Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

CaNt DeCidE!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2005, 11:22 AM
vinny422

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CaNt DeCidE!!!

i need help deciding which truck is better? monster gt or the revo ? i need help to decide which truck i am getting more for my money. i want a pretty fast truck that can take a beaten.
Old 06-10-2005, 01:03 PM
yamaguchi

Default RE: CaNt DeCidE!!!

Its a hard decision aint it? I am in the same boat. I think from what all I have read, both are great trucks. The Revo is faster and handles better but the MGT is bigger and maybe a little tougher, but I read alot about how good a basher a Revo is. Both are usually well supported at hobby shops too. The MGT can be had at Ultimate for $349 shipped though. It also probably has the easiest to tune eng out there.
Old 06-10-2005, 01:32 PM
proxpilot
My Feedback: (3)

my buddie bought a revo yesterday and i own a MGT lets just say i trade mine anyday
Old 06-10-2005, 02:01 PM
RenegadeRevo
My Feedback: (1)

I bought a Revo in November 2004, let's just say I would NEVER trade it....
Old 06-10-2005, 02:20 PM
yamaguchi

Revofamily I put a post on the Traxas forum here asking about what mods for big time jumps. I have read where yours has held up well, could you share any mods you have done to help it durability wise. Also didnt you put a Sirio .23 in yours, hows that working out?
Old 06-10-2005, 02:30 PM
RenegadeRevo

I have the stock suspension setup. I have not upgraded anything on the suspension (aside from now I have P2 rockers for racing)... I did put the red alloy pushrods on it, but I didn't like them after they snapped when I hit a brick at the track... so, I put the stockers back on it. I don't have a Sirio .23, I have an RB Concepts TM323, which from what I understand is VERY similar to the Sirio. I love the engine! It has so much power, it's almost uncontrolable.... for racing... I wouldn't really recommend it, only because it has TOO much low-end power. On a dirt track, that just makes the tires spin. (trust me... on the straight-away at the local track... I can be doing 1/2 throttle, and gun it, and do a 4-wheel push) Got a friend with an OS 18tz on his Revo, and it's great... but for bashing and jumping... the .23 is AWESOME.

Sorry... I lied... I put 70wt oil in the shocks. I forgot that that is an upgrade.
Old 06-10-2005, 03:42 PM
vinny422

revofamily, how is the difference in speed between the mgt and revo? i heard the revo has only 1.2 hp but is still fast. how is that?
Old 06-10-2005, 03:45 PM
vinny422

and if all possible can anyone tell me the difference between the 2 trucks

A. Durability
B. Speed
C. Jumping
Old 06-10-2005, 03:51 PM
yamaguchi

MGT 32 mph, Revo 40+. You have to remember a Revo is only 9.5 lbs a MGT 12 lbs. Takes alot of eng to make up that. Just about everybody upgrades the eng in both. The MGT is probably the most underpowered of the 2 though. The MGT has a tough drivetrain except for the slipper, it uses friction pegs. I dont know how well the Revo holds up with a bigger eng though.
Old 06-10-2005, 03:54 PM
vinny422

do u know of any engines that will drop in the mgt without any changes needed? i seem to like the mgt bc i just cnt piocture a revo beeing a btter truck
Old 06-10-2005, 04:04 PM
yamaguchi

The Mach .26, Picco .26 are drop ins for sure and there are others too. There are kits for $40 to put .21 size case engs in a Revo too. Picco .26 in a Revo would be cool.
Old 06-10-2005, 04:09 PM
RenegadeRevo

Personally, I've never run an MGT... so, I don't know how they compare in the real world. On paper, the Revo is faster than the MGT. The hp/weight ratio on the Revo is lower than that of the MGT, however, the Revo makes up for that in gearing....

As for the bigger engine in the Revo... I have a .23 in my Revo and have had NO drivetrain problems whatsoever. The only thing I've done is finish chewing up a spur. (it was already pretty chewed before I put the .23 in there) I've heard of people putting a Wasp .26 (freez) and bigger in 'em without any drivetrain problems.

I am not going to comment on the MGT, since I don't know much about them.
Old 06-10-2005, 04:11 PM
vinny422

thanx a lot ur descisions are helping alot
Old 06-10-2005, 04:12 PM
RenegadeRevo

ORIGINAL: yamaguchi

The Mach .26, Picco .26 are drop ins for sure and there are others too. There are kits for $40 to put .21 size case engs in a Revo too. Picco .26 in a Revo would be cool.

The Revo has a few engines that come with mounts, and everything to install it ... (RB Concepts TM323 comes with mounts, pipe, header... everything) but for the most part, you can put just about ANY engine in it... The OS 18tm is a good one, too.. it has good performance, not too expensive... and is a direct drop-in...
Old 06-10-2005, 04:50 PM
yamaguchi

What does the RB Concepts go for?
Old 06-10-2005, 04:52 PM
snowbl!nd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As for replacing the engine it the MGT, all you need to purchase is an aftermarket engine mount. There are a few availible produced by "nova rc products" and "2 cool rc"(look on e/bay). They simply replace the stock mount, and allow mounting of a .21 (including the stock), .26 or a .28.

From my experience however, i do not believe that the MGT is underpowered, it seems very happy with the stock 21.
Old 06-10-2005, 04:57 PM
yamaguchi

Again I am just going by what I have read so take it all with a grain of salt. I didnt realize when you do the math that the MGT actually has the higher hp to weight.
Old 06-10-2005, 05:41 PM
BillyPratt75

These two trucks are so different it's hard to compare them. The revo is 1/10 scale and the MGT is 1/8. My MGT looks like a giant sitting next to the small revo. The technology on the revo is very impressive and it's a very nice truck, but I was looking for something big and rugged looking. I am not a racer either, so I was looking for something I would drive around with some friends and bash a little. I have a friend with a revo and a TNX, so I have seen the truck in action. The revo is very quick, just as the TNX is quick too, but mine will stay right beside them both. I keep thinking I got some sort of freak engine in my MGT, becasuse eveyone in this forum says the MGT is low on power. I just haven't seen proof of this. I know it weighs 12 lbs. and only has a .21 engine, but the thing screams. It almost brings the front wheels up when I'm on grass. When looking at these two trucks, you really have to know what you are going to use it for. If you're going to strickly race it, I would go with the revo. If you are going to just bash and mess around with some friends, it's a toss up. You have to go back to the size issue. If you want a 1/10 scale with some nice new technology, go with the revo. If you want a 1/8 scale that has a very nice reliable engine and is huge, go with the MGT.
Old 06-10-2005, 06:00 PM
RenegadeRevo

The RB Concepts TM323 is $238 shipped from www.acehardwarehobbies.com

I like what I've seen of the MGT, I just have never really had any experience with it, so I can't really compare the 2. As far as the hp/weight ratio... the Revo is .14hp/lb vs. the MGT at .17hp/lb.... but the Revo makes up for it in gearing...