Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Anyone own a Warhead?

Old 01-09-2006, 04:42 PM
spacoli

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Anyone own a Warhead

Bill I was thinking the same, I have not had any trouble with mine, other than when it was being near flooded. Then I notice the difference in force needed and stop to clear the fuel from the cylinder. I hope I don't break mine I don't have a back up starting source.

Air leak seems fixed just with new o-rings, other parts will be in later this week. I hope to see a difference in engine performance and stable temps. with the air leak fixed. I think it was a bad leak because I thought I could feel air on my face while blowing into the engine.

I'm also hoping my buzzing sound disappears, once I reassemble the truck. Not sure of the cause of that, but Durtrax said that......

"possibly be that some debris is caught in the gears or behind the clutch bell.
Or possibly one of your engine screws may have vibrated loose (engine
head screws, engine mounting screws, etc.)"
Old 01-09-2006, 06:06 PM
FE_Chris
My Feedback: (2)

What plugs are you guys running? I replaced the duratrax gold (medium) with a mc-8 medium. Seems to run fine.

The only part I cannot keep on this thing is the left side steering bell crank (left side sitting in vehicle) It just always snaps. I have had the steering servo saver ajusted tight, then it breaks, if the servo saver is loose, then I cannot steer cause it is to loose.

Also, anybody help me on how to make it turn sharper? It steers like crap. I gave it some toe-out and it seemed to make it worse.
Old 01-09-2006, 06:34 PM
spacoli

My servo saver break was the right side, that's the side the truck took the hit. You can see where the knuckle arm extension plate slamed into the a-arm.

I said in my previous post these bellcrank peices look beefy enough, I'm not sure why there breaking.

There has to be a design, flaw somewhere, I'm sure after a while someone will figure it out.

When I send in my parts for stress tech warranty replacement, I'm planning on writing up a nice note about this steering assembly being a weak link on this truck. I will ask them to look into why everone is breaking this assembly and maybe coming out with a stronger assembly.

I would suggest that everyone contacts them one way or another about this and any concerns they might have with the truck.

So far I have found them very responsive and the more prople that speak up the better.

Edit: I have some O.S. 8 Glow Plug Standard Long Medium Hot coming for mine, I hope they will be ok. Not sure?
Old 01-09-2006, 06:54 PM
bluestratos

I know I was not pulling too hard on mine...and yes, it flooded before every start, so I got used to losening the plug to start it. I just hope it gets better when I can lean it out some. The pull starter really is a piece of junk, I pulled mine offr and did a biopsy (lol). The cord did not break, the knot just pulled through the hole. Other wise the truck was great, it is running very rich so it died regularily but other wise I enjoyed it. I was surprised that it is shifting into second being this rich (its at 5 turns out right now). Obviously it does not go very fast, max speed about 20mph, so I look forward to getting it leaned up and seeing how see goes. I also think the turning radius seems to be way too wide, I was running on a asphalt parking lot which had curbs surrounding it, came too close several times when I discovered that it takes a good 10-15' to make a turn.

I ordered a bump starter and the optional hex starter so I will leave the lame pull starter for the trashbin. At least I got the opertunity to pull her apart and see how fast it breaks down.. amazing, best design for repair I have ever seen.

Best regards,
Randy
Old 01-09-2006, 06:59 PM
Bill Plude

I'm using the same plug I use in all my engines including the .21 & .26 PICCOs and my TRAXXAS trucks its the Megatech Platinum Off-Road Glow Plug(under $4) I'm still on my 1st one since I got rid of the plug that came with the truck and it's working fine.
http://www.megatech.com/product_deta...s.php?ID=16192
Old 01-09-2006, 07:14 PM
ashburg

Handling/Servo Power on the corner for my Warhead improved greatly when I got a hump pack battery pack for the car to replace the aaa battery setup (weak).

I've never had any success in starting it with the glow plug loosened. I'm running an "8".

Got a link to this "hex starter"?

Mine at 4 turns out on the 5th tank was cookin' at, I know, 30+ mph. Hit second gear too and I got all giddy hehe

??How many turns out is y'alls low speed needle? Mine is at factory 12.5 out...maybe this is a contributor to the no-start flooding I'm getting now that the motor is broken in.

Did some research today - for those that don't know, we can bolt up an OS .30 motor and get another 1/2 horses

Bump starter did not come in today...guess I'll have to update on that later...I'm afraid to pull on this crappy pull starter (which I biopsied too lol - and tried to rebuild to no avail).

Anyone know if we should be using a long glo plug or a short one?

ash
Old 01-09-2006, 08:06 PM
ynot1

For what its worth! and or call it:
My experience today!

