Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

Hpi Savage 21 Review TRANNY PROBLEM FOUND!!

Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Hpi Savage 21 Review TRANNY PROBLEM FOUND!!

Old 11-19-2002, 03:45 AM
crash and burn
My Feedback: (19)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hpi Savage 21 Review TRANNY PROBLEM FOUND!!

PLEASE READ ON DOWN THE POST LIST, I FOUND A PROBLEM THAT YOU MUST FIX OR IT WILL CAUSE YOU GREIF!! IT CONCERNS THETRANNY SET SCREW BACKING OUT AND NOT ALLOWING TRANNY TO SHIFT TO SECOND GEAR!!

Ok, today I was at Abernathy's Northwest Hobbies in Bellevue, WA and picked up my Savage 21.

I am going to try and give an objective review as I begin the break-in process on the truck.

I also own the new 2.5 Tmaxx which is an incredible truck with power that goes on forever!!

Now to the Savage.

Out of the box, the tires are glued and the body has graphics already applied. Personally, the body is a little too flimsy for me so I plan to use the Proline CJ8 body in it's place.

I elected to install a Futaba switch with charge jack and a 1100mah Nimh battery instead of the double A setup. I love the 6 volt power and long runtime.

The hatch that covers the Rx and battery is nice, but a little tough to get on and off if you want to change RX crystals. But, it will do a great job of protecting the Radio gear!!

One thing that bugs me is the fact that the RX antenna is about 42" long! That means you have tons of extra antenna wire sticking out of the plastic tube. I ended up wrapping the wire around the tube and slipping some fuel tubing over it to keep it in position. I will change to FM soon anyway.

The shock springs are pretty weak. They come with one preload spacer and I added another of the larger size spacers to them to help give a little stiffer ride. Mostly for jumping (when that finally happens).

I was a little dissappointed that the shocks were plastic and not aluminum. I think that would have been a great improvement. But who knows, maybe these will hold up. I blew a few plastic caps off my 2.5 Tmaxx last weekend!

Had to touch up and add some CA to the tires, factory glue job was lacking a bit (no big deal).

Once I finally got the battery installed, I filled with fuel and started her up. This engine is stiff and has loads of compression. I had to crack the plug open a bit to allow pressure to escape then she started right up.

I idled the first tank (which is a huge 160cc monster) and maintained temps between 195 and 215 degrees as indicated in the manual. She ran great and was extremely rich as required.

Well, I am going to try and get the next two break in tanks done on Tues and will give more updates as I do.

Any questions, please ask.

C&B (Tom)
Old 11-19-2002, 04:32 AM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi Tom. Where do you run it at? Id like to check it out, I also go to Abernathy's now.
Where do you fly at also?

Thanks
Old 11-19-2002, 04:54 AM
crash and burn

Default Where do I run??

I run mostly on my property in the Woodinville, WA area and at the local outdoor track called MAXXLAND in Sammamish, WA. I go mostly on Sunday afternoons from around 1pm till dark in the winter.

Check them out online.

I fly at a private field in Snohomish, WA calle Cascade Family Airpark. It's great, only about 60 memebers.

C&B
Old 11-19-2002, 05:23 AM
3maxxman
My Feedback: (2)

MaxxLand it's the best track around this area, lots of people to help out others and bash with, you can't beat it. Maxxland click here
Old 11-21-2002, 01:53 AM
crash and burn

Default Ok, more info on break in process

Today was a beautiful day here in the Northwest, Sunny and 61 degrees with NO wind!

Anyway, first thing today, I ran my second break-in tank. The second and third tank must be done while rolling with only 1/2 throttle and then coast to keep the engine cool.

I managed to keep the temp in the 200-220 degree range.

Then on the fourth tank I opened her up! It's running real rich but still puts out exceptional power. I had to adjust the transmission to shift earlier. It was not shifting into second at all so I had to turn out the adjustment screw over 2 1/2 full turns to get it to shift.

