Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

unlimited mt class.........

Old 02-13-2006, 08:50 AM
sk8z27

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default unlimited mt class.........

just wondering if this is the class i would race my smaxx that i've modded with new chassis, 4wd conversion, 40 series wheels and tires, motor and pipe, and shocks. just raced my first club race that included truggies and i was told that at the big races that this is the class i would have to race. doesn't seem fair if that's the case. he said it would include 1/10 sclae mt's and 1/8th scale truggies. truggies are like night and day difference then a revo or tmaxx imo. just wondering if it was pointless to spend money on my maxx when the an rtr truggy can thrash a built up maxx or revo. there was three truggies and about another three mt's in my main and the truggy put six laps on me and the other two would've put at least that many laps on me if they hadn't broke out. i finished second after the truggy, but still not even close.
Old 02-13-2006, 09:53 AM
ThermalRD

Default RE: unlimited mt class.........

That depends. Does your new chassis include a center diff? If you've done any sort of hybrid conversion, then you will end up running in an outlaw class. However, if you're still using the tranny, and a chassis that utilizes the lower braces, then you should not be forced into the outlaw class. But you really need to ask your race director or track owner.
Old 02-13-2006, 09:56 AM
maxximum_overdrive

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did you do a low chassis conversion such as a mutant maxx, or did you put larger than a .18 engine in it? if so you will have to race un,imited, otherwise you were told wrong, you should be able to race in the standard mt class.

i race a t-maxx in the standard mt class, and it has a partial low chassis conversion. it has a lower chassis plate that connects directly to the fron skid plate, and take the place of the lrear skid plate. i moved the steering servo to the opposite side and layed it down, put a rustler tank in the front left corner with the lid sticking up though the servo hole, and moved my rx and batteries down. this brought the cg way down but kept it legal by leaving the engine and trans in the stock location.
Old 02-13-2006, 11:36 AM
sk8z27

it was the first nitro race at the indoor track. supposedly last year they had a couple races too. the track i run at is predominantly electric. the thing is our race director is really an 1/8th scale guy who races mostly outdoors. needless to say when a bunch of guys brought in the truggies no one knew what class they should run so they ran them with the monster truck class and at the start they made them wait behind the 1/10 scale monster trucks like the revo's, maxx's, and savages which didn't make one bit of difference because they had already all caught up by the end of the first or second lap. i hung with the top truggy for about a lap or two before i fell off the pace. as for my truck the only real mods was a new chassis that did not change any of the stock locations and a new os .18 cv-rx and pipe, same tranny. i lowered it so the a arms are level and the chassis sits pretty low. everything else is basically upgrading of the stock parts. is there a rulebook or something that states the rules........maybe i'll check that now. what is the difference then with standard mt, unlimited mt, and outlaw. i don't mind running with the truggies, but i think they should have their times scored in their own category.
Old 02-13-2006, 11:47 AM
fast86cutls
My Feedback: (4)

sk8z27, the following was taken directly from the RC Pro Series website regarding the differences between a standard monster truck and an Arena/Unlimited/Outlaw (whatever your area may call it):

Standard Monster Truck

Scale - 1/10-1/8
Description:
To be a Standard MT, the lowest point of the engine must sit at least 1.5" inches above the lowest point along the front-back centerline when compressed (usually the "skid plates").
To tech questionable MTs, remove the wheels, place MT on flat surface, compress the vehicle fully and a ruler (or 1.5" gauge) could be used vertically to measure the engine above the surface.
The following trucks are examples that fit within the above definition: T (and S) -Maxxes, Savage, MGT, Revo, TNX/TC and LST.

