Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

dont get the tnx

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2005, 08:21 PM
needmoducktpe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dont get the tnx

cause its junk i just bought one broke it in and the shocks broke and the arms broke without barely any abuse. the motor always overheats.
Old 08-25-2005, 08:34 PM
REVOJoe

Default RE: dont get the tnx

i thought you had decided on the MGT?, you even said you the shocks were junk when you posted about what truck to buy. Overheating sucks, maybe the needle setting was wrong from the factory? [sm=confused.gif]Have you completed the break-in on it?
Didn't you just get that truck today ?
Old 08-25-2005, 08:56 PM
turbopwr

I mentioned in your other post the shocks on the MGT and TNX were the weak points. The arms breaking is not a common problem on the TNX. If you broke a TNX arm i hate to see what would happen to a MGT,LST,or TMAXX arm. I have had my TNX for over a year and have not broken one arm.

As for engine overheating it has to do with tuning. That is one of the easiest and most stable box stock motors you can get in a RTR. Give us more details maybe we can help you sort out your problems. How are you measuring motor temp? Did you do proper break in proceedure? What type of fuel are you using?
Old 08-25-2005, 09:33 PM
ThermalRD

Are you referring to the standard TNX? Those shocks are pure garbage. As for the engine overheating, thats pretty common on this truck. I wont say its an issue, but i will say that most the guys on the Tamiyatrucks.com website will admit to running their trucks in the range of 290-300+. There is a thread about that over there. Mine seems to run hot even with that Tamiya Pro head on it. I have yet to break a suspension arm, but my spur gear was pretty damaged after a half tank at one of our outdoor tracks. To be honest, im not all that impressed with the truck either.
Old 08-25-2005, 09:34 PM
maxx power
My Feedback: (1)

So you managed to BREAK the shock and arm??? You must have hit something quite hard. I have put my TNX through all sorts of abuse and have never broke an arm. I had one lower arm get a hair line crack where the hinge pin goes through but that was from smacking a curb. As for the overheating you need to either check your needle settings or look for an air leak, or both.

ORIGINAL: needmoducktpe

cause its junk i just bought one broke it in and the shocks broke and the arms broke without barely any abuse. the motor always overheats.
Old 08-25-2005, 10:10 PM
turbopwr

ThemalRD-The spur gear prob is a common prob. I would reccomend a screw kit as the stock screw back out and cause the chassis to move messing up the gear mesh. Also check the motor to motor mount screws often as those will loosen up and cause the motor to shift.
Old 08-26-2005, 09:03 AM
arnee

Posting like 3 threads asking whickh truck is the best. I think this is a common mistake starters do. This engine is one of the easiest to tune and delivers tons of power. a-arm breaking thats not common the only time that happend to me was in winter full speed an crashed in concrete broke it. This is user mistake. Ain t this your first truck?

quote:

ORIGINAL: needmoducktpe

cause its junk i just bought one broke it in and the shocks broke and the arms broke without barely any abuse. the motor always overheats
Old 08-26-2005, 10:24 AM
tamiya08
My Feedback: (10)

Heres my synopsis:
You were going WOT through the whole first gallon, not tuning it and leaving it on factory specs. you then go WOT right into the wall breaking the tnx, you notice your overheating and you broke the truck, so you decide to make this post on RCU about the truck.

I bet if you checked the TNX subforum, Tnx modifided post, or Tamiyatrucks.com you could notice there there has been a discussion on all this.

Chris
Old 08-26-2005, 10:43 AM
Deandome
My Feedback: (1)

I dunno...the 'pro' version that comes w/the ProLine PowerStroke shocks & (I think) CVDs looks awfully sweet, and it more than takes care of the 'lame shocks' angle.

Does ProLine make arms for it?

Dean
Old 08-26-2005, 10:54 AM
ThermalRD

The TNX pro comes with proline shocks, and the bowties with dish wheels. It also includes the Tamiya cooling head. No, proline does not make arms for it. The Pro kit comes with instructions that tell you what to dremel, to make the shocks work. No cvd's are included.

