, my opinion - and it is only my opinion - is that there had to be some compromises in the design to cut weight as much as possible. It is a big, heavy truck and from examining it, I think it needs some beefier components to support the stresses of it's size and design. Unfortunately, beefing up a lot of those components would bloat an already heavy 13-pound truck to something out of control.)

I don't know much about the TNX. Shops around here don't carry Tamiya parts and not many people run them, here.

The MGT is super. It is not the fastest MT, but it is VERY durable and reliable. It handles well, too. The engine is easy to crank, easy to tune and is VERY reliable. It doesn't break very often. (A lot of people have put their's through a lot of abuse.) There are plenty of parts available. You can also add a better pipe... you can install the FOC... you can put racing tires & wheels on it and get lots more power and speed. The stock engine has dual-starting capability - pull start or shaft start. If you ever wear out the stock engine, you can put something like a Wasp .26 in it and have a screamer. The radio is not a great one, but you can replace that later.

As for the Revo - it's a great handling truck. I'm planning to replace the engine in mine, but I'm not about to put a .26 in it. I'm putting an O.S. 18TM in it. That will make the Revo a screamer. That combination is dominating at a lot of race tracks around the country. The Revo is also a pretty good basher, although probably not as rugged as the MGT. I think it's more durable than the LST, though. The radio in it is not a great one, but you can replace it later, too. This is a super race truck. The stock Traxxas 2.5r is a great engine, by the way, and the electric EZ-Start system makes it very convenient to crank.

There is also the Savage. The new 4.6 SS kit looks great and already has most all of the hopups the Savage 25 needed. It also has a strong engine. This truck doesn't handle as well as the Revo or the MGT, though. It's better as a bashing jumper. It has a higher center of gravity, so it flips more. You will also need a radio system and servos. The 4.6 kit is a pull-start. (I wouldn't get the Savage 25 RTR kit at this point.)

Sorry for writing a book, but in my quests on the Internet to find information, I've always appreciated as much information as possible.

Hope this helps,
Raster

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.