View Poll Results: A poll
100.00%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Newbie....

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2005, 01:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie....

Hi u guys, i am thinking of getting a savage 25, they are said to be very tough and have a good engine(lots of rpm and tourqe).

also l@@ked at the cen genesis and that is a big truck, i mainly want one thats fast, powerful and isnt going to break five minuites after i start the thing.

any help and info would b very much aprecieated: pros cons and if any of u guys have one - even better

thanx...
Old 05-14-2005, 05:39 PM
Salty0790

Default RE: Newbie....

the genisis is probably the biggest truck out there. i dont know how the genisis and the savage compare in speed, but i do know that the genisis has more power and torque. when it comes to durability, nothing comes close to a savage. the stock engine on this savage is easy to tune. out of these two trucks, i would definetly go with the savage. thats what i have, and i love it!
Old 05-14-2005, 07:11 PM
CR500rider

I agree with Salty0790, get a savage 25 and if possible get the updated one that have the 4 spider diff mod and the updated steering servo saver
Old 05-14-2005, 11:31 PM
crazychris7

lol at the poll... but a savy would be a great beginner truck!

Chris
Old 05-15-2005, 02:48 AM
MountainMotor
My Feedback: (7)

Don't get a Genesis, all I've heard is bad about them! The Savage 25 would be a good beginner truck but if you want big and fast get an LST, I love mine! Fast and very durable.
Old 05-15-2005, 02:49 AM
RenegadeRevo
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: crazychris7

lol at the poll... but a savy would be a great beginner truck!

Chris
Agreed. I think #1 the Genesis is too much power for a Newbie... #2 the Genesis is too much of a fix-it type truck... and #3.. Savage is just better. Realize that this is my own personal opinion, based off of what I have experienced.. and it does not reflect the opinion of RCU as a whole. (just wanna make sure I'm not called for "arguing" or talking out my behind...)
Old 05-15-2005, 03:39 AM

Thanx guys, i personally know two people who own savages one owns a sav 21, genesis and a tmaxx and the other owns a sav 25. they both prefer the savage so i think it'll b the savage 4 me.

just one thing, i've heard that a lot of people upgrade their engines 2 somthing like the picco .26, is it worth me upgrading or just keeping the stock engine 4 now.

any help would b much apretiated and wat mods do u guys do 2 your savages???
Old 05-15-2005, 07:36 AM
Tnx_4_life

ORIGINAL: Salty0790

when it comes to durability, nothing comes close to a savage.

i disagree. there are some truck out there that could be just as durable. Like the TNX, i havent broken much on my TNX. The only thing i broke are 2 shock rod ends after a bad jump..(half missed it lol) and i think the Revo is a very durable truck too(after seeing some vids..)

Im not saying the savage is bad truck, IMO its a really good truck. im just saying its not the only good truck out there...
Old 05-15-2005, 08:28 AM
Croozer
My Feedback: (1)

A friend of mine who is new to RC bought a Revo and he loves it, that was until he saw my Monster Beetle.
Old 05-15-2005, 08:47 AM

yeh, from the vids ive seen the TNX and the Revo both seem to be very durable, but i think the revo is more of a sport/race type truck isnt it??? i was prefering to get one with a large ground clearnce and good off-road ability.

do any of your guys know wat mods i should do to the savage if i choose to get one - dont get me wrong the stock settings and componants sound ok, but it seems a lot of people do a lot of mods to their vehicles
Old 05-15-2005, 08:58 AM
maxximum_overdrive

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the savage is a great truck, a friend of mine has one. i however have a t-maxx, and i love it. i wouldn't trade it for anything...........well ok i could be convinced to trade it, but it would have to be a sweet deal. any back on subject. down the road after i get an 1/8 buggie, i'm thinking about getting a savy. i was really torn between the savy and the maxx when i was first shopping. and ended up with the maxx because i found a sweet deal on it the i couldn't really pass up. my lhs had it missmarked for 309 (usually 379). and he stood behing the tag. i was really luck there. if it hadn't been for that i would prob have a savy though.........point being, the savy is a great truck for a newb. and as your skills grew, your truck can be adapted to your level of rc. my to cents..............................peace
Old 05-15-2005, 09:26 AM

thanks maxximum_overdrive, to be hones i have been looking at a few trucks, the reason why i said savv was cose i have seen people mension the savage quite a few times and it seems to be a fairly popular and qenuinnly good truck.

the other thing is the fact that i have quite a limited budget and my main scource of money at the moment wil be when i sell my model plane, (have a small amount of rc skill from that) so at the moment i am just looking, all the info is very useful though so thanx again.

do any of u guys know where i could find cheap trucks on the net, i just want to make sure i can get a reasonbaly priced truck that isnt going to die the first second i try it
Old 05-15-2005, 10:26 PM
ScMc

You want a Tamiya TNX. It's able to bash alongside Savages and race competitively with Revos. Its an awesome jumper, does wheelies, 40+ mph, etc. The stock engine on the TNX is an OS engine. OS makes THE BEST and MOST RELIABLE engine in the industry, hands down.

This past weekend I took my TNX out to the gravel pits. I had a blast!! There's this one HUGE hill called suicide hill. Its almost impossible to get all the way up this hill, not only because its REALLY steep, but also because the top is almost vertical. This TNX flat-out amazed me. I hit the hill (mountain) with a running start in 2nd gear, got all the way up and did a rainbow at the top. I probably could've made it all the way up the hill but I didnt want the truck to come tumbling down after hitting the vertical part of the slope. It became clear to me that climbing is one of the many areas this truck excels in.

