Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

Hey Dirt Burners Guys! Can I Have Some Advice???

Community
Search
Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Hey Dirt Burners Guys! Can I Have Some Advice???

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2005, 07:46 PM
FE_Chris
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hey Dirt Burners Guys! Can I Have Some Advice???

Hey fellas! I'm Chris, 22 from Grand Blanc. I work full time for a contractor, i'm not gay and I don't murder people, most would say I'm pretty a normal guy Anyway I have been wanting to come to the track and start racing, but I have shyed away from it mostly because I don't really think the genesis I have is track worthy. BUT I have just recently sold some things on ebay, and I have about 500 bucks cash to blow on anything I want. It's just extra money to me because everything I sold was just stuff that I did'nt use. So I want a MT to race with, this brings me to my question.

So what I was wanting to know, is if maybe some of you guys can reccomend something to me for dirtburners. The reason I ask you guys, is that I am still pretty new to this whole thing, and a total newb to RC racing, and I don't wanna be stuck with the only guy driving a Mayhem ST or something. And o yeah, I'm talking about 1/8 scale MT. Because I am still new, I would like to be able to have a ride that some of you guys have. I was hoping to maybe make some friends at the track or something a long those lines. I don;t really know anyone in RC, so it's kinda tough finding people to bash with. and it would be cool to have someone to know what was going on incase of trouble. I have blown wrecked 2 nitro engines from inexperiance :-)

So what do you guys got? I am not asking for the "Best MT" like most people do, I just want something fast, fun and track worthy. I was looking at the CEN Nemesis, but I would like to have my racing MT broke-in and ready to run before snow starts to fall here in michigan. Thanks for any help guys, I appreciate it, i'm hoping to add one more to the nitro 1/8 scale MT class.

EDIT: I was thinking I might list a few that I have been checking out.

#1: Mayhem ST - Riders on corunna rd has this for 455$ out the door. Looks nice, and fast. seems to be a good price too...

#2: Mammoth ST - Tower has this for 350$ shipped to my front door. I like it too, looks almost more race ready than the Mayhem ST.

Old 10-30-2005, 08:16 PM
binaryterror

Default RE: Hey Dirt Burners Guys! Can I Have Some Advice???

The truck that does the best are the Revo...hands down. I personally turned in 17.9mph average which would place me in the Buggy main easily.
Old 10-30-2005, 10:46 PM
elite

Yooooooo!

I have been eyen the mayhem st for a bit now also! Its a short chassis truggy and could do real well at DBS but, it is a truggy and there is a possibility that they may eventually spit classes. If that werethe case youd be running with other truggys ONLY - vs MTs and truggys (which is how it stands now) so you may want to figure out that 1st.....truggy or MT.

Now - onto the fact that you have a genesis - they have the nemesis comin out - 2sp and their 50 series tires. Id think why not try running your genesis out there? Its big, maybe 2 big but why not it steers tight and flys well. Just a though.

If you get a MT, revos like BT said do real well and parts support = top notch. Thermal has a tnx thats awesome but parts are harder to get. LSTs have good support and with the lst2 comin out I bet it will be even more competitive and fun and parts are pretty easy to get. Warhead may come out sometime this freakin lifetime LOL, there are a few good options but for racing just post what you like and well go from there.

Mammy is nice - BT has one buts its long - not optimal for dirt burners. Its the size of an LST which some racers had and its just, long for a short track.

Good luck - get racing - MT class is growing - kickin arssss

Old 10-30-2005, 10:51 PM
binaryterror

ORIGINAL: elite

Mammy is nice - BT has one buts its long - not optimal for dirt burners. Its the size of an LST which some racers had and its just, long for a short track.
I guess that means its time to bring it out and show you up with it? LOL
Old 10-30-2005, 10:55 PM
ThermalRD

