Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

Decided on Savage X, now what spares?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Decided on Savage X, now what spares?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2006, 05:38 AM
dan_the_rcman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Decided on Savage X, now what spares?

Hey guys im loooking for a mt atm and i am down to three choices the savage X, Warhead and the MGT as these are the best trucks i have found for under $450. Which one do you guys think is the best one? i have herd that the savage is a bit tougher and harder to brake. But i have also heard good things about the warhead and it has reverse which is what i am looking for. Then theres the mgt Any opinions or comments would be great!
cheers guys
Old 05-08-2006, 08:09 AM
rc skillz

Default RE: Savage X, Warhead or MGT?

do not get the warhead. the mgt one of the best trucks for the money... they have reverse, 2 speed tranny, easy to woprk on. get the MGT
Old 05-08-2006, 08:14 AM
dracy69
My Feedback: (1)

the savage is much tougher then both with an available reverse. dont get the warhead under any circumstances. the mgt is a good truck. more support for the savage (ALOT more) the x is very easy to work on. couldnt comment on the MGT. the X's engine is pretty robust and will keep you happy. can pull wheelies on demand stock. and has a few goodies in the box. both trucks should make you happy......
Old 05-08-2006, 08:21 AM
Wide Open

i agree with everyone else, stay away from the warhead. that leaves the savvy x and mgt. i own an mgt, so ill recommend that, but to tell you the truth go and see what your lhs stocks parts for. thats one of the reasons i bought the mgt is because my lhs has a ton of parts for it and not the savage, the only problem is that i havent had to buy any parts yet... or is that a good thing?
Old 05-08-2006, 09:39 AM
meda2ni

Same here don't get WARHEAD....I've read so many bad thing about...how poorly design it is....
I have the Savage X and it is one tough truck to bash....I don't know bout MGT but it does look nice....
Old 05-08-2006, 09:58 AM
Wide Open

ORIGINAL: meda2ni

Same here don't get WARHEAD....I've read so many bad thing about...how poorly design it is....
as a former owner of the warhead i can definatly say not to buy it. the design is very poor and the parts are substandard.
Old 05-08-2006, 10:23 AM
redfox03

yeah, stay away from the warhead. i've heard nothing but bad things about it also. i own an mgt 4.60, and it is awesome. very easy to work on too, has reverse, the two speed, and the reciver box comes out with only like 4 screws, diffs are easy to get to also. oh yeah, it pops wheelies, even in reverse. the savage x i heard is very good too, also easy to work on, this is going to be my next monster truck for sure. i had a tough time deciding between the savvy x and the mgt, both lhs's i go to stock parts for both. i liked the dual start on the monster gt, so when i dont feel like carrying a drill with me, i can use the pull start. you really can't go wrong with either truck though.
Old 05-08-2006, 11:12 AM
McFly505

As a former Warhead owner, I can tell you this, It is NOT a beginner truck. If you get the Warhead, plan on high $$$ maintenance and alot of downtime. Also plan on tearing it apart and rebuilding it, RIGHT OUT OF THE BOX. I think they have 5 yr olds assembling these things. The radio, transmission, engine, clutch, driveshafts and all the plastic parts, SUCK REAL BAD (pretty much, the whole truck SUX real bad).

I looked into a Savage X. I followed the thread on here and looked at them in person at the LHS. I had decided I wanted one until I saw the MGT in action. The Savage X has it's own share of problems, (like any truck does).

I bought the MGT. Here are my complaints. (pretty weak list, IMO)

1. Tires have a little too much sidewall flex. ( They are 7" tall)
2. The springs are a little soft for this big of a truck.

Thats it. No problems with the engine, tranny, clutch, radio, steering, diffs, plastic, etc. (Eat that, DURATRAX )

I am almost to the 5 gallon mark on my MGT.

No regrets.

Get the MGT.

Scott
Old 05-08-2006, 11:46 AM
redfox03

oh yeah, here's another small prob i read on the mgt. the shock caps seem to pop off on hard landings. but hasn't happened to me yet. truck is pretty strong.
Old 05-10-2006, 12:47 AM
dan_the_rcman

Does the savage x come with a 2channel or 3 channel radio because i could always just put the reverse module on but i dont want to have to buy a new radio
Old 05-14-2006, 05:46 PM
evader74

I have an MGT so I'd say get it
Old 05-14-2006, 06:20 PM
dustin7837

The savage is definately tough, but isn't that good for any racing or high speeds even with different sheels/tires.
The MGT is a great all arounder once you put on lower profile tires.
Old 05-15-2006, 09:22 AM
huw4027

