Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Radio upgrade?

Old 06-03-2005, 11:38 AM
kiokentruck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio upgrade?

what would be the benefit of upgrading from a am radio to a fm radio. is it really worth it, or just keep my am radio?
Old 06-03-2005, 12:46 PM
gerwen

Default RE: Radio upgrade?

It all depends.
An FM radio should give you better range and better glitch resistance.

They can also give you much more adjustability. If you're willing to learn how to use the features, things like end point adjustment, throttle deadband, exponential, etc, can help you get your radio dialed into your truck and how you drive.

Model memory is also nice if you have more than one vehicle to be controlled by one radio.

If you're willing to use its features, a new radio can be a nice addition.

Hitec crx, Airtronics MX-3 and Futaba 3PM were all really nice radios that i was considering. I got a JR XS3 for synth, and i'm very happy with it.
Old 06-03-2005, 01:49 PM
fantomas
My Feedback: (3)

This is just my 2 cents, but if you do upgrade to a fm radio purchase one that will work with spektrum. The srx is a great buy.. I picked one up at my LHS for 105.00 after taxes with the mini receiver. I also upgraded it to dsm with the spektrum module for another 149.00.. so for around 260.00 (give or take) you can have a great radio set up. Way better than the model horizon is offering with the spektrum built in and for around the same price..
Old 06-03-2005, 02:09 PM
Tigger N. Bennie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thinking long term... Or you could just purchase the Nomadio Sensor for $500 like I did since I opted not to purchase a Specktrum module for my Futaba T3PK. I also have an FM JR XS3 and some other AM transmitters. The thing is that I recommend purchasing a radio that someone likes the feel of to hold (left handed or right handed). Myself, I prefer my Futaba T3PK over a Ko Propo Helios (or probably the newer JR version), the Airtronics M8, or even my JR. I did like the optional adjustible radio wheel on the Ko Propo, but the Nomadio Sensor is already angled outward. I just wish I had as many tranceivers for my Sensor as I do for my JR XS3. It's also my understanding that the M8 has been discontinued since the M11 is coming out--perhaps, there will be some cheap M8s on the market or ebay soon. Umm, I wonder--if the M8 receiver doesn't work with the M11, will the Specktrum module for the M8 work with the M11. I guess I don't have to worry about that one since I'm not using a module set up with the Nomadio.
Old 06-03-2005, 04:36 PM
kiokentruck

ive narrowed it down the to mx3 or the jr xs3. which one would you guys suggest?
Old 06-06-2005, 08:01 AM
gerwen

If you're putting the crystal version of the MX-3 versus the synth XS3 i say go synth. If you're considering the synth MX-3A, versus the XS3, then go to the LHS and figure out which one is more comfortable to hold. That's your radio.