Doda, come out and introduce yourself. You'll know me by my TNX. Im the only guy running one there. Unless Tamiyakid shows up. Like these fellas mentioned, we are a growing class. And a great group of guys. Anybody that needs help, i'll help them. Setup, tuning, anything. As for the truck, i cant recommend anything more than a Revo. It finishes races more often than anything else, and the availability of parts is second to none. I know i've been accused of having an un-natural love for the Revo, but its hands down the best truck i've run. If you want something bigger than a Revo, im gonna reccomend the LST, or LST2. Again, parts availability is key here. The LST is a big truck, that will race side by side with anything, given the right driver. But that LST2 is coming soon! So you'll be waiting til December. Ask any questions you have man. Hang out with us anytime you want. You know where to find us come Sunday at 10am!
Old 10-30-2005, 10:58 PM
elite

your an idiot man LOL...you know the revo is MORE fit - thats all I was trying to point out. You are fast jake bla bla bla you ran well, wel ALLLL KNOW AND NEVER STOP HEARING ABOUT IT LOL....

ORIGINAL: binaryterror

I guess that means its time to bring it out and show you up with it? LOL
Old 10-30-2005, 11:30 PM
FE_Chris

Wow. Thanks for all the replys!!! I have looked at the revo, but for some reason, I have a hard time buying anything Traxxas. I really like the Mammoth ST, but now that I here it is not the best for the track I wanna race at...I'll have to think about it. The Mayhem ST looks REAL nice. I was eyeing it out of the box with the counter guy bill at riders, he's the one I baught my genesis from, real good guy. The Mayhem ST Seems to be really well built, fast and have a great engine. Radio is a step up for a RTR too. The only thing that kills me, is having to buy new tires as soon as I get the darn thing. Hobbytown is open tomorrow so I think I am going to go look in there before I buy at riders.

I don't really care what class I run, I just wanna race the truck!!!

I also looked at the nemesis from CEN, but like you said, the truck is not going be out till around christmas. I don't wanna wait, just like in computers, you could end up waiting years if you wanted!!! something better is always around the corner! The genesis I have might be able to be raced a bit. MIGHT. But she is REALLY heavy. REALLY HEAVY. The funny thing is, it corners WAY better than my savage ever did, and turns sharper too. It does not roll NEAR AS MUCH as the savage when bashing it. But hey, what the heck, I suppose we could all get a good laugh from the Genny bouncing around the track trying to compete!!!

Thanks for the invite thermal, you guys all seem real cool. I am going to have to come up there soon and hang out. I have to warn you though, I don't even know how the race is started or anything lol. I appreciate the hospitality. I don't know what truck I am going to buy, but I am going to buy it soon. So plan on seeing me. Thanks again. And if anyone else wants to give me your two cents, then please chime in. Later guys.
Old 10-30-2005, 11:37 PM
elite

Take off the 2 shocks - get some of the 55 (not 50 sorry) series tires they make for it and call it a day. See what you like, enjoy what you have and if the genesis is race worthy which it can be - get the 2sp tranny and your close to the nemesis weight id guess. Thats my 2 cents - but if you get the mayhem I get to drive it LOL - Ive been wanting to test one forever! Either way you go - plan on getting some sorta track tires - anything stock usually is more for all around driving and wont hook up well.

CEN sniper...

Old 10-31-2005, 12:03 AM
FE_Chris

Cen sniper....lol...well I have to go to bed, work in the morning. Could you explain why I should take the top shocks off? I thaught they helped the handling. All 10 I have are integy ajustable aluminum. I was looking and they have a version of the Mayhem ST with a Spektrum radio system. It looks real nice....But I have to make the decision of spending the extra 125 bucks or so for it over the stock computerized AM JR XR2, so hmmm....Guess I'll check hobby town tomorrow and see what they have, I know they stock Sportwerks stuff. Plus I got a 20$ gift cert form their in the mail the other day Maybe i'll just whip out the plastic and go all out with the spektrum and some wheels, tires and servo right off the bat. I'll keep you posted.

Take off the 2 shocks - get some of the 55 (not 50 sorry) series tires they make for it and call it a day. See what you like, enjoy what you have and if the genesis is race worthy which it can be - get the 2sp tranny and your close to the nemesis weight id guess. Thats my 2 cents - but if you get the mayhem I get to drive it LOL - Ive been wanting to test one forever! Either way you go - plan on getting some sorta track tires - anything stock usually is more for all around driving and wont hook up well.