I did some light hill climbing and a few mild jumps and the truck handles great on all counts.

So far I will have to give this truck two thumbs up! Let's see how she does at the track!

Hope to get to the track on Sunday for some real airtime.

Here are some photos, I ditched the stock body and did the Proline Jeep CJ8.

C&B
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	36765_4786.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	23031  
Old 11-21-2002, 01:54 AM
crash and burn

Default Here is another side view

ANOTHER PHOTO

Name:	36766_4786.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	23032  
Old 11-21-2002, 01:56 AM
crash and burn

Default Another photo

ONE MORE

Name:	36767_4786.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	23033  
Old 11-21-2002, 03:26 AM
nitro4tec32

i didnt know it had a handle. And a big one indeed.lol.
Nice truck. post some replies when you get to the track. I am very interested in this truck.Hope to hear a lot more on this truck

Thanx
Ricky
Old 11-21-2002, 04:02 AM
crash and burn

Default Handle

Ricky,

Yeah, the handle is actually a rollbar of sorts. But it is a great place to grab and carry the Savage with the body off!

Anyone else got your Savage yet???

Feel free to sound out.

I am building a few jumps for the trucks on my property. May have a chance to jump this baby on Thursday afternoon.
Will give a full report on performance.

C&B
Old 11-21-2002, 04:16 AM
crash_me_over
My Feedback: (16)

Default Re: Handle

Originally posted by crash and burn

Anyone else got your Savage yet???

In My Dreams!
Old 11-21-2002, 04:31 AM
crash_me_over
My Feedback: (16)

Default Thanks Tom

Tom,

Thanks for taking the time to let us all know of your impressions and experiences with your Savage. This is a great way to find out strengths and weaknesses. Much appreciated!
Old 11-21-2002, 07:12 AM
JohnVH

Hey C&B, tell me how to get to where your going to run it and what time, I may be able to make it to check it out!!

Thanks and glad to hear it may be a winner!
Old 11-21-2002, 07:16 AM
crash and burn

Default Plan to run on Sunday Nov 24th at MAXXLAND

John,

I plan to be at MAXXLAND in Sammamish on Sunday around 1pm or so. Unless weather looks bad.

For directions you need to call the property owner, Cory Hagen at 425-466-7335. The track is usually open on Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

I can be reached by cell at 425-785-0093

Abernathy's in Bellevue, WA has one of the Savage's left! Grab it while you can.

C&B Tom Graham
Old 11-21-2002, 07:16 AM
JohnVH

Default Re: Plan to run on Sunday Nov 24th at MAXXLAND

Originally posted by crash and burn
John,

I plan to be at MAXXLAND in Sammamish on Sunday around 1pm or so. Unless weather looks bad.

For directions you need to call the property owner, Cory Hagen at 425-466-7335. The track is usually open on Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

I can be reached by cell at 425-785-0093

Abernathy's in Bellevue, WA has one of the Savage's left! Grab it while you can.

C&B Tom Graham
OK, I will try to get in.

I would go buy that one, but I need another turbine for my BVM F86 yet
Old 11-21-2002, 07:44 AM
5Zigen

hey cras n burn,
i have a savage too. and i running my 5th tank now. it's been running great so far. I want to take it to a track and see how it runs. and I ready to do some jumps as well. Mine savage would not shift to 2nd w/stock setting. I think I'm going to adjust the shifting point too.
Old 11-21-2002, 03:53 PM
crash and burn

Default Shift point on Savage

Yeah, the Savage is transmissions seem to be set up NOT to shift out of the box. I had her throttle wide open and got nothing!

I ended up turning the adjustment screw counterclockwise almost 2.5 full turns to get a shift. Seems to work great now.

I forgot to mention that the tires on the Savage are really nice. Handles great in gravel, asphalt and grass. Yet to try on dirt track.

