Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

Jammin' X1 CRT or Hot Bodies Lightning Stadium Pro

Community
Search
Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum
View Poll Results: A poll
Jammin' X1 CRT
60.87%
Hot Bodies Lightning Stadium Pro
39.13%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Jammin' X1 CRT or Hot Bodies Lightning Stadium Pro

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2005, 10:38 PM
Shawnlh
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jammin' X1 CRT or Hot Bodies Lightning Stadium Pro

I'm going to purchase a truggy but I cannot decide between these two. If you have a preference can you please state why you prefer that truggy......Thanks.
Old 10-17-2005, 12:23 AM
voodoo
My Feedback: (6)

Default RE: Jammin' X1 CRT or Hot Bodies Lightning Stadium Pro

i own a lsp and love it...best handeling truck ive ever driven.....very stable in the air and on the ground.
a buddy of mine i race with just got a crt and i seen it run for the first time on saturday and must say i was really impressed its a nice truck handles as well as the lsp so really its hard to say which is better, i think you would be happy with either truck they are both good trucks
Old 10-17-2005, 07:10 AM
pdq 5oh

I looked at the new LSP chassis that's out. Very nice truggy. I'm shy of aluminum arms, though. The price is very good, about $150 less than the Jammin. I have the Jammin buggy, and am completely pleased with it. My Jammin truggy should be here tomorrow or Wed. I decided on the Jammin based on my positive experience with the buggy, and my feelings re: aluminum arms. I'm sure either truggy is way beyong my driving skills.
Old 10-17-2005, 06:11 PM
slrguy

ORIGINAL: pdq 5oh

I looked at the new LSP chassis that's out. Very nice truggy. I'm shy of aluminum arms, though. The price is very good, about $150 less than the Jammin. I have the Jammin buggy, and am completely pleased with it. My Jammin truggy should be here tomorrow or Wed. I decided on the Jammin based on my positive experience with the buggy, and my feelings re: aluminum arms. I'm sure either truggy is way beyong my driving skills.
Don't know why you should be shy about aluminum arms. I love those aluminum arms. I got tired of waiting for the new truggies to be released and got a LSP Pro in July.This is one hell of a good truck. I went to a new track Sunday and walked away with 1st in the A main ( 1st time on that track). My LSP was the talk of the track that day. The guy that runs the track also owns a hobby shop and he said my LSP run was sure to cause him a bunch of orders. Even he decided to get one. Here's a video from about a month ago:
[link=http://www.digerati-imaging.com/rc/videos/stadiumpro_komodo_lp_3.wmv]Link to video[/link]. I'm running a Werks Picco .27, Komodo Dragon Low Profile Tires, 15t cb, aluminum clutch.
Anyone serious about racing a LSP should get the new LSP-R which doesn't come with a radio or engine. Mine (Pro-R)came with a junk radio and OFNA .26. I immediately remove both and put in my own radio and Werks Picco .27. This thing is now one bad machine.
There are 3 versions of the Stadium Pro: the Pro-R which is race ready with some nice upgrades but without radio or engine, the Pro which comes with aluminum arms hardened diff gears, 7075 steering knuckles, radio and .26 engine and the RR which is a basher truck. Stay away from the RR if you are every going to race. The RR is the cheapest. I've seen it on ebay for about $419. I paid $520 for my Pro-R but sold the engine for $100.
If you want details, go to www.hotbodiesonline.net.
BTW, I also own a Jammin buggy with Novarossi 421B and love it. I just think the Hot Bodies Stadium Pro truggy is going to be hard to beat if set up correctly.
Old 10-17-2005, 06:22 PM
pdq 5oh

Bent aluminum arms are expensive to replace. At times, the arms also break bulkheads. The plastic arms will give, and usually don't break attaching points on the truck or buggy.
Old 10-17-2005, 08:46 PM
slrguy

Bent aluminum arms are expensive to replace. At times, the arms also break bulkheads. The plastic arms will give, and usually don't break attaching points on the truck or buggy.
Never seen any bent aluminum arms or bulkheads on the lsp. I've flipped mine end over end and cartwheeled it many times. No bent arms. That's why they're there. The plastic (inexpensive) stuff will go before the arms ever do. The plastic arms are no good for racing. They bend and give like butter.
Old 10-17-2005, 10:03 PM
pdq 5oh

slrguy:
"The plastic arms are no good for racing. They bend and give like butter."
Tell that to everyone that races 1/8 buggies. Or monster trucks. Or the guys racing for Team Jammin with the CTRs. To say plastic arms are no good for racing is completely off base. I wouldn't say they "bend and give like butter", either. And they are much lighter. Un-sprung weight to boot, which is where light weight is most important. I'm not saying aluminum arms are bad. I just don't want them on my truggy. And they do bend. I've seen them bend.
Old 10-17-2005, 10:19 PM
voodoo

slrguy:
Tell that to everyone that races 1/8 buggies. Or monster trucks. Or the guys racing for Team Jammin with the CTRs. To say plastic arms are no good for racing is completely off base. I wouldn't say they "bend and give like butter", either. And they are much lighter. Un-sprung weight to boot, which is where light weight is most important. I'm not saying aluminum arms are bad. I just don't want them on my truggy. And they do bend. I've seen them bend.