CEN sniper...

Old 10-31-2005, 12:10 AM
ThermalRD

Keep in mind, if you buy that mammoth ST, you'll need the center diff option right away. With the stock 2-speed, you can expect that long truck to turn like a semi. So if you get it, grab that center diff option, then hit up Binary for a setup on it.
Old 10-31-2005, 12:10 AM
elite

PM me I may be able to get you a way better deal on the spektrum mayhem st....

Old 10-31-2005, 07:23 AM
FE_Chris

You guys are great!! Elite, thanks for the PM, i'll post here tonght to let you guys know what the deal is with my order from DB's (and what exactly I ordered, I got the RC bug now!!!)

-Chris
Old 10-31-2005, 09:18 AM
binaryterror

Jeez I guess i hit elite too hard...

Man I'm just saying the ST can do it, though in all honesty, not even i would recommend it for DB's.
Old 10-31-2005, 09:06 PM
FE_Chris

HEY FELLAS!!! Well, I called bill at DB's RC on my lunch break today and he seemed real cool. I went in around 6pm tonight and ordered a Mayhem ST RTR W/ Specktrum Radio (to be here thurs), and i walked out with 4 new proline bow ties 40 series, 40 series white dishes, Tx nimh charger, and a hitech HS-645MG (133 inch-oz) servo. All in all I spent 686$. Aside from getting the truck at a great deal, he did'nt give me a price break on anything. But when I was looking in the showcases, I could tell they don;t try to rape people. They are VERY competitively priced. Plus, I did'nt ask. The prices where already great, and the truck would have cost me atleast 50$ more all in all to order online. WOW, I am excited. I hope I have everything I need to get out on the track. I am thinking I may not be able to have it ready by sunday (with engine breakin and all). But I was thinking I could bring the Genesis sunday and flop that thing around the track, just to get the feel for track racing. But I also don't wanna be a nusence to people trying to race (like reading about another guy in one of the DB post's about driving over one of you guys during a heat!). SO let me know if thats cool The Mayhem Looks bad. Bill said it's still pretty new, only a couple or few months old. Elite, your the man! Thanks for the hook-up dude!! Good lookin out!! And thanks to everyone else for your help also. Write me back fellas and let me know whats going on with racing sunday. I'd like to come out and jump the Genny round the track with ya!!! or even just to hang out and watch. I bet I would learn tons hanging round the track. Anyway, I jumping off here for some dinner. Talk to you guys later i'm sure.
Old 10-31-2005, 09:24 PM
-Fast-Eddie

get it broke in and bring it out!!
Old 10-31-2005, 09:26 PM
elite

Sounds like a plan man......youll prob want to run the ST to get used to the track but between heats im sure people would love to see the genesis run a few laps - maybe run 1 qualifier with it hehe

No prob on the hookup...bills awesome, the who team there is good.

Lookin forward to having another new racer around!

I think a few of us MAY get up there friday for practice - not sure though.

LATA!
Old 10-31-2005, 09:37 PM
-Fast-Eddie

i will be up there friday,, and maybe thursday as well
Old 10-31-2005, 11:06 PM
FE_Chris

I'm looking forward to coming out too!!!! Looks sweet!!! But I do have a question tho. I plan on running 20% nitro /14% oil fuel. I was wondering if you guys could reccomend a glow plug for me. I use McCoy MC-59's in my NTC3, and Genesis. Can I use them in this sportwerks engine? The reason I ask is because I was going to stop into HobbyTown and use up this 20$ gift cert I have. Other than that, I think I have the minimum that I need to be slighly competitive and have a good time. BTW. What fuel do you guys run, too? Later!!!
Old 10-31-2005, 11:13 PM
elite

most of us run odonell - I run 20% the BETTER guys run 30% hehe.

