RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

TNX or LST2

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2006, 03:00 AM
dartmouth01

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TNX or LST2

Hi everyone,

I've been really flip flopping on my decision for my next truck or truggy, but I think I've narrowed it down to the TNX and LST2. Now, I know they are at two totally different price points, and that the LST2 is almost twice the price of the TNX. And price does mean something when it comes to quality or performance with RC stuff. But can anyone give me specific good reasons why I should go with the LST2 instead of the TNX? I believe the LST2 would be a great racer out of the box, but the TNX from what I've read is no slouch in the handling department. The TNX looks more outdated looks and tech wise, but if it works, I can't fault it. The LST2 looks and feels bigger, but I hear one of the best things of the TNX is its simplicity and lightweight design. I do really think the LST2 is a very nice size, as I'm looking for a 1/8 truck to go along with my Revo. I don't need a nice radio (LST2) since I already will be putting in a DX3 reciever. One thing that would sway me to the LST2 is that it would actually save me money in the long run, either being more durable or cheaper to fix than the TNX. But from what I can tell, the LST2 is no more durable than the TNX. My LHS carries both trucks, so they have parts on hand for both of them. Can anyone help me here? I'm torn between both: The LST2 is sexy and packs quite a punch from what I've read, while the TNX is a solid performer that will save me money in the short run and possibly in the long run.....
Old 03-05-2006, 07:37 AM
Bria1

Default RE: TNX or LST2

I have the TNX Pro version and I really like it. It's a fast truck, but if I had to pick between the TNX and a LST2, I would go with the LST2. Since you don't need the radio, you can sell it to help off set the extra cost of the LST2. The stock TNX shocks are not very good, so if you do plan on racing or running it hard, you should upgrade to something better. The powerstrokes on the Pro version work great, but they are discontinued so you will have to keep an eye on ebay for some.
Old 03-05-2006, 10:41 AM
ssj2

I've heard many positive things about the LST2, and personally it looks like a bad a$% truck in my mind. Get it, if you can afford, cuz I don't have one cuz they're expensive.
Old 03-05-2006, 11:29 AM
A.B.U

LST2. I have a hoped up LST and it's AWSOME. Handeling is EXCELLENT for such a large truck. (keeps up with REVOs, and it's 1/8th scale!)

Also, the after market support fior the LST 1/2 is AMAZAING. People make many parts for it, to make your LST a beast.

Don't forget the radio and all the included things with the LST. The LST just screams big block power!

Old 03-05-2006, 11:50 AM
dartmouth01

Yeah, the big block is something that is very attractive to me. I want something different than the Revo, which is why I started off originally with the truggy idea, but I'll be bashing more than racing, and truggies are just inherently less strong than MTs, if anything because of the reduced weight and lower ground clearance. So I'm thinking 1/8 scale MT is sufficiently different from the Revo to give me a reason to buy another truck, but I'm kinda wary about buying one of the most expensive MTs out there (LST2) when I hear only good things about the TNX and I can buy two at the same price.

But three votes for the LST2 here and none for the TNX so far is helping me lean toward the LST2. Thanks so far for the input!
Old 03-05-2006, 12:48 PM
jkrustchinsky
Banned
My Feedback: (7)

money is the only thing keeping me from buying a lst2 [&o]
Old 03-05-2006, 01:46 PM
RCtruckRacer

Here's another one that will steer you towards the LST. Right now, the TNX Pro is discontinued. You can still get all the parts to make a Pro version, but the actual truck is d/c'd. No doubt becasue Tamiya is working on, maybe close to releasing whatever is going to replace it. The TNX pro had a lot going for it, and factory drivers proved it was race worthy. I was sure Tamiya was going to promote the heck out of it. Certainly the new truck should be just as nice, but I have not heard anything about it, or any estimated release date. So, if you don't mind waiting, whatever the new Tamiya MT is will probably kick butt. If you don't want to wait, perhaps the LST 2 is a better choice.
Old 03-06-2006, 12:56 AM
bauerbach

for what its worth, losi has stated on their website they will be releasing a truggy mid summer. not much known, but it may be worth waiting for. probably wont do anything to help you with the fact itll be atleast twice as much as the TNX. but its an option perhaps.

assuming you have more patience than me.
Old 03-06-2006, 09:45 AM
2DMaxLST!!

ORIGINAL: bauerbach

for what its worth, losi has stated on their website they will be releasing a truggy mid summer. not much known, but it may be worth waiting for. probably wont do anything to help you with the fact itll be atleast twice as much as the TNX. but its an option perhaps.

assuming you have more patience than me.
Do you have a link, I went all over their site and all I see is the 1/8 scale buggy, thanks.
Old 03-06-2006, 10:32 AM
RCtruckRacer

Adam sent me this:

Hello Rob, The stock LST tank is 170cc and should be ok for the RC Pro rules.