actually the plastic arms do bend and give like butter just look at how much flex is in the plastic arms

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71986.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	191.3 KB
ID:	340602   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lh18449.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	180.8 KB
ID:	340603  
Old 10-17-2005, 11:00 PM
hybridstone

can you say bent cvd?
Old 10-18-2005, 05:35 AM
pdq 5oh

ORIGINAL: voodoo

slrguy:

actually the plastic arms do bend and give like butter just look at how much flex is in the plastic arms

Yes, and they return to shape (aluminum sure doesn‘t). Bend and give like butter is a bit of an exaggeration. But whatever, keep your aluminum arms. I don't want them.
Old 10-18-2005, 12:49 PM
slrguy

[/quote]
Yes, and they return to shape (aluminum sure doesn‘t). Bend and give like butter is a bit of an exaggeration. But whatever, keep your aluminum arms. I don't want them.

[/quote]

You don't know what your talking about when it comes to the lsp and aluminum arms (since you don't own one). Bending like butter is NO exaggeration when it comes to the lsp (the arms are long). When the plastic arms bend on the lsp, as when you land from a big jump or cartwheel due to a bad landing, the arms bend and all kinds of nasty things happen like bending or breaking front cvd's and c-hubs. This is due to the length of the arms. The plastic arms just can't take the abuse of all out racing. The aluminum arms just don't bend or break on the lsp (that's why Hot Bodies released a Pro version for racers with upgrades like aluminum arms). Maybe aluminum arms on other trucks bend but they sure don't on the lsp. You shouldn't be so free to give out advice (bad at that) on a truck you don't own.
I race the lsp every week. There are NO problems caused by aluminum arms. In fact, alum. arms are a HUGE plus!
You can argue all you want against aluminum arms (bet you've never owned any). But, on the lsp, it's the only way to go.

For those looking for good advice, please pay attention to those that actually own the vehicles. There's lots of advice thrown around these forums. Much of it comes from those who have no experience with the subject but have simply heard from someone else who heard from someone else. Pay no attention. Go with those who know.
Old 10-18-2005, 04:08 PM
pdq 5oh

You're right, I don't own one. Do you own a different truggy with plastic arms? Your reference to plastic arms is very general. I suspect given poor durability from LSP plastic arms. Not all plastic arms are made of the same material. Did you ever consider the LSP plastic arms may be inferior to other plastic arms. Really not sure why you're taking this so personally. I don't happen to care for aluminum arms, not picking on your beloved LSP. Just don't take it personally when you get smoked by a truggy with plastic arms.
Old 10-18-2005, 04:41 PM
slrguy

You're right, I don't own one. Do you own a different truggy with plastic arms? Your reference to plastic arms is very general. I suspect given poor durability from LSP plastic arms. Not all plastic arms are made of the same material. Did you ever consider the LSP plastic arms may be inferior to other plastic arms. Really not sure why you're taking this so personally. I don't happen to care for aluminum arms, not picking on your beloved LSP. Just don't take it personally when you get smoked by a truggy with plastic arms.
All of my posts have been specific to the lsp. Your posts about aluminum arms are baseless. The lsp has the longest arms on the market. The longer the arms the more they will flex. The lsp plastic consists of the same plastic as other kits on the market (more baseless assumptions on your part about inferior matierials). I've raced and beatin Sportwerks, Mugen, OFNA and home built truggies so bring it on! I suspect that even Jay Halsey would win with the lsp! But then he'd be fired by Jammin LOL.
If you're ever in the Southeast, bring on your truggy and we'll do a "Mano de Mano". Looking forward to it!
You'd best be advised to keep your posts to things you actually know about instead of baseless assumptions.
Old 10-18-2005, 05:47 PM
Desert Racer
My Feedback: (5)

My bro has a lsp pro he loves the thing he is getting a motor for it in a week. I have a mammoth st before you go bad mouthing it which you probably will do. It is a great truck cheap and fast and the mods you are going to do to it you are going to do with differnet truggy as well a center diff meatl and good servso. It comes witha 24.7 which rips and mine is a great solid truck.
Old 10-18-2005, 09:54 PM
voodoo

well like i said either truck will do you just fine they both have there good and bad points im sure you'll be happy with either truck.