Mc59s are hot, good for a tc3 or other small blocks like .15s or .18s but I dont think you need that hot for a big block like the sportwerks .26. When u go in to use your gift cert tell them your running a .26 and theyll know what yo give ya....I think in McCoy you may want to run a MC9 its med-hot and MC8 is Cold....someone chime in whats good for a .26?
Old 10-31-2005, 11:14 PM
FE_Chris

O and the main reason I was saying I don't think the Mayhem ST is going to be ready is because I always here that your supposed to take out the drive train and all that and lock-tite everything that goes from metal to metal. I always lock-tite engine screws and such. But I never messed with anything else really unless I had a problem. What do you guys think? Take my time and tear it down? Or run it till something come loose!!! Now that I think about it, I'll prolly just run it till something falls off, but that would suck at the track...I dunno....any thaughts??????
Old 10-31-2005, 11:15 PM
FE_Chris

Damn elite, yer quick on the follow up posts!!! Thanks dude!!!
Old 11-01-2005, 09:37 AM
binaryterror

Nah bring the Mayhem ST out...break it in and do a quick check of the set screws and such, shouldn't take too long (depending on your free time schedule obviously).

The Mayhem is a good truck...should do a LOT better than the Genesis could for sure.

My best tip for a new guy: Go slow, seriously if you put around the track at the best you can do without a lot of crashes and move for the fast guys, you will do well. Then everytime you are out push a little harder, eventually you'll be making us all look bad!

Thermal, elite, and I are all nice, so you need help or advice we all will gladly help. Always good to see a new face ready to run.

For a SportWerks engine running 20% I personally would recommend using an OS #8 plug, but a McCoy MC9 is good too.
Old 11-01-2005, 10:05 AM
ThermalRD

Congrats! on the new ride! Should be a great truck for that track, or any other. Use a med-hot plug for that motor at DB's during the winter. Hope to see you there Sunday! Good job fellas. We keep up this pace, and we will flood that place with MT's!
Old 11-01-2005, 12:20 PM
elite

DodamissC -

bring the st if its broken in.....just locktite a little here and a little there during breaks, there is plenty of time. if you come at 10am you can spend time them also but just do the motor mount and a few important things and call it a day LOL..

did u order extra knuckles...thats the only thing that i saw breaking.......just though id mention that....cant wait to c it in action!
Old 11-01-2005, 11:00 PM
FE_Chris

Hey fellas....well I just got done putting the genesis back together. I removed the engine and replaced the 17t pinon gear (1st) and sealed the backplate and carb up with some RTV. She's running good now. I am sure I had an air leak because the last time I ran it, the engine started to reach 300F so I shut it off.....wierd. I started it in my garage tonight and ran it for 5 mins, with blip's of throttle and lots of idle. It did'nt get above 150F which seems right for this engine. (They take FOREVER to warm up lol). Seems all is good with the genesis.

So anyway I was thinking today at work that when I come to get the Mayhem on Thursday, I would practice with the genny for a bit. I see that the track is open till 8pm. That would give me maybe an hour or so to check the track out. (I will not be able to leave work til 5:30 or later, and it takes 45 mins to get there from ortonville, then I have to unload, setup, etc....). So I hope my truck holds out!!! I'm geaked about racing the track for sure!!!

I'm gonna take your guys advice and just pop the box, lock-tite the essentials, put my bow-ties on, charge the batts and break her in and GO!!! So I am SURE I will be to DB's on sunday. If anything just to hang out and BS with you guys. But if all goes well, sunday will be my first "race". How sweet is that!!!

I picked up some plugs. I got 2 MC-59's and 2 MC-8's. I figured that with 20% fuel, Hot and Med-Hot would cover me for plugs. Plus it used up that gift cert I had, so they where free.

I did'nt order any extra parts for the mayhem when I purchased it. I was not able to get to this post before I went and put my money down, so I had no idea. But I will take care of that thursday or hobbytown just got a box of sportwerks parts in, so I think they have me covered. Anyway, I'm hittin the sheets for now, have to be up early. See you guys maybe thurs and sunday for sure!!! Holler back! Later!

PS- Are any of you planning on coming thursday evening still? Let me know!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.