Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

new to the monster truck game - startup items

Community
Search
Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

new to the monster truck game - startup items

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2006, 07:55 PM
Grandcrapr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new to the monster truck game - startup items

i just purchased a tnx (since i've got to wait for the 3.3 revo!), and was looking for some input as to what i should buy right out of the gate in terms of batteries and charger, possibly different servos, and common problem parts (i've heard the shocks are pretty lame). any particular brands of batteries/charger that are superior? nitro brands and %? what would be a good set of replacement shocks? i'm just looking to be pointed in the right direction, since my last r/c car was the original rc10 that my dad and i assembled when i was about 10. good websites for replacement parts or hop-ups would be appreciated as well, since i've heard that support for tamiya at LHS is weak at best.
Old 02-24-2006, 08:24 PM
danny f norman

Default RE: new to the monster truck game - startup items

i run odonnel 20% in all my trucks-past and present and i'm happy with it as far as batteries and chargers for the electric start i would get a 1500mah sport pack and duratrax makes some good quick chargers that are cheap.as for shocks pro-line makes a set called power stroke shocks that are good but expensive mugen and ofna also have good shocks. as far as parts your best bet would be go to tower and order some extras if your local hobby shop dont carry tamiya parts
Old 02-24-2006, 08:32 PM
Grandcrapr

thanks for the quick reply. would you suggest i keep the battery to no higher than 1500 mah? i know they make up to 2000 or so, but does it carry any real benefit for the extra $$?
Old 02-24-2006, 08:34 PM
danny f norman

there is no real advantage if your just using it in the electric start. going higher wont hurt the electric start but you dont need it save your money for hop-ups
Old 02-24-2006, 08:40 PM
Grandcrapr

gotcha. how about servos? any affordable ones that would be considered an upgrade? i've seen people post about the hitec 645's, but not much else. also, will i need to buy glow plugs or will the truck come with them? and how do you like your warhead? there's so many mixed feelings about that truck it seems...
Old 02-24-2006, 08:49 PM
danny f norman

i personally like mine but i havent broke anything on it yet. the truck should come with a glow plug in it as far as replacements i would try a o.s. a3 or #8. the hi tech servo you've read about is hard to beat for the price you can usually get them for 35-40 bucks they put out plenty of torque
Old 02-25-2006, 01:06 AM
Dil

you are right the stock shocks suck bad!!, they leak out oil a damm lot, even after 1 run the oils all over, get the proline shocks, if they are avaliable, I put in the tamiya TGM-02 chasis aluminium shock set, they too were leaking a bit of oil, but i solved it by putting an extra washer into the shock, from my old shocks (now i have 2 washers in the shock)

i use 30% nitro, its got a great engine!!!!!
Old 02-25-2006, 03:01 PM
Grandcrapr

right on - thanks for the info, dil. looks like the first thing i'll be getting for the tnx will be some good shocks. undecided on which kind, though. i've heard the big bores are good for the moolah $... any problems tuning or breaking in this engine?