Minimum track width - - - - - - - - - - - - - Continuous 10 feet (same as 8th scales)
Wheel base - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Minimum 12 inches
Transmission - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 1, 2 or 3 speed are OK
Engine - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - .12ci to .28c
Carb ------------------------------------------------- No size restriction. Carb must mount securely to the motor.
Exhaust ------------------------------------------- Pipes must meet the 85 decibel limit and have no movable parts in them.
Minimum weight - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - .12ci to .18ci Small blocks: 2750grams (~6 pounds), .15 to .28 Big blocks: 4300 grams (~9.5 pounds)
Maximum weight for the safety of turn marshals ------------------- 13 pounds 6 ounces
Fuel Tanks - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Single fuel tanks only.
Bodies - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Truck or SUV (no buggy or car bodies allowed )
Bumpers - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -Bumpers are optional. If used, must not extend further than 1" past the body on the front and rear.
Rear Spoiler/wing - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - A spoiler/wing is optional.
Skid Plates - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -Skid Plates must not extend further than 1" past the body on the front and rear.
Wheels --------------------------------------------- Must be manufactured for Monster Trucks.
Wheel Mounting -------------------------------- Wheel mounting - Must be securely mounted at all times.
Tires - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -Must be rubber only and currently available to the public (i.e. in hobby shops at least 2 weeks prior to event) as a Monster Truck tire. No tires created for other vehicle types even if they fit the specifications will be allowed. Cutting or modifying the tread is allowed. Modifying the tire carcass by sectioning or narrowing is prohibited. Due to the varying sizes of wheels available for Monster Trucks it IS legal to trim the mounting bead of a tire produced for the Monster Truck class to make it fit a Monster Truck rim. Example - Bowtie on a REVO wheel. All tire measurements reference the carcass dimensions and does not include the tread depth or width.
Tire diameter- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Minimum - 5.1" (mounted)
Tire width - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Minimum - 2.75"(mounted)

Race lengths- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Qualifiers - 5 to 10 minutes, Main events - 15 to 60 minutes

NOTES:
1. All Standard MT's will run in the same class. Big block/small block is no longer an issue, larger displacement engines have a heavier minimum weight to compensate.

1/8th Arena Truck Class

Scale - 1/10-1/8
Description:
Any Monster Truck that does not 100% meet the Standard MONSTER TRUCK specifications while still meeting the below guidelines will run in the Unlimited Class. Standard Monster Trucks may also enter the Outlaw class.

Minimum track width - - - - - - - - - - - - - Continuous 10 feet (same as 8th scales)
Wheel base - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Minimum 12 inches
Transmission/diff - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 1, 2 or 3 speed are OK
Engine - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - .12ci to .28ci
Carb ------------------------------------------------- No size restriction. Carb must mount securely to the motor.
Exhaust ------------------------------------------- Pipes must meet the 85 decibel limit and have no movable parts in them.
Minimum weight - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 2750grams (~6 pounds)
Maximum weight for the safety of turn marshals ------------------- 13 pounds 6 ounces
Fuel Tanks - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Single fuel tanks only.
Bodies - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Truck or SUV (no buggy or car bodies allowed )
Bumpers - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -Bumpers are optional. If used, must not extend further than 1" past the body on the front and rear.
Rear Spoiler/Wing - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - A spoiler/wing is optional.
Skid Plates - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -Skid Plates must not extend further than 1" past the body on the front and rear.
Wheels --------------------------------------------- Must be manufactured for Monster Trucks.
Wheel Mounting -------------------------------- Wheel mounting - Must be securely mounted at all times.
Tires - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -Must be rubber only and currently available to the public (i.e. in hobby shops at least 2 weeks prior to event) as a Monster Truck tire. No tires created for other vehicle types even if they fit the specifications will be allowed. Cutting or modifying the tread is allowed. Modifying the tire carcass by sectioning or narrowing is prohibited. Due to the varying sizes of wheels available for Monster Trucks it IS legal to trim the mounting bead of a tire produced for the Monster Truck class to make it fit a Monster Truck rim. Example - Bowtie on a REVO wheel. All tire measurements reference the carcass dimensions and does not include the tread depth or width.
Tire diameter- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Minimum - 4.55" (mounted)
Tire width - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Minimum - 2.25"(mounted)
The Panther LP is referenced for this size and will be the absolute smallest tire legal.

Race lengths- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Qualifiers - 5 to 10 minutes, Main events - 15 to 60 minutes

NOTES:
1) All Unlimited MT's will run in the same class.

Just take these rules to your local track, and see if they will use them as guidelines. I know that at our local indoor track, the controversy has been going on for a while, but has been resolved by the separation of the two classes.

I hope that this helps.

p.s.

These are last years rules, but should be a good base to start with.
Old 02-13-2006, 12:54 PM
sk8z27

so basically, a guy like myself who has only done moderate mods like new motor, lower the chassis, and change stock parts with aftermarket parts would be considered standard mt. somebody who goes to the extreme like adds a center diff, extends chassis, or completely rebuilds it into a whole new truck would be considered unlimited. so now what is this outlaw class that i've been hearing about and what class does that put the truggies in? the kid at the race was telling me that unlimited included truggies. just doesn't make any sense to run a truggy with even a highly modified 1/10th scale mt.