Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

motors, pipes, interchangeable?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

motors, pipes, interchangeable?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2005, 03:27 PM
fga
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default motors, pipes, interchangeable?

i see alot of people exchanging engines and pipes on their MT's. are most engines and pipes interchangeable among popular brand name trucks? for example, can a savge and MGT switch pipes, engines?
will an HPI ribbed pipe (like i saw on the another thread) work properly on a MGT.21, despite it fitting? will it produce the wrong amount of pressure to the tank?
my pop has an savage with the ribbed pipe, and i have a stock mgt. he thinks his is too loud and wanted to trade me. i want to keep it stock to keep it easy to repair and tune, always go with the stock numbers.

also, keeping with the same point. if you upgrade an engine, how do you know if the clutchbell on the new engine will fit onto your truck? i'd hate to spend $2 bills on a motor to have it not line up..
Old 07-25-2005, 03:46 PM
ThermalRD

Default RE: motors, pipes, interchangeable?

For the most part the .24+ size engines will fit where a .21 mounts. MOST of the time anyway. In some cases you'll see engine mounts just not fitting right. A dremel and some handy work can fix just about anything. lol. The pipes are pretty much the same way. Most of todays big block pipes are intended for .21's and up. That HPI ribbed pipe was actually one of the more popluar pipe swaps made on the MGT back when it first came out. Loud, but good power. In regards to the clutch bells on the new engine, you will usually end up re-shimming the CB to line up properly. There is an Ofna CB shimming kit that will get that done real nice, for around 6 bucks.
Old 07-25-2005, 04:00 PM
fga
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: ThermalRD

For the most part the .24+ size engines will fit where a .21 mounts. MOST of the time anyway. In some cases you'll see engine mounts just not fitting right. A dremel and some handy work can fix just about anything. lol. The pipes are pretty much the same way. Most of todays big block pipes are intended for .21's and up. That HPI ribbed pipe was actually one of the more popluar pipe swaps made on the MGT back when it first came out. Loud, but good power. In regards to the clutch bells on the new engine, you will usually end up re-shimming the CB to line up properly. There is an Ofna CB shimming kit that will get that done real nice, for around 6 bucks.
always helpful man, thanks.
i didn't know there was shim kits and things like that. cool.

i know that some pipes increase upper, and others increase low range power. would the ribbed pipe do the upper?
Old 07-25-2005, 04:38 PM
ThermalRD

I believe they claim that ribbed pipe is a torque pipe. Im not really positive though. It seems the older small block ribbed pipes i used back in the maxx days had proven to be top end pipes. Not sure if the two would be in any way related. Either way, that ribbed pipe produces great power on the savage. Typically guys with .21's will look for a torque pipe, because they already have the RPM's from the .21. And on that same line of thought, the LARGER engine owners (.24-.30) would really benefit from the top end pipe.
Old 07-25-2005, 11:47 PM
monst@r

Similiar question .. Would a .21 airfilter [ie: rb concepts] fit on a small block [ie: os .18tm]? And so pretty much all rear exhausts are compatible [header wise]?