Breaking in:
Started on the 3nd pull
ran it 3/4 tank slowly watching the temp with a guage
2nd tank leaned 1/12 watching the temp shutting it down if above 270
3nd tank leaned 1/12 same thing running better
4th tank leaned 1/12 running better watching temp shutting it down for a few minutes
if temp above 270
5-th tank looking good temp staying 250-270 shifting 2nd gear several times
I am smiling!

when all of the sudden it dies,
I check the temp 270 but something is sizzling sounding like, off and on.

doesn't seem to be the engine,
I can't tell for sure, but the temp is ok.

from then on for about two hours i am having flodding trouble
I have two blisters, one on each hand from the pull start, (no breakage though)
also added new glow plug and am loosening it.

when it does start within a few minutes its running hot 280 290
as I shut it down and richen it, & try again, its still running hot
once it finally start, I cannot richen it enough to keep it cool.

could this be the head gasket leaking problem I read about in the forum earlier?
as I do have a lot of excess oil on the bottom!
I am not to happy with the Warhead at this time!
Old 01-09-2006, 08:58 PM
Wide Open

if you take off the cooling head youll see that there are two gaskets, i took one of them off and that fixed the airleak on mine. if that doesnt work than i dont know what to tell you cause mines been flawless since then.
Old 01-09-2006, 09:26 PM
mikerc
My Feedback: (11)

Ran the first tank through tonight. Runs great, I was taking it easy just running up and down the driveway. I jump it a couple of times off of a snow bank. Last jump just before shutting it down I flipped it over and I broke the darn steering link. It is 28 out so that must have something to do with it. I had 2 extras on hand and changed it out. So far I am haveing a blast.
Old 01-09-2006, 09:56 PM
nicholsm04
My Feedback: (-1)

Sweet, ive been wanting to know about the warhead. but im also looking into a nemesis, i really like those.
Old 01-09-2006, 10:31 PM
spv1425

ynot1,

I too had a similiar issue. I heard a gurgling sound that sound like fuel boiling. Mine was in fact pretty hot 315F or so. I let it cool down completey, it was cold out, and then tried to restart, no luck. From reading, I think this may be vapor lock but I'm no nitro expert. Around that time my truck was running very hot after just a few minutes. I then richened up the low speed and things are much better now. After 7 tanks, it runs perfectly between 250-270F range like it should and it's fast too. I richened it about 3/4 a turn or so.

spv1425
Old 01-09-2006, 10:52 PM
sarroopoo

I ordered a warhead a few days ago and will be getting it here in a couple of days, after reading through the forums I have realized I need a thermometer, but im curious where do you measure the temperature at? do you point at the base of the cooling head? just curious so I don't totally screw up my engine.
Old 01-09-2006, 11:54 PM
FE_Chris

Yup, just stick the end of the temp gun (or thermometer) at the glow plug hole. You take the engine temp at the glow plug.

BTW Guys. DT tech support sucks ass. Those guys don't know anything about these trucks at all. I am totaly disapointed with them at this point. They would not even send me some new parts!!! They said use the stress tech warranty. jease, glad I got a brand new truck they will not even warranty.

So how many bell cranks have you guys gone through? I am on my 3rd now. I have 2 extra. I am thinkin I may boil them and see if that helps.
ORIGINAL: sarroopoo

I ordered a warhead a few days ago and will be getting it here in a couple of days, after reading through the forums I have realized I need a thermometer, but im curious where do you measure the temperature at? do you point at the base of the cooling head? just curious so I don't totally screw up my engine.
Old 01-10-2006, 12:19 AM
sarroopoo

All right, thanks for the tip, also might I suggest calling DT again, maybe you just got a moron, everyone else seems to be happy with the support, I do tech support for dish network and I know that what some people will or won't do depends on who you speak with. although I may be wrong, hopefully not, I look foreward to getting started on break in for my new truck, im sure it's going to break sometime, but hopefully you just got a bad tech support agent.
Old 01-10-2006, 10:50 AM
ashburg

How many turns out do you guys have your low speed needle? Mine is flooding and I suspect it may be because of the LSN being at the factory 12.5 turns out.

Bill...I'm using an OS 8 plug and I'm in moderate climate (South Carolina). If it glows bright, then it's good right? How do I know if my glow ignitor is weak?

ash
Old 01-10-2006, 12:12 PM
bluestratos

A strong ignitor will lite the glow plug bright orange and can be seen easily in bright light, if the coil is only a dull glow or hard to see in bright light it is not hot enough. I have a meter on my igniter that helps me monitor the battery strength which helps alot too. I have found that even though nicads have lower voltalge than a drycell, they can supply better current than a cheap 1 1/2 volt cell and lites the plugs much better. Just had this experience on the warhead. Could not get it started with the drycell holder and fresh battery that came with it, thought the plug looked a bit dull. Got my aircraft nicade igniter out and it started right away.