I agree with everybody, leave the Warhead alone. The MGT is a great truck which is easy to work on, runs well and has loads of hopups available and the parts can be had virtually anywhere.I have also heard good reviews about the Savage but it is not so easy to work on
and it is smaller that the MGT.
Get the MGT !![sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 05-15-2006, 05:13 PM
dracy69

the savage x is very easy to work on. the original savvy's were time consuming to work on, not difficult, time consuming. the new easy access stuff on the X is a huge improvment. a savage can be as much of a racer as almost any other truck out there. it comes down to the driver. a savage X with nubz will run with most stock trucks. and the nubz are pre-mounted and can bolt right on. the savage x comes with a 2-channel radio but there is an available reverse module with mixer.....a little more expensive but will work. the MGT doesnt have close to the parts availability or aftermaret support as the savage.
Old 05-15-2006, 08:50 PM
finalimpact

i have a warhead and a savage x.........only thing i like about the warhead is the amount of adjustability the suspension has. thats it nothing else and its completly underpowered and poo. ive never had a mgt so my vote goes for the x.
Old 05-15-2006, 11:00 PM
cruiserx

for the money??? the mgt is the best out of those choices..very good truck that comes with reverse standard...and a big .28 engine!!!
Old 05-20-2006, 02:39 AM
dan_the_rcman

Thanks for they replys guys, i have chosen to get the savage. What are typical parts that break? because i want to buy all the replacement spares and the truck at the same time. also what battery and charger should i use for the roto start and the reciver?
Old 05-21-2006, 09:48 PM
finalimpact

i had 2 spur gears strip out on me so far. im thinking of converting to the older style slipper set up since the x spur geears are on back order through most places. also alot of our rotostart 2's have been failing. seems the best way to go is converting to pull start. other than those 2 failures i havnt had a single problem out of anything else.
Old 05-21-2006, 09:51 PM
FE_Chris
My Feedback: (2)

I would get ANYTHING BUT a warhead. That thing sucks so bad. Nothing but problems. I like the "anyone got a warhead" post, dozends of pages of people biitching about how bad it is. Just IMO. and yes, I owned one.
Old 05-21-2006, 10:13 PM
redfox03

if the rotostart fails, you can always use a cordless drill. put the torque on the lowest setting though, so that way it wont keep trying to turn over the engine if it's flooded. worked on my mt 2 and works on my mgt. well mgt has no actual rotostart, you just put the supplied bit in a drill.
Old 05-21-2006, 10:17 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: dan_the_rcman

Thanks for they replys guys, i have chosen to get the savage. What are typical parts that break? because i want to buy all the replacement spares and the truck at the same time. also what battery and charger should i use for the roto start and the reciver?
FIRST thing you want to do:

before you even think about starting your Savage, set your gear mesh, and loctite every screw that threads into metal.

aside from that, and the crappy stock servos, you'll be happy with it. I lvoe the hell outta mine
Old 05-22-2006, 12:45 AM
dan_the_rcman

Thanks for the replys so far.
This may sound stupid but what do you mean when you say set your gear mesh? also what is a good gear ratio that will alow me to pop a wheely on the pavement?
So far the parts and accesories im ordering along with it include:

-Dura Trax Failsafe
-Dura Trax Temp gauge
-Motosaver air filter + spare elements
-HPI saftey engine stop system
-HPI 5-Cell 6V 1200mAh Hump and charger
-Spare spur gears havnt decided which ones yet
-Steering servo- Hitec HS-625MG
and im thinking about the 3 speed aswell

Is there anything i should add to the list? im from Australia and my LHS does not have and spare parts for the savage so if i need them they will have to be shipped so i wanna get them all in one go to save time and money.

Thanks 4 the help guys!
Old 05-22-2006, 01:10 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Decided on Savage X, now what spares?

the X will wheelie bone stock. you should also upgrade to a set of good aluminum clutch shoes and 1.0mm springs and it'll wheelie with the optional 18t clutchbell.
Old 05-22-2006, 01:29 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Definitely get the 3-speed if you're already thinking about it.

One thing lots of people seem to complain about is the brakes, so get the dual-disc set-up.

If you want to be REALLY safe you could get some shims and silicone lube for the diffs - seems to be a good idea for insurance in the future. But I have no idea how to do it - that's just what some other people have said.

After-run oil, air filter oil, maybe a couple things of shock oil of different weights..

As far as the spur gear, at the moment there's only a 49t available for the X-style spur. Something I would recommend - and have done myself - is ordering the parts for the old Savage spur set-up(the slipper and so on - don't know the part numbers off hand - maybe somebody here does, or ask the shop you're ordering from..) I don't think it costs that much, but as you know the X has some pretty major SG issues - and I anyway am not so sure it's just a newb thing. So some people have been switching back to the old style. Then too you have choices of size, etc..(52 for harder accelleration, more wheelies, etc.., for ex..)

Don't forget - several extra glow-plugs!.. And I didn't see the basic stuff on your list either, like a glow-ignitor + charger or 7.2V battery for the rotostart on your list either.

Good luck.

And oh yeah, tighten up some black zip-ties around the bumper posts. HPI had a major design brain fart here, so on bending the pins can fall out. There are also some pins on the upper right corners of the chassis plates that fall out easily. I just put black electrical tape over them to start(haven't run my X yet..), but there may be some more elegant solution..
Old 05-22-2006, 03:33 AM
LivingLegend

i got a savage not too long ago and so far i have put almost a gallon throught it and the only broken part is one spur gear because i didnt check the gear mesh from factory. you might also want to consider the dual stainless brake kit if you like to stop because it dosent stop without it. as far as some people saying it has weak servos i dont know what your complaining about, it turns just fine for me and i dont really see the point. just order the basics maby 2 extra spur gears, 2 extra glow plugs and the brake upgrade and you should be good to go.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.