ORIGINAL: Deandome

I dunno...the 'pro' version that comes w/the ProLine PowerStroke shocks & (I think) CVDs looks awfully sweet, and it more than takes care of the 'lame shocks' angle.

Does ProLine make arms for it?

Dean
Old 08-26-2005, 11:48 AM
needmoducktpe

i got a tnx and i pre ordered a monster gt 4.60 but before i got them i got a tmaxx for my birthday a week or so ago and that got me hooked thats why i bought a few. and plus my brother has a revo and i like the going hill climbing and i let my dad and sister use my other trucks so they all get used alot. i was new to the monster truck world but i have a couple of stadium trucks rc10gt and a electric rustler. i like the monster trucks way better they are way more fun. and i got the tnx arm fixed i dont know what was up with it i was just going down a bumpy road and i dont know if the wheel like stuck in a pot whole or what but i didnt hit ne thing. I got the engine to not over heat as much but it still does sometimes. its a fun truck but i think i like the t maxx better. i can t wait for the mgt 4.60!
Old 08-26-2005, 02:29 PM
Razoo
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: ThermalRD

Are you referring to the standard TNX? Those shocks are pure garbage. As for the engine overheating, thats pretty common on this truck. I wont say its an issue, but i will say that most the guys on the Tamiyatrucks.com website will admit to running their trucks in the range of 290-300+. There is a thread about that over there. Mine seems to run hot even with that Tamiya Pro head on it. I have yet to break a suspension arm, but my spur gear was pretty damaged after a half tank at one of our outdoor tracks. To be honest, im not all that impressed with the truck either.

You might not be impressed with it but when I read that it came in 1st & 2nd at RC Madness in both the small block and big block class that impresses the heck out of me. My TNX has never gone over 250 degrees in the year that I've had it. I'm still on the original spur gear also. I've never owned a better handleing or tougher truck than the TNX.
Old 08-26-2005, 03:53 PM
ThermalRD

Im glad you like the truck Razoo. Personally, i really dont care that they won both classes at that race. Why? Because it doesnt make my truck perform any better. Im hoping the TRF suspension makes this truck worth keeping. As is, i cant get this Pro kit to perform even remotely close to what i have seen in my Revo, and my old LST.
Old 08-26-2005, 03:59 PM
binaryterror

ORIGINAL: Razoo

You might not be impressed with it but when I read that it came in 1st & 2nd at RC Madness in both the small block and big block class that impresses the heck out of me. My TNX has never gone over 250 degrees in the year that I've had it. I'm still on the original spur gear also. I've never owned a better handleing or tougher truck than the TNX.
Do you race or only bash Razoo?
Old 08-26-2005, 04:52 PM
needmoducktpe

and i use odonnel fuel 20% what kind of fuel should i use in my new mgt 4.60?
Old 08-26-2005, 05:17 PM
Razoo

ORIGINAL: binaryterror

ORIGINAL: Razoo

Do you race or only bash Razoo?
I race locally. 3 other guys I race with have TNX's and none of us are having problems with them. I don't understand why Thermal is having so many problems. Maybe its the shocks- I use Traxxas big bores, could be the springs or even the oil. Mine handles like a dream and the 3 other guys love theirs also. The biggest competition are those pesky Revos and a guy with an LST. I have a Nova head and run 40 series bowties, and a promatch hump pack. I also switched receivers to an FM. Other than that its all stock.
Obviously the TNX's winning everwhere they race isn't going to make your truck any better Thermal, it just shows what its capable of when properly set-up!!
Old 08-26-2005, 05:34 PM
ThermalRD

