Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

20 monsters and 4 truggys later

Community
Search
Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

20 monsters and 4 truggys later

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2006, 08:48 PM
hybridstone

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 20 monsters and 4 truggys later

I started thinkin how sick i really am and how much frickin money ive spent into this addiction of mine!! It all started in the early 80' i was like 9 years old that's almost 20 years of inhaling nitro fumes 'no wonder me spellin ain't so goood lol". I owned a bunch of tamiya electric kits and a few kyosho nitro kits back when 4wheel drive cars used a chain drive lol It all really started to go downhill around 1998- 1999 with my first true monster kit! The "ofna monster pirate" that turned into a dominator somehow with the t-maxx/proline conversion and several rb engines and about $2000. Enter 2000-2003 the year of the maxx i owned like 8 big block maxxes + a bunch of small block maxxes and a stupid amount of money invested. 2003 was the year of the savage i can remember at least 4-5 highly modded race savys i got into 1/8 buggies for awhile and then came across a company called jtracing "Damn you Jtracing"!!Of course my buggies then turned into truggies and along came the gs storm sut for some reason i had to have this one too.Enter 2005 and a little aftermarket company called hot bodies released the groundbreakin truggy of the year and of course me being the local product tester i had to have one.Well after this race season I decided I was thru so i sold all! Yes all!! maxxes/mgts/savys/truggys gone! its the first time in 20 years were i'm not trippin over trucks n parts and now my poor dog is going thru withdrawls he really needs to chew on some mulchers!movin at 30mph lol So i felt bad for him and + the girlfriend is waaaay to happy latley lol so with all the great choices out there!! jammin crt/revo/lst2/mgt ect... I will be racing plus bashing aka" takin the dog for a run"lol Its down to the MGT or THE REVO I will read all of your feedback from your personal experiances and i will make my choice on saturday. p.s both trucks are in stock with great parts support. Once a r/c addict Always an r/c addict.
Old 02-07-2006, 09:18 PM
Haulin bass

Default RE: 20 monsters and 4 truggys later

ORIGINAL: hybridstone

I started and now my poor dog is going thru withdrawls he really needs to chew on some mulchers!movin at 30mph lol
So thats why theres holes in those mulchers I got haha.
Good luck with either one wichever you choose.
Old 02-07-2006, 09:19 PM
RenegadeRevo
My Feedback: (1)

My personal choice between the MGT and Revo would be the Revo. I have experienced the MGT (not the new 4.60SE, the old .21 version)... I am not impressed at all. It's slow, it breaks everytime we take it out (no matter how big or small)... and has some "out-of-the-box upgrades" that should be done. After over a year with my Revo, bashing mostly, but a VERY little amount of racing, I've found that the Revo really doesn't NEED anything in particular out of the box... it is highly individualized. For me, I wanted more power, so I got the TM323... and I wanted a stiffer suspension, so I upgraded that... those weren't things that HAD to be upgraded... just things to personalize it to MY driving style and tastes...

I have never seen an MGT raced, so... as far as track handling... and how well it takes to racing.. I know not. They're decently fast, but not near as fast as I would want... just my .02
Old 02-07-2006, 09:34 PM
hybridstone

Either truck will be stripped and rebuilt!!to last aka diffs shimmed/silicone oil/locktite/ rpm arms/new engine/fm radio gear/servos ect.. My mgt had a rb 28 and was sick!!!! Very reliable truck its all about the set up no such thing as an rtr
Old 02-07-2006, 09:41 PM
RenegadeRevo

Well, in that case... I can't help ya... LOL... if you're going to strip and rebuild 'em... neither of 'em will have their "low" points... so, it's a toss-up.... I've never seen a real "fast" MGT... all the ones I've seen were the old 32mph ones that get RIPPED up by my 47mph TM323-powered Revo... I've got a drag race video of my Revo vs. my friend's MGT... don't have it finished... didn't want to embarass him too bad... ya know? LOL
Old 02-07-2006, 09:51 PM
hybridstone

lol i hear ya! I like the layout on both trucks both are very easy to maintain + the aftermarket is huge!!I have never owned a revo but i have driven a few and they do handel great as does the mgt with its huge extended wheelbase! I don't know? I don't want both as i told the woman i would chill out with "my toys ~as she call's em" What about your 10 000 pairs of frickin shoes and enough outfits to dress a small country No sh!@! "Warning do not move in with your girlfriend"
Old 02-07-2006, 10:19 PM
revopqrs