My engine floods all the time too, less often as the tank drops so I believe it is becuase the tank is higher than the carb and siphons. Next time out I will try clamping the line off between runs to see if this stops the flooding.
Old 01-10-2006, 12:27 PM
elite

dude I could use your help with my dish network acct LOL...(sorta not kidding ive talked to some serious tools there NOT YOU OF COURSE)

I agree, support is all about the person on the other end - some care alot - some punch out at 5:29 and could care less.

I had good luck - sorry some people havent but man its obvious there is a slight problem with the steering link, its an easy fix - make a metal bottom peice and call it a day

Then im sure something else will give but that and the toe link ends are the only weak things I though...otherwise its sweet....

ORIGINAL: sarroopoo

All right, thanks for the tip, also might I suggest calling DT again, maybe you just got a moron, everyone else seems to be happy with the support, I do tech support for dish network and I know that what some people will or won't do depends on who you speak with. although I may be wrong, hopefully not, I look foreward to getting started on break in for my new truck, im sure it's going to break sometime, but hopefully you just got a bad tech support agent.
Old 01-10-2006, 01:56 PM
mikerc

Well I have 7 tanks through it and 3 broken servo savers. I had 2 extra that I baught. Now I am upset. (can't run the truck) Each time they have broke it has been a mild flip. Either it is just too cold (35 degrees) or just a crappy part. I just ordered 4 sets from tower and am going to call Duratracks. I also have the black flakes around the clutch area. Has to be the clutch.

On another note: The engine is running awesome. Tons of power. Still a little rich, but it is shifting nice.
Old 01-10-2006, 02:10 PM
ashburg

Mike...I don't think those black flakes are the clutch, I think they are from the spur gear. Check out "woody's" response towards the bottom of this thread: http://forums.radiocontrolzone.com/s...81#post1938381

This truck has lots of problems that DTX needs to address quick before they get a bad rep [:@]

ash
Old 01-10-2006, 02:48 PM
mikerc

I just sent duratrax an email with pictures. We shall see how they respond.

Thanks for the info in the spur gear.
Old 01-10-2006, 04:09 PM
spacoli

I had a bunch of flakes built up on the chassis of mine. My last post was about the build up of flakes on the chassis around the clutch bell.

I have 7 tanks run through mine and my spur gear looks good. I do think some flakes came off the spur gear, but from the amount of flakes I had and from the looks of my spur gear, I don't beleive it was all the spur gear in my case anyway. My spur gear mesh seemed fine from the begining.

Look at the spur pictures, you guys be the judge, I'm new so maybe I'm missing something and it is worn.

I included the picture from the previous post with the clutch bell and the flakes right outside of it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wt58924.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	384991   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc91839.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	384992   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pv53111.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	384993   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jd88165.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	384994   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dp83675.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	384995   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94217.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	384996  
Old 01-10-2006, 04:11 PM
WeekendRC

I've been getting the same black flakes, I did not notice them till about the third tank. I think it is the clutch because of the position of the flakes. It seems they are coming out of clutch bell. (i have a line of debree along the chassis that is in line with the back of the bell)

Does any one know of a trick for getting to the idle stop screw without taking the tank out? I can't seem to get the right angle.

In reference to the "aaa" batery pack above. I don't know about the rest of you but mine came with a "AA" battery holder. 1.5v X 4 = 6v. A 5 cell hump pack is 6v. There will be no performance difference. If you use rechargable "AA" batteries @ 1.2v you will see some decrease in servo speed and power.

The only thing that losening the glow plug does is make it easier to turn over. Its like a manuel choke. If you plug is bad it will not help any. I've used this methond on all of my engines when they are new. I feel it works great. Thats probably why I have not broken my pull start yet .

(NO BROKEN PARTS YET! 45-50 degrees and no rolls yet)
Old 01-10-2006, 04:12 PM
ynot1

In trying to give it another shot today,
I broke the pull starter. []

Did you have to remove the engine to change it out?
and if so did you remove it from the top or bottom?
Old 01-10-2006, 04:22 PM
ashburg

yNot...yes, you have to pull the motor...from above...do not have to remove the fuel tank...I've done this 3 times now [:@]. It all just bolts back up and you don't have to line anything up.

The tricky part is that spring that holds the muffler on.

...also...I meant AA batteries in that earlier post

Still waiting on my bump starter from this ebay dude...I gave up on the pull start.

Are you guys running your hi speed needle about 4 turns out and low about 12 turns out?

ash
Old 01-10-2006, 06:46 PM
ashburg

guys...what causes a bog at full throttle and run-on at idle and low speed? Does this mean that the hi speed needle is too rich and the low speed is too lean?

ash

ps: oh, I finally got it cranked back up

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.