Razoo, i never said i had tons of problems with the TNX. I did say it has not impressed me. Its fast, and the proline shocks are nice. The only breakage i've ever mentioned on the TNX was the spur. I dont blame the truck at all. The track i was on during that race was a MONSTER. I wouldnt be surprised to see any truck break on it, and have seen MANY break on that track. I was just shocked it only took half a tank. I honestly probably expected too much from it. I was a Tamiya fan growing up, and wanted it to be a great truck. Seeing it winning these races gave me the idea it might be this great racer. For me, its disappointing. For a basher, it would be pretty good i guess. Its plastic does seem durable, and its pretty fast. For me, it just doesnt turn, corner, or handle the way i need it to. Now, when the TRF suspension comes out, i can do some setup. Maybe then it will prove to be something i should keep in the collection. And Razoo, you mentioned in another post you never went over 250 on your engine. Then you just mentioned you ran the Nova cooling head.
Old 08-26-2005, 06:29 PM
Razoo

I put the head on before I even broke it in last year. I do that to every Truck, Car, Buggy that I own. IMO Its a sin what these manufacrurers are using for heads. I hope the TRF suspension works out for you. When its dialed in its like running on a rail. But who knows maybe the truck just doesn't suit your driving style. I drove one with the proline shocks and hated it but maybe it just wasn't set up for me. Thank god we have a huge selection to choose from. Nowdays it seems like its hard to go wrong with whatever one you pick. Did you ever solve the problem you were having with the Genesis gas tank? I'm on the fence about getting one and would like to know how its running.
Old 08-26-2005, 07:05 PM
ThermalRD

Razoo, the Genesis is running alot better from beginning to end now that i've shortened up the fuel line, and pressure line. The engine DOES take a long time to warm up though. I found that i changed the tune quite alot after the shorter lines. Now i need to reset my shift points again. I still really enjoy the truck.
Old 08-26-2005, 09:03 PM
turbopwr

thermalrd- have you moved the battery pack to front of the chassis for better steering. That mod makes a world of difference in steering.
Old 08-26-2005, 09:40 PM
ThermalRD

No, i have not moved that up front. The truck already has a tendency to nose dive on bigger jumps. I was really hoping to avoid adding weight to the front.
ORIGINAL: turbopwr

thermalrd- have you moved the battery pack to front of the chassis for better steering. That mod makes a world of difference in steering.
Old 08-27-2005, 11:11 AM
turbopwr

ThermalRD- You should really try the batttery pack in the front of the chassis as it will a ton of steering. My TNX jumps even and has great in air attitude. I also have a Revo also so I know what you talk about liking how the revo handles. The Revo suspension just plain works so great. The Revo does work better than the TNX on rough tracks but on smooth tracks the TNX does well.
Old 08-27-2005, 05:43 PM
ThermalRD

Thanks for the tips Turbopwr. I actually took my TNX Pro to the races today, with the intentions of just feeling the truck out. As well as seeing what mods i need to do. I am happy to say that i did have alot of fun driving it today. It handles really nice, and its just plain FAST!!! The lack of steering is still an issue, and i've really gotta lower this thing. So im gonna do a makeover on this truck, and try to keep it around for a while. I was having thoughts of just selling it, but i had fun with it today.
Old 08-27-2005, 07:24 PM
turbopwr

ThermalRD- I'm glad your starting to like the truck. To get more steering do the battery pack trick and on the knuckles/knukle carrier get the good ol dremal out and do some grinding. Turn the steering to full throw and look for where the knucle hits the carrier, Now grind a little relief where te knuckle hits the carrier and there you go , more steering.
Old 08-28-2005, 04:59 PM
marshon50

Besides moving the battery pack forward and grinding the hubs, you should also fill the rear diff with antiwear grease. I read on another thread that this is what Jun/Slayden did at RCMadness, so I tried it......What a difference!! The 'locked' rear diff allows the rear end to swing around corners in a perfectly controlled fashion. The only downside is that it takes almost 3/4 of a tube of grease to fill the diff and it costs around $8 per tube at Tower.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.