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ohh man your story sounds kinda like mine! but im a little older, i had the frog, hot-shot, optima, javalin, rc10....... yup, been there!!
dude get the revo, its frikin unbelievable! the option parts are incredible, and it holds a big block nicely!
super tweaky, and faster than needed. it takes a wicked beating too, like nothing ive seen before! it takes very few upgrades to be incredibly durable.
mine has the os 30 in it!!
heres a vid of some jumipng off my 4' ramp.
http://www.rcpics.net/img/71230
and heres one in a parking lot, to show the power with a big block.
http://www.rcpics.net/img/70297

ive got more if ya like!
Old 02-07-2006, 10:31 PM
hybridstone

Thanks man!! I'll check em out.
Old 02-07-2006, 10:47 PM
FE_Chris
My Feedback: (2)

The new MGT 4.6 is solid. It's a great truck. A couple guys at our track have them and they rock. Bria1 race's a MGT 4.6 and he gets around the track real good with it. Better then me most of the time infact and I drive a jammin pro kit!!!!!!!(hey I am new, and so is the truck!!! ) AND it's fast as can be too, 38MPH I do believe.

BUT if it was me, and the extra 100 bucks for the truck did not matter I would get the revo. Great after market, strong, fast and an EXCELLENT racer!!!! You said you raced right? I bet you will race again and you will be glad you got the revo!!! and you can bash it

ORIGINAL: REVOFAMILY

My personal choice between the MGT and Revo would be the Revo. I have experienced the MGT (not the new 4.60SE, the old .21 version)... I am not impressed at all. It's slow, it breaks everytime we take it out (no matter how big or small)... and has some "out-of-the-box upgrades" that should be done. After over a year with my Revo, bashing mostly, but a VERY little amount of racing, I've found that the Revo really doesn't NEED anything in particular out of the box... it is highly individualized. For me, I wanted more power, so I got the TM323... and I wanted a stiffer suspension, so I upgraded that... those weren't things that HAD to be upgraded... just things to personalize it to MY driving style and tastes...

I have never seen an MGT raced, so... as far as track handling... and how well it takes to racing.. I know not. They're decently fast, but not near as fast as I would want... just my .02
Old 02-07-2006, 11:14 PM
blackrain

i run a mgt i have full rpm arms and nuckles thats all this truck need to be rock solid handles well on the track i feal its one of the best rtr ive ever bought. will always be one of my favorite trucks its bin realy good to me. i will getting a revo soon ive driven a few they seem real solid and from what i can tell from driving one they seem to turn much tighter than the mgt. you cant go wrong with either one.
Old 02-07-2006, 11:14 PM
silverman1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hybridstone,

I feel your pain man!! It all started inocently enough with a duratrax Max ST, then to a nitro rush, and then a HPI RS4 sedan, and it all went bonkers from there, sedans monsters buggies, got over 20 vehicles now. New ones that have never been run. My money goes into mostly RCs, what about dental, and important medical stuff? Something in my brain Just over rides the logical area. (what 500.00 to get the teeth drilled and fixed screw that!!!) But All yea gotta have the 400.00 REVO, then a 200 plus motor!! It makes no logic, this ain't braggin its talking about the serious RC addiction! Those nitro fuels must contain opium or crack cocaine or something!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All I can say is ease in slowly, and thank God you got a woman to ***** and nag at ya!!

Personally I say TNX, but the REVO is great to and all the aftermarket stuff available, OOH baby watch out or this hobby will sucker ya in big time again!!

Good luck
Old 02-08-2006, 01:42 AM
tnxtz

Let's have a diagnostic question: Where do you give most of your money, companies that produce the truck (stock) or to the aftermarket companies? Who among here in this forum who owns a Revo or LST in a year without buying expensive aftermarket parts? Stock parts not included. See, how much did you spend since then.

My TNX (6 mo.) = I added PBS + TZ motor + Hitec 625 steering servo + rear exhaust manifold + tamiya blue chassis plate. I used it mainly for racing and a bit of backyard bashing. I added HK$2,350 or US$305. How about yours?

Old 02-08-2006, 02:55 AM
Haulin bass

$1100+ and five engines in my revo, Still on the same year and four month old arms.Total money in has no baering on truck performance, considering ive been racing my truck for over a year that is very good.
Old 02-08-2006, 03:09 AM
RenegadeRevo

ORIGINAL: tnxtz

Let's have a diagnostic question: Where do you give most of your money, companies that produce the truck (stock) or to the aftermarket companies? Who among here in this forum who owns a Revo or LST in a year without buying expensive aftermarket parts? Stock parts not included. See, how much did you spend since then.