The tires seem to have a very soft/light foam insert. Not nearly as stiff as my Proline tire foams. But seems to handle fine on the flat lands. Proof will be in the jumping!!

Tires are very tall and add to ground clearance. I have done some pretty fast turns and braking turns with not a lot of tendency to roll over. In fact, I have yet to roll the Savage over.

C&B
Old 11-21-2002, 04:01 PM
crash and burn

Default Track testing and Tmaxx comparison

Guys,

Some of you are anxious to here a comparison on the Tmaxx verses the Savage.

Just let me get some fuel through the Savage and I will do my best to update you.

I only have 4 tanks through it but should be getting at least two more in today.

C&B
Old 11-21-2002, 06:48 PM
5Zigen

hey crash,

were you able to open the throttle all the way from stock setting? my throttle opens only 3/4 of the way when i press the trigger all the way from the transmitter.
Old 11-22-2002, 12:59 AM
crash and burn

Default Throttle setting

I will have to look at my carb and try opening with the transmitter. I hope it opens all the way! If not, I will have to go to an FM transmitter where I can get better controls over the servos.

C&B
Old 11-22-2002, 02:13 AM
cello

Default Throttle not at wide open.

That's one of the things I noticed, the throttle does not go all the way open. I don't know if it's servo problem or what.

I took the end of the return spring that was attached to the ball on the carb slide end and put it on the end of the linkage going to the carb slide.

The Servo still has plenty of power to close the throttle, but now it does go to W.O.T = Wide Open Throttle.

Hope this helps.

Cello
Old 11-22-2002, 05:13 AM
crash and burn

Default Throttle setting

Ok, took off the air cleaner and operated the throttle with the transmitter. I have full range from idle to wide open.
No problems here.

Ran my 5th tank through tonight pretty much at about half to full throttle. The truck has a pretty go take off but it's ready to be leaned out a bit. Had the temp up to 260 degrees with no problems.

This truck has more than adequate torque and is very stable with very little tendency to want to roll on turns!

No mechanical failures so far.

Oh, the fuel tank which is 160cc is HUGE and gives tons of run time. Even running as rich as I am I am getting over 15 minutes per tank!!

I AM LIKING THIS SAVAGE VERY MUCH!!!

I will get the 6th and 7th tank in on Friday.

C&B
Old 11-22-2002, 10:23 PM
Sprite

Wow, some great to know stuff here. I'm still waiting for the LHS to get some in. Please keep posting about your experiences. The more I read the more I want one!
-Sprite
Old 11-23-2002, 08:37 PM
5Zigen

thanks cello,

I guess I will have to look in to my servo setting to make it W.O.T.

Yesterday, I have ran my 8th tank on a asphalt road. I still can't make it to shift to 2nd!! I did however turned the thing 2 turns back. but it's still not shifting.
Old 11-23-2002, 11:59 PM
cello

Default 5Zigen

Make sure you are turning the right screw for the transmission setting. Look at the book to verify. There are 2 screws holes. Hope you are adjusting the right one.

Cello
Old 11-24-2002, 12:46 AM
crash and burn

Default 7 tanks run through.

Today I managed to get tank 6 and 7 in the Savage. It was a humid day and I had to lean it out on both bottom and top ends.

Truck speed is getting faster and the torque seems to be increasing. Did a few test jumps on my practice track. I managed to get a few serious jumps in with no bad habits to report!

On one jump, I tucked the front end and did about 4 end over end rolls! Everything held up perfect!

I thought these shocks would be on the wimpy side, but the suspension handles jumps very well. Smooth landings and good throttle response.

I still think I will upgrade to aluminum shocks when available.

SHIFT POINT
Make sure your adjusting the second screw!! Not the first one you come to. I may have had to turn mine almost 2.5 to 3 turns counterclockwise to get it to shift. Seems HPI decided to try and eliminate 2nd gear with the factory setting.

Well, hope to get to the track on Sunday and do some real testing!

C&B

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.