You cant go wrong with a TNX man. Hopefully you'll make the right choice [8D]
Old 05-16-2005, 01:46 AM
dosmonkey

your right ScMc, i ve seen a TNX in action and i must admit, there awsomm, and u says its got a OS in it, thats sweet (my planes fitted with an OS so i know wat u mean by them being reliable etc...)[8D]

yeh, hopefully Your'll make the right choice
Old 05-16-2005, 07:37 AM
ScMc

ORIGINAL: dosmonkey

your right ScMc, i ve seen a TNX in action and i must admit, there awsomm, and u says its got a OS in it, thats sweet (my planes fitted with an OS so i know wat u mean by them being reliable etc...)[8D]

yeh, hopefully Your'll make the right choice
Dosmonkey knows what he's talking about[8D]

TNX is where its at.
Old 05-16-2005, 11:22 AM
IslandSavage

I would say MGT is a better begginer truck. Its ALOT more easier to work on than a savage.
Old 05-16-2005, 01:14 PM
dosmonkey

Thanks ScMc

ORIGINAL: IslandSavage

I would say MGT is a better begginer truck. Its ALOT more easier to work on than a savage.

ive seen inside the MGT, is the desighn slightly more simple or summin, do u know where i could find some closeups of the inside, the reviews of it sound good!
Old 05-16-2005, 06:50 PM
savagesrule

Savage is a good choice if you have some experience wrenching but if not i suggest you go with something more along the lines of a MGT just like IslandSavage said they are soooo easy to work on, and they are decent in speed and durability.
Old 05-16-2005, 06:54 PM
ScMc

ORIGINAL: savagesrule

Savage is a good choice if you have some experience wrenching but if not i suggest you go with something more along the lines of a MGT just like IslandSavage said they are soooo easy to work on, and they are decent in speed and durability.
TNX's are faster, more durable AND more reliable (os engine) than MGTs. Did you not get the memo?
Old 05-17-2005, 10:33 PM
cruiserx

tnx's more durable than a mgt??? i dont know about that....the tnx is a good truck..not a lot of shops carry them or spare parts...the only gripe i see in the tnx is they seem to strip alot of spur gears...you cant adjust the mess on them...on the other hand i would have to say that for a beginner you flat out cant beat a t-maxx or s-maxx or revo for a newbie..the kit manual blows everybody else's away..and the tunning dvd is perfect for teaching a newbie on how to do everything with thier new nitro truck..traxxas custumer support is 2nd to NOBODY!!! on top of that the maxx's and revo's with the trx 2.5 engines are hard to beat in acceleration and top speed...they are #1 in sells for a reason...a good reason..
Old 05-18-2005, 01:56 AM
turbopwr

I have a MGT,TNX,and Revo. The TNX and Revo are better trucks than the MGT in my opinion. The spur gear problem is caused by chassis flex due to Tamiya choosing to use wood type screws which tend to back out. The screws come loose from the chassis brace thus flexing, causing the motor to loose proper gear mesh and strip the spur gear. Just get a screw kit and some CA glue on the threads and the problem is solved.

Reliability wise the TNX is up there with the MGT and Savage. The weak point are the axles that break. MIP is working on that right now and sent some units out to the Tamiya guys for the Nitro Max challange and they said they worked well without breaking. By the way the TNX won 1st and 2nd place in the small block class.

Of the three I like the Revo and TNX the best.
Old 05-18-2005, 07:26 AM
ScMc

ORIGINAL: cruiserx

tnx's more durable than a mgt??? i dont know about that....the tnx is a good truck..not a lot of shops carry them or spare parts...the only gripe i see in the tnx is they seem to strip alot of spur gears...you cant adjust the mess on them...on the other hand i would have to say that for a beginner you flat out cant beat a t-maxx or s-maxx or revo for a newbie..the kit manual blows everybody else's away..and the tunning dvd is perfect for teaching a newbie on how to do everything with thier new nitro truck..traxxas custumer support is 2nd to NOBODY!!! on top of that the maxx's and revo's with the trx 2.5 engines are hard to beat in acceleration and top speed...they are #1 in sells for a reason...a good reason..
I havent stripped a single spur gear. What I HAVE broken are two knuckles, an a-arm, I bent a Big Bore shock, and twisted 3 driveshafts bashing the fook out of this thing and having a blast

The reason I dont think Traxxas makes a good beginner truck are the engines. The 2.5s are known to be very picky and not hold a tune. I have experienced two traxxas engines in the time I've been in the hobby and maybe it was just a coincidence, but these engines were hard to get along with. Tuning DVD? The TNX comes with a GREAT one with everything a newb would ever need to know.

The tnx has OS reliability for newbies. Its a solid racer (as the tamiya team has shown the world) and it can bash with the best of them, (from what I've personally experienced)

Old 05-18-2005, 11:53 AM
Tnx_4_life

yep i havent broken any big part yet...but havent had a real chance to bash the hell out of it ghehe...just wait...[>:]....
Old 05-18-2005, 12:14 PM
lloydy

the mad force is unbreakable, -- i know, ive tried
Old 05-18-2005, 02:15 PM
Ducman69

The Traxxas T-Maxx is the original, but definitely not the most durable current MT on the market. However, put a new Traxxas Revo and T-Maxx side-by-side and you can see all the countless upgrades Traxxas put into this new "revo-lutionary" (heh) model. It really is amazing. Its chassis allows it to sport 4" of ground clearance (Savage has 3" even though it is much taller, for comparison) while maintaining as low a CG as possible and w/ a sweet suspension that boasts more travel than any MT currently on the market and is highly adjustable. Savage is definitely the other great option as a very durable (if not as high tech) basher, and has a much more powerful bigblock motor and beefy tranny to match. Looks cooler too being bigger/taller and more MT like. IMO: Revo = best option for handling + durability. Savage = best option for power + durability. Two top togs. Two very different beasts. But you can't lose either way if you go with one of those two!

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...article_id=409

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.