Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

Should I not run WOT with my WarHead???

Community
Search
Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Should I not run WOT with my WarHead???

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2006, 06:47 PM
Big D Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I not run WOT with my WarHead???

I read a engine tuning guide that was reference here in several threads.

[link=http://www.*********.org/cars_eng-tuning.htm]http://www.*********.org/cars_eng-tuning.htm[/link]

One thing caught my attention about running WOT in large areas like parking lots:

Running in parking lots, particularly larger ones with a lot of breathing room, requires unique mixture settings. It’s a common mistake to establish mixture settings for maximum punch—as though the car will be run within the confines of a tight racetrack—and then to go out and run at wide-open throttle (WOT) in a huge parking lot for 5 minutes. This type of running is incredibly unhealthy for an engine to begin with, and compounding the problem with an excessively lean main-needle setting is a recipe for disaster. If you still insist on torturing your engine, the high-speed mixture setting needs to be as much as 1/4 turn richer than typical to provide optimum fuel for the upper rpm range. The engine will be a little softer when accelerating from a standstill, but it’s the only way to ensure there is an adequate supply of fuel and oil when running at the upper end of the rpm range. The inherent danger is that this type of running taxes the connecting rod and other engine components to their limits, but having the proper mixture setting will at least delay the inevitable.
Is this saying that's its bad for these engines to run at WOT for extended periods of time? It just seems ridiculous if that's the case. Why advertise a car/truck that can do 45+ MPH if its bad to run that fast! There's no way you're gonna get up to 45 MPH on most dirt tracks.

Am I reading this wrong?
Old 02-13-2006, 06:54 PM
jkrustchinsky
Banned
My Feedback: (7)

Default RE: Should I not run WOT with my WarHead???

its not gonna hurt your engine, dont worry about it man, if your not breaking anything then your not having fun, that article was written 5-6 years ago, the big beefy nitro motors of today can take anything you give it and keep on going for 5-6 gallons before needing any rebuild.

you can go wide open throttle all you want man, just monitor your engine temps, as long as they stay below 280 then youa re golden and you can do whatever you want. hope this helped, when i was new in this hobby i went electric because of reding that article in rccaraction 6 years ago, that article scares the **** of newbs cause it makes seem much more complicated and touchy then it really is.

also watch on ebay just everynow and then and score a complete piston sleeve and connecting rod for cheap, since the warhead is new then it could be a month or two before people start parting trucks out, but thats what i did, that way if anything does go wrong which is very unlikely or if you just get to about 7 gallons and your motor starts losing compression you have a cheap rebuild right on hand. HAVE FUN DUDE, ITS A TOY, JOSH
Old 02-17-2006, 02:32 PM
ashburg

Seems like with the stock motor and the stock AM Radio, my warhead at WOT would go out of control

I changed to a Spektrum transmitter and problem was gone.
Old 02-17-2006, 02:42 PM
Big D Z

Well, my Warhead is running great now. I have no problems running at WOT.

I just keep breaking my servo saver. Just broke it again in a tumble. Don't know how I'm gonna fix it this time. More JB weld i guess.
Old 02-17-2006, 05:09 PM
J_ME65

Get some 24 or 26 gauge wire and wrap that saver with J-B weld, it'll hold. As far as WOT, like jk said, monitor your temps. If you have your settings for just driving around and bashing and that, then you go a few laps WOT, your temps will go up. As far as short sprints it shouldn't change it much though.
Old 02-21-2006, 02:15 PM
ashburg

How's the warhead runnin' these days Big D Z?
Old 02-22-2006, 12:46 PM
Big D Z

Pretty good. I just got my 3-shoe clutch/bell installed along with a failsafe, 5-cell receiver pack. My jb-weld with 24 gauge wire is holding up pretty good now, even after a few cart-wheels lol

I need to tune the engine now to get the performance i want out of it. I went with a lower tooth bell housing to get better acceleration. I probably need to adjust the shift point also so that it shifts earlier since I won't have as much top-end. Its a little sluggish off the line, kinda hesitates just a bit and then goes.
Old 02-22-2006, 12:50 PM
ashburg

COOL...hmm..hesitation sounds like your low speed needle setting. Yeah lol, I had to adjust my shift point too once I went to the 14 tooth ofna...but the thing is, I was adjusting the wrong allen nut in there hehe.

got a Savage yesterday...it's niiiiiice [8D]
Old 02-22-2006, 06:00 PM
jkrustchinsky
Banned
My Feedback: (7)

your gonna like the savage way better man, ALMOST NO PROBLEMS MAN, i'd like to give the warhead a chance but ive just had too many bad experiences with duratrax and as it stands the warhead isnt doing so hot, i mean it took them WAY LONG to release the damn thing and they dont even run without work and problems right out of the box, THATS BULL****
Old 02-23-2006, 04:42 AM
Haldir

Don't run it at all period, I have heard if you just look at it the wrong way it falls apart.
Old 02-23-2006, 06:38 AM
EG1

I run my engines as rich as possible while still having clean crisp acceleration. The article is correct in that if you tune for maximum punch running slightly lean and go out and race your buddies across the football field your asking for trouble.
Old 02-23-2006, 10:38 AM
Big D Z

ORIGINAL: EG1

I run my engines as rich as possible while still having clean crisp acceleration. The article is correct in that if you tune for maximum punch running slightly lean and go out and race your buddies across the football field your asking for trouble.
I don't think that is what the article is saying. Its not saying that running at WOT across open areas after you tune your truck to run lean for a track is bad, it says that running like that even if you tune your engine RICH to just run at WOT is bad. It basically says its never good to run at WOT period.

Old 02-23-2006, 12:08 PM
RCtruckRacer

Generally speaking, these two strokers are NOT MEANT to be run at CONSTANT WOT for any length of time. Because of the way the engine get compression - a super tight fit between the piston and sleeve as opposed to using rings- high rpm runs cause really high engine temps due to the friction involved. That is what the article is saying. Even in other types of engines, constant WOT will kill them. So, as the article says, run as rich as possible if you have to torture your engine.
Old 02-25-2006, 11:15 PM
spur stripper

Haldir is right!!!! If I feel like working on my truck I just go run it for awhile. If I want an evening with the little lady I have to leave the truck alone for a few days to guarantee that I'm not making any mechanical work for myself. What the hell was I thinking when I pulled the trigger on a warhead nirto what not to buy training experience......