as far as plastic and aluminum arms.....same thing both have there good and bad points doesnt really matter.....ya wreck hard enough somethings gonna break.....
Old 10-18-2005, 11:28 PM
Making2MuchMoney

i think people that have drove both the truggies should post here
Old 10-18-2005, 11:29 PM
Shawnlh
My Feedback: (-1)

ORIGINAL: Making2MuchMoney

i think people that have drove both the truggies should post here
Dam good idea
Old 10-19-2005, 01:21 AM
michelob78

Ok i have cleaned this thread up. Please keep on topic
Old 10-19-2005, 02:49 PM
Volfy
My Feedback: (23)

The pics in your post #8 illustrate very nicely the ability of the plastic arms to flex. I would argue that whether the "flex" is good or bad is debatable.

I'm sure you're right that if you place the same bending stress shown in your photos on an aluminum arm, there will be very little deflection compared to the plastic ones. If what you're simulating is an hard impact following a big jump, then the non-yielding aluminum arm will transfer ALL the impact force to the shocks and subsequently onto the chassis. The result is often bent shock shafts or broken towers, of which I have seen plenty. The flexy plastic arm OTOH, absorbs some of the impact force and dissipates the energy relatively more gradually upon rebound.

As there are no free lunch in vehicle design, or any form of engineering in general, the disadvantages of this flexing is distorted suspension geometry. Depending on what you value more - survivability or absolute rigidity - either one of the two schools of thought will seem the better compromise.

The increased mass of the aluminum arm also increases unsprung weight, which is regarded as a bad thing in every ground vehicle design textbook I have ever come across. You can justify it as a necessary evil to achieve other design criteria, but unspring weight should always be minimized as much as possible.
Old 10-19-2005, 06:54 PM
pdq 5oh

Volfy, all of what you say is correct. You mentioned un-sprung weight, as did I. This is something few people think about, much less understand.

I base my above comments on experience with aluminum arms. Not on the LSP directly, but other vehicles. I've yet to see a Revo (arguably the best race monster truck), 1/8 buggy, or 1/10 stadium truck with aluminum arms at the race tracks around me. This is not to say the LSP, with aluminum arms, is a bad truggy. I actually said I thought it was a nice looking truggy, and it is. I just don't care for aluminum arms. My personal felling re: A arms. Given my good experience with the Jammin buggy, and the Jammin truggy sporting plastic A arms, I prefer the Jammin to the LSP. It's really nothing personal. There aren't many people that are good enough drivers that either of these truggies won't be more than enough to win with. Someone mentioned even Jay Halsey could win with an LSP. I suppose he could.
Old 10-19-2005, 07:43 PM
voodoo

ORIGINAL: Volfy

The pics in your post #8 illustrate very nicely the ability of the plastic arms to flex. I would argue that whether the "flex" is good or bad is debatable.

I'm sure you're right that if you place the same bending stress shown in your photos on an aluminum arm, there will be very little deflection compared to the plastic ones. If what you're simulating is an hard impact following a big jump, then the non-yielding aluminum arm will transfer ALL the impact force to the shocks and subsequently onto the chassis. The result is often bent shock shafts or broken towers, of which I have seen plenty. The flexy plastic arm OTOH, absorbs some of the impact force and dissipates the energy relatively more gradually upon rebound.

As there are no free lunch in vehicle design, or any form of engineering in general, the disadvantages of this flexing is distorted suspension geometry. Depending on what you value more - survivability or absolute rigidity - either one of the two schools of thought will seem the better compromise.

The increased mass of the aluminum arm also increases unsprung weight, which is regarded as a bad thing in every ground vehicle design textbook I have ever come across. You can justify it as a necessary evil to achieve other design criteria, but unspring weight should always be minimized as much as possible.

i dont disagree with anything your saying because what you say is true.....the problem with the plastic arms on the lighting stadium rr is they flex to much causing bent cvds and other parts breaking, where as the aluminum arms prevent this from occuring however in a bad crash you can break the hinge pin holder diff case and bend the hinge pins.....which ive done twice this year racing but both cases were real bad impacts.....when it comes to the truggies i really dont beleive its gonna matter what kind of arms the trucks have because like i said if you have a bad enough crash your gonna break something lol
if you look close at the pics you'll notice the place the arms bend is at the shock mounting location, with shorter arms this wouldnt be an issue like on a monster truck....what some people have noted is the plastic arms work better with a smoother track that doesnt have big jumps and the aluminum arms work better for the rougher tracks and bigger jumps. ive never seen any bend or break an aluminum arm on an lsp, ive also never seen anyone break a plastic arm either. like i said they both have there good and bad points