My TNX (6 mo.) = I added PBS + TZ motor + Hitec 625 steering servo + rear exhaust manifold + tamiya blue chassis plate. I used it mainly for racing and a bit of backyard bashing. I added HK$2,350 or US$305. How about yours?

Well, as it stands RIGHT NOW.. in the year I've had my Revo... I have spent NOTHING on aftermarket parts... (Since I still have a stock Revo w/2.5r)... I did, however purchase a $240 engine... however as I said.. right now... it's not in it... [:'(]
Old 02-08-2006, 11:24 AM
silverman1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LST Over a hundred in MIP driveline, probabaly 70.00 in Rpm arms, 160.00 in a New SH 28. Revo 204.00 rb 323tm engine, and a 40.00 dollar servo from futaba for throttle control, the old one fried, and I upgraded.
Old 02-08-2006, 11:33 AM
revopqrs

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the revo doesnt need much to be durable, sure i have spent a bunch of money on mine, but thats why i bought it! im not gonna buy a truck and leave well enough alone. my favorite part of this hobby is bolting on new goodies, then testing it to see if it was worth it!
i dont even understand the people who leave their trucks stock? i like to try and make mine better than the next guys, or at least look different.
but i guess different strokes for different folks!

but i will say the revo doesnt need many parts, im still running my stock drive shafts! thats with 2 big blocks, one being the os 30!
rpm arms are a good upgrade if ya wanna really beat on it.
Old 02-08-2006, 12:05 PM
karlracing
My Feedback: (9)

my vote is for the lst2 or get another lightning pro-r
Old 02-08-2006, 12:25 PM
jombo

ORIGINAL: hybridstone

Either truck will be stripped and rebuilt!!to last aka diffs shimmed/silicone oil/locktite/ rpm arms/new engine/fm radio gear/servos ect.. My mgt had a rb 28 and was sick!!!! Very reliable truck its all about the set up no such thing as an rtr
sounds like you already made up your mind, good choice.
Old 02-08-2006, 06:21 PM
MBX5T Maniac
My Feedback: (-1)

LST 2 or Revo. Or both
Old 02-08-2006, 10:06 PM
tnxtz

For a year and nothing on aftermarket parts? You are so disciplined and conservative in your hobby.
Well, as it stands RIGHT NOW.. in the year I've had my Revo... I have spent NOTHING on aftermarket parts... (Since I still have a stock Revo w/2.5r)... I did, however purchase a $240 engine... however as I said.. right now... it's not in it... [:'(]
[/quote]
Old 02-09-2006, 12:35 AM
RenegadeRevo

ORIGINAL: tnxtz

For a year and nothing on aftermarket parts? You are so disciplined and conservative in your hobby.
[/quote]
Don't need 'em. The Revo is tough enough... and, as I said... I do have a $240 engine... it's just not on it right now... 'cause I need to get a new O-ring for the HSN... but, I'm too lazy to drive to the LHS and get one... LOL
Old 02-09-2006, 02:02 AM
tnxtz

No, it's not if Revo or LST is tough enough or not. The thing is, there are alot of hobbyist in this forum and other who stripped down their truck tho the stock parts are still fairly new and replace it with "bling" aftermarket parts (sometimes 5 - 10 times expensive than stock parts) because it looks cool, performs well, head turner design and most of all readily available anytime.

I think Traxxas products specifically the TMaxx and the Revo has the highest percentage in aftermarket support. For you to last in a year without patronizing them is just simply amazing!
Old 02-09-2006, 02:22 AM
RenegadeRevo

LOL... well, I'm not a BLING BLING R/C enthusiast... I beat the heck out of my Revo... no need for expensive parts... I just use what works... If I broke more A-arms, I'd go with RPM's... but... I don't... if I NEEDED something on my Revo to make it more durable, I'd get it... I just don't... I think it's nice to see a "Bling" Revo... but I find no practical use for it. LOL... I'm about to get some new wheels/tires once my stockers give out on me (one of 'em is cracked all the way down the middle, so it won't be long) I might get some nice ones then... but probably not... I'll get Hurricanes and stretch-fit Zombie-maxx tires on 'em...