We are testing a new Team Losi Muggy (LST2 with center diff, brake bias, extended chassis, ect...)

Talk to you soon.

Adam Drake
R&D Team
4710 E. Guasti Road
Ontario, CA. 91761
(909)390-9595

-----Original Message-----

Of course most of us have seen the pics of this "muggy," but it almost seems like Adam is saying it may be released (this was in response to my question about tips for competing with a 3.3 with center dif, brake bias, extended chassis and swept back arms).
Old 03-06-2006, 10:41 AM
2DMaxLST!!

I think the current chassis is perfect. It would be kewl if they made a new tranny with a internal diff and room for rear brakes, I'm thinking the linkage to the rear could pass through the transmission case........... I don't want to have to change out my LOSI carbon top plate.... sounds interesting!!
Old 03-06-2006, 10:42 AM
dartmouth01

That does sound very nice, but if I end up getting a truggy I'll probably just buy the Jammin soon. I'd rather have a truck that is a little older because there's better chance of aftermarket and factory parts support, and I don't think I could wait till late summer/next year to see how the Muggy shakes out. But it does sound like it will be a sweet ride.....
Old 03-06-2006, 10:57 AM
RCtruckRacer

So now we will need 3 MT classes: Production MT, Muggy, and Truggy. I still feel the engineering upgrades are never going stop and I will forever be trying to buy the "next best gadget' for my truck(s). Its all getting a bit out of hand. I almost have the area in my backyard cleared for my track. Final measurements have yet to be taken, but it looks like it should be 50' x 24'. Might only be 45' though. It will be big for my Mini LST's. Getting my AMB20 system over the weekend, and now just need the transponders. I found a company in England [link=http://www.team-mrt.com/]Team MRT[/link] that sells knock-off synthesized transponders. $86 each, just need to make sure they can sell in the states. The track should be just barely big enough to run a 1/10 scale on. Perhaps a XXX-NT AD2 or something... That gas truck class is looking better and better!
Old 03-06-2006, 12:03 PM
Grandcrapr

i was actually just facing the same decision about a month back and ended up going with the TNX. i couldn't be happier. light weight screamer that has really surprised me with its durability and straight up bad-ass attitude on all types of terrain. light weight, so there is less stress on internal parts and an engine swap (when the time comes) would mean even more insane speed. i'll take the extra $300 and an incredible truck.
Old 03-06-2006, 12:18 PM
2DMaxLST!!

Do you race??
Old 03-06-2006, 12:32 PM
Grandcrapr

no. i dork around the local track often, but only for fun.
Old 03-06-2006, 12:39 PM
2DMaxLST!!

I see, you should drop by NCRC on Saturday. I'm planning on being there and I know a couple of fast Revo guys who may come with me.
Old 03-06-2006, 12:48 PM
Grandcrapr

i'd love to go check it out sometime. i work this saturday, but maybe later down the road. where in SA is this place?
Old 03-06-2006, 12:51 PM
2DMaxLST!!

Oh, I was talking about in Austin, off 620 near Parmer, I'm coming up there. It's really fun to check out if you have not observed a race before.
Old 03-06-2006, 12:57 PM
Grandcrapr

oh, right on! i would love to check it out if my schedule lets me. what time is the race?
Old 03-06-2006, 01:00 PM
2DMaxLST!!

Signup closes at 11:30am and quals start right around noon. They have a real nice setup there. It is kinda hard to find because all of the construction. Who knows if you are there sometime in the afternoon I might snag you to fuel at the starting gate.. Seriously if you think you might want to get into racing it's a good way to get a feel for what it's like.

Here's their website http://www.ncontrolrc.com/
Old 03-06-2006, 01:10 PM
Grandcrapr

i would love to go check that out. we'll see what i can do to fenagle my work schedule to accomodate ... also my son gets into town that day (he's 7), so he'd love to check it out as well. do you come to austin much to race?
Old 03-06-2006, 01:19 PM
2DMaxLST!!

This will be my second trip to race there.
Old 03-06-2006, 01:38 PM
Grandcrapr

cool. well i'm going to try to make it, so look out for the bald (shaved head), skinny guy. what's your name, and what does your ride look like so i can spot you? i take it you run an lst...
Old 03-06-2006, 02:13 PM
2DMaxLST!!

I'll be the guy with all the Team Losi tattoos and body piercings. j/k

Here's my ride...

Here's what my pit area will look like..

Definitely come by and hang out, it's a good way to learn about racing have some fun!! I may get you to put me on the gate and fuel me, who knows you might get camera man credits on my next video.

They call me 2D but I'm Dennis.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.