RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

beginner monster truck

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2006, 11:05 PM
boxxcar4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default beginner monster truck

hey everyone,

I want to get into the nitro monster truck hobby, but I haven't a lot of money, 300 at most...What RTR monster truck can I get as a beginner?

What should I look for in a beginner truck that's good and not trouble some?
I want it to go FASTer than an electric buggy (I've had a B4, and feel it's slow), at least 45 mph. And handles well, and durable, and bashable!! lots of fun!! If it's good, maybe even over 300 dollars

I'm looking for a great time with my r/c!!
thANks!!
Old 04-16-2006, 11:10 PM
dustin7837
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: beginner monster truck

If you want a fast 4wd MT, Cen magnum is GREAT and cheap. Or if you can spare a few xtra dollars go with a revo.
There are faster and bigger ones out there but trying to stick close to the 300$ limit and have a quality truck.
The only issue with CEN is that many hobby stores dont carry parts on had, so they have to order them or you have to get them online.
Old 04-17-2006, 01:00 AM
bauerbach

if you said money was no object no one here could suggest a truck to do 45mph out of the box...

well revo 3.3 perhaps, thats brand new. but in the tests Ive seen, the revo 2.5 and LST2 were at the top of the pack in the 39-40mph range. even manufacturer runs Ive seen were maybe 42mph.

would be nice to get a great basher, and a great racer, and durable, all for 300$. but of course... well... simply put it doesnt exist. heck, something great at everything may not exist for 700$; depends on your viewpoint.

IMO at 300$; your best bet will be something used. a revo would be my suggestion. revo 2.5 used.
Old 04-17-2006, 12:32 PM
redbarton

I would highly recommend the Tamiya TNX for that price range. Stock, it will do close to 40 mph. I've never seen a more user friendly truck. It is very durable and good for bashing and/or racing. It sounds like you already have 7.2v packs and a charger. It even comes with a glow ignitor. You won't need much else to get it going. Here's the best price for it:

http://www.ultimatehobbies.com//p619.html

$309 with free shipping! I know that's a little more than you want to pay. However, it will be worth it. Going cheap never pays off in the end.
Old 04-18-2006, 05:34 PM
silverman1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I 2nd the tnx at ultimate hobbies or the Cen MT 2 or Cen nx monster truck from ebay for less then 300.00 horizion hobbies is now stocking cen parts and vehicles. The TNX you'll only pay a little over 300. from ultimate hobbies. I own both these trucks and they are both durable and a blast to run. You'll really get your bang for the buck out either one
Old 04-18-2006, 05:44 PM
mosavage

save some money and buy a savage x or revo 3.3. soemthing durable and not cheap. so u can peat the piss out of it and dont have to worry bout replacing parts
Old 04-18-2006, 05:48 PM
Bria1

I'll 3rd the TNX. It is a lot of truck for the money and it isn't built cheap. The truck can take a beating.
Old 04-18-2006, 08:17 PM
redbarton

It seems that many agree with my recommendation of the TNX. Stick with a tried and true truck instead of something new and untried or, dare I say it, an off brand. CEN seems to be catching up quick, but they aren't on par yet with the big names like Tamiya, HPI, Associated, or Losi.