Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

Updated my gen 1 Tmaxx with a .27, need some fine tunning....

Community
Search
Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Updated my gen 1 Tmaxx with a .27, need some fine tunning....

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2005, 01:28 PM
subarubrat
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Updated my gen 1 Tmaxx with a .27, need some fine tunning....

I had my gen 1 Tmaxx sitting on the shelf for about 3 years with the stock motor. A friend at work had one with a .21 conversion that he cooked the engine on and traded the whole thing to me for next to nothing. It had metal shafts from the tranny to the diffs, heavy duty diffs, and steel halfshafts (MIP I think). I tore both of them down, used the .21 conversion chassis and the heavy duty drivetrain on the one I assembled and stored the other parts away as spares. For an engine I ordered the Picco .27 an it is installed along with the pipe, clutch etc.

I ran it yesterday with it set up fairly rich and put a few tanks through it. I am having a few minor tunning issues and would love to hear some input. I am not racing the truck, just road and a nice dirt lot.

Handeling: The truck's springs and shocks are stock other than a fresh cleaning and oil fill. I don't remember the truck being this "tippy" when it had the 15. Even at lower speeds it tends to lift tires when cornering. Handeling such as recovering when landing from a curb at high speed is fine. What would be a good spring package to use on a .21 chassis with this engine?

I think I could benefit from the newer widemaxx suspension design. I see that a company called RDlogistics sells some longer shafts that look like they would fit my diffs if I went with the widemaxx conversion. Are these as strong as the MIP's. Are they available in the length needed for the .21 chassis? Are there other companies that have some that are the right length?

Engine: The engine is clearly far more powerful than the .15 was. It was raining outside and with the wet road the truck would squat and move around allot but would not wheely. I am guessing it will in the dry. For some reason it wants to sputter and die at WOT, everywhere else it is responsive and runs well. I have seen allot of posts by savage owners about the same problem and they corrected it with a 2oz surge tank. Is that needed or is something just not right here?
Old 10-09-2005, 03:53 PM
jiggaman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Updated my gen 1 Tmaxx with a .27, need some fine tunning....

well its probley tippy because u dont have widemaxx and now with the bigger engine it has a higher center of gravity but u should just run some stiffer springs and thicker shock oil.
Old 10-09-2005, 08:17 PM
hybridstone

rpm make's the best wide a-arms 2nd best would be proline they have a complete wide arm kit as for cvds any 2.5 kit will work mip/dynamite/ rd /supermaxx/ xtm I use the dynamite one's on my maxx 21 and have had no issues. When you upgrade your arms add a set of rims with 1/2 offset it will make your maxx superstable also make shure your trans is built to handle the crazy power of that picco 27 thats almost too much power dude! trust me I have built alot of 21maxxes and a hyper 21 4port is plenty(1.9hp) For the trans you will need to regear it a 72th spur is way to low a robison racing 65 tooth steel spur with robison slipper and a 23th rrp cb is a must!! also you will need to beef up the internal trans gears to all rrp forward only steel gears make shure to use red locktite on the 65th spur screws and set the slipper so it slips a little and use a little grease on the steel trans gears just respect the power and try not to drive it on the street and you should be ok.cheers
Old 10-09-2005, 08:34 PM
zr1s10
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: subarubrat

I had my gen 1 Tmaxx sitting on the shelf for about 3 years with the stock motor. A friend at work had one with a .21 conversion that he cooked the engine on and traded the whole thing to me for next to nothing. It had metal shafts from the tranny to the diffs, heavy duty diffs, and steel halfshafts (MIP I think). I tore both of them down, used the .21 conversion chassis and the heavy duty drivetrain on the one I assembled and stored the other parts away as spares. For an engine I ordered the Picco .27 an it is installed along with the pipe, clutch etc.

I ran it yesterday with it set up fairly rich and put a few tanks through it. I am having a few minor tunning issues and would love to hear some input. I am not racing the truck, just road and a nice dirt lot.

Handeling: The truck's springs and shocks are stock other than a fresh cleaning and oil fill. I don't remember the truck being this "tippy" when it had the 15. Even at lower speeds it tends to lift tires when cornering. Handeling such as recovering when landing from a curb at high speed is fine. What would be a good spring package to use on a .21 chassis with this engine?

I think I could benefit from the newer widemaxx suspension design. I see that a company called RDlogistics sells some longer shafts that look like they would fit my diffs if I went with the widemaxx conversion. Are these as strong as the MIP's. Are they available in the length needed for the .21 chassis? Are there other companies that have some that are the right length?

Engine: The engine is clearly far more powerful than the .15 was. It was raining outside and with the wet road the truck would squat and move around allot but would not wheely. I am guessing it will in the dry. For some reason it wants to sputter and die at WOT, everywhere else it is responsive and runs well. I have seen allot of posts by savage owners about the same problem and they corrected it with a 2oz surge tank. Is that needed or is something just not right here?
Welcome aboard pal!! I myself just brought my Gen 1 .15 TRX maxx back into commission also!! I totaly rebuilt it, AND went with the wider 2.5 suspension! Also added a .21

I went with a mid block .21 myself and got the conversion engine mount. I ended up getting RPM 2.5 A-arms, Tbonz 2.5 CVDs, and Lundsford 2.5 titanium turnbuckles/hinge pins.

So at a minimum to go to the wider 2.5 suspension you'll need:
A-arms, CVD's, & turnbuckles. I'd also get the nice hinge pins also.

Any CVDs that are made for a t-maxx will work with the diffs. All aftermarket diffs I've seen work with all of the cvds for us. As for your WOT sputtering I'd play with the needles. Does it happen when the truck is moving at a decent speed or off the line?

I myself went with an Xray XB8 1/8 scale buggy tank! The run times with it are awsome compared to the stock one!!
Old 10-10-2005, 03:32 PM
Hpi_mt2

Subarubrat not to ruin the thread or anything but; do you have a 99' Lamborghini Diablo VT roadster
Old 10-10-2005, 03:53 PM
subarubrat
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yep, but It is a hardtop, not a roadster. I took the Tmaxx out today since it stopped raining and although it is fast, real fast compared to stock, the thing just won't wheelie! Probably has something to do with the inability to reach or maintain full throttle. First thing I am going to do is ditch the stock tank and see what changes. The rear shaft which was plastic broke about halfway through the tank. All other shafts are metal CVD. So I am going to order up a set of widemax compatable CVDs. I still don't see any listed for the 21 conversion. The rear shaft has to be longer due to the longer chassis. So I need to do a little more looking. Also, that $*&@*ing pull start is fried! Sounds like the one way bearing is shot. The engine has less than 10 tanks through it! Anyone know of a better quality bearing that will fit? I am getting there, just have to work the bugs out.