Old 10-19-2005, 09:14 PM
Texdav

If you listen to the guys that race them the Hot bodes pro handles much better than the plastic armed RTR version but still many of the aluminum parts are of pretty poor quality.Tye jammin nproduction version is said to handle much better than the prototype version according to guys that have driven both. mThe TTR truck has just won it's first big race but is really an unknown at this time. One thinbg it has going for it is that Saxton had alot of input into design unlike the S3 buggy that was already designed before hejoin TTR.Also Chad bradley left Mugen for JUammin ;so it will win alot of races I am sure. Gorsch who probably has won more big races with the Hot Bodies is also now with jammin.If it wee me: I go with the Jammin over the Hot bodies just becuase of better quality and better supoport.
Old 10-20-2005, 10:47 AM
Volfy

the problem with the plastic arms on the lighting stadium rr is they flex to much causing bent cvds and other parts breaking, where as the aluminum arms prevent this from occuring however in a bad crash you can break the hinge pin holder diff case and bend the hinge pins...
This true. I just bought an Ofna Blazer SST and I've already read that it likes to break front CVAs. You can certainly blame it on the flexy plastic arms, but when I take a closer look at the front suspension, I see that the dogbone end of the CVA sits within 1mm of the inside end of the slots. No wonder the CVA breaks on even moderate impact! The CVA length was not set up correctly to allow for the normal flexing of the plastic a-arm. Therefore, it is a design flaw with poorly matched CVA length. Pure and simple.

OTOH, I'm also putting together an Ofna 9.5 Pro buggy kit, which is very closely related to the Blazer. Almost identical except the Blazer shares the 330mm Ofna Violator arms and Kingpin suspension, whereas the 9.5 Pro has shorter arms and C-hub. The 9.5 Pro's front CVA's dogbones sit towards the outside of the cup, which is where they should be. Upon a hard impact, the dogbone has some 7-8mm of travel before hitting the end of the slots. The plastic a-arm is allowed to flex and absorb impact energy, and the design works great.

This is not to say that aluminum arms don't work well. They do. The fact is when the entire suspesion system is designed properly, plastic a-arms works very well at lower weight and far lower cost than CNC aluminum arms. I would rather use the money saved on other upgrades.

Back on topic... I would prefer the Jammin' because of the above reason and the fact that I own two Ofna vehicles already. I did consider buying the the CRT Pro kit, but finally decided that since I only bash, buying a 9.5 Pro kit and a Blazer for almost the same price works better for me. I had also considered the GS Racing SUT CE, which is comparable to the two mentioned and worth a look.
Old 10-20-2005, 11:12 AM
Volfy

pdq 5oh, agreed on the unsprung weight. With MT being so popular, folks tend not to think too much about it. Afterall, when the truck already sports freakin' huge wheels and tires, what's a little more weight on the a-arm? Better beef up the A-arm to take the punishment and add a little bling-bling in the process - has been the convertional wisdom. Thus the overwhelming popularity of CNC a-arms anodized to a gazilion different colors. Companies forget how to design an aluminum arm properly - eccentuating the positive properties (strength) while minimizing the negatives (weight) - because, frankly, their customer don't care. It's easy to design something to be strong. It takes proper engineering to design it to be just strong enough.

With the increasing popularity of truggies (specifically designed for MT racing), however, I think we will begin to see the pendulum start to swing back toward lightweight race-oriented designs. Maybe the LSP is the first of the kind. I don't own one, so I cannot say. I would certainly hope so.

I also agree that none of these discussions should be taken personal.
Old 10-28-2005, 02:05 PM
JEFFRO503
My Feedback: (9)

Just to clarify a couple things on this "Plastic" versus "aluminum" arm's thing. I know some people prefer the plastic arm (most do) , but just so you know , there are FACTORY racer's out there , that believe the aluminum arm's have more benifit's than the plastic counter parts. BOTH Marty korn and Jeff Guest which run for factory GS and run the GS Pro SE , have the "Native racing" aluminum suspension kit under them , and they swear by how much better the truck preforms and holds up compared to running the plastic arms.

I know this isn't true on all trucks , like what was stated up above , not ALL plastic is made the same. Therefore , it all depends on what you drive , and unless YOU HAVE OWNED one of the rigs your talking about , there is no use in trying to bash someone for using aluminum arms. I myself run a converted KANAI 3 Truggy with the same suspension kit as Marty and jeff and i have NO problem what so ever with durability.

I have never owned an HB LSP , but have seen them driven tons of times and have freinds who own them , and they are a really TOUGH and COMPETITIVE truggy for sure! The best off the shelf truggy ever built as far as i'm concerned.

JEFFRO503
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv65292.jpg
Views:	801
Size:	107.9 KB
ID:	345360   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je99729.jpg
Views:	363
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	345361  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.