Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Monster Truck Advice

Old 05-11-2006, 11:17 AM
Bad_Robot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Monster Truck Advice

I am planning on purchasing a new, (well my first monster truck), and after a bit of research on different models and manufacturers, 2 trucks seem to stand out for me above the rest. As I will be just messing around with the truck, and am only planning to spend around £320 on a RTR truck, the Thunder Tiger MTA4 S28, and the Associated Monster GT 4.6 both seem like good solid trucks for my needs. I am not necessarily a begginer in Nitro RC, as I have owned and built up 3/4 buggies in the past, but have never got round to purchasing a truck. Which truck out of the 2 mentioned, or any other truck for that matter do you recomend, for a first time Monster truck user and for just bashing about and having a bit of fun. Thanks.
Old 05-11-2006, 11:26 AM
snowbl!nd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Monster Truck Advice

This should make the decision slightly easier...

The two trucks you listed are the same. Completely and utterly identical chassis, suspension & drivetrain. The ONLY differences between the two are the paint jobs on the shell and the box. The truck was a joint venture between the two compaines (Thunder Tiger and Associated) and they each released their own version.

I own a Thunder Tiger MT-A4 with the original .21 engine and it is a great truck. Tough, fast, easy to work on. Couldn't be more pleased with it.

Try reading this thread... http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4050020/tm.htm
Old 05-11-2006, 11:26 AM
shoebag_ape

those 2 are exactly the same (EXACTLY) the truck was a joint venture between associated and thunder tiger execpt they decided 2 sell it under their own names
Old 05-11-2006, 01:25 PM
Bad_Robot

Thanks guys.
Old 05-11-2006, 03:13 PM
RCaeroguy
My Feedback: (4)

I was looking at the MGT 4.6 at first but deep down I thought I've always wanted a Savage. When I went to my very well known and trusted RC hobby shop, they agreeed that the Savage is way more machine than the MGT. Since it wouldn't have taken much persuasion to begin with I got the Savage X. Since it's a new rev of the old Savages, its not without it's small growing pains. I have been more than happy with it! I'm glad I got it over the MGT.
Old 05-11-2006, 03:16 PM
snowbl!nd

ORIGINAL: RCaeroguy

I was looking at the MGT 4.6 at first but deep down I thought I've always wanted a Savage. When I went to my very well known and trusted RC hobby shop, they agreeed that the Savage is way more machine than the MGT. Since it wouldn't have taken much persuasion to begin with I got the Savage X. Since it's a new rev of the old Savages, its not without it's small growing pains. I have been more than happy with it! I'm glad I got it over the MGT.
I bet you wouldn't be saying that if you'd bought the MGT!

Oh well, to each his own.
Old 05-11-2006, 03:18 PM
binaryterror

I have been more than happy with it! I'm glad I got it over the MGT.
How can you state something so wrong? Have you driven an MGT since owning a Savage? Have you worked on one to compare. Your comment only remains to you being happy about buying the Savage X, not that it is any better than an MGT.

I'm not saying either one is better, but the user sounds set on the truck. Your comment is not needed since he's not asking about a Savage.
Old 05-11-2006, 03:18 PM
RCaeroguy

Some up here have had problems with their Roto-Start 2, I have had none, zero, nada, ziltch...some up here have had problems with their spur gears, I just swapped mine out for the hardened steel one. Personal preference but some up here are still running the original plastic spur.
Old 05-11-2006, 03:21 PM
RCaeroguy

ORIGINAL: binaryterror

I have been more than happy with it! I'm glad I got it over the MGT.
How can you state something so wrong? Have you driven an MGT since owning a Savage? Have you worked on one to compare. Your comment only remains to you being happy about buying the Savage X, not that it is any better than an MGT.

I'm not saying either one is better, but the user sounds set on the truck. Your comment is not needed since he's not asking about a Savage.
I guess what I didn't state in my original post was since I've raced the Savage, I've been more impressed with it over the MGT's I've seen. I shouldn't have made it sound like it's better than the MGT just that I've liked it's performance over the MGTs I've raced.

Comments are worth what they're worth. Don't get all bent out of shape. Heaven forbid someone make an informed opinion about their purchase. Someone owns one kind of vehicle and that automatically makes it better than anyone elses. If he's set on the MGT then get it.
Old 05-11-2006, 03:24 PM
snowbl!nd

I guess what I didn't state in my original post was since I've raced the Savage, I've more impressed with it over the MGT's I've seen. I shouldn't have made it sound like it's better than the MGT just that I've liked it's performance over the MGTs I've raced.
We find the opposite at our track - even heavily modded Savages with lower C of G tvp's don't handle as well as the MGT's. This is often reflected in the results, but it is apparent when watching the trucks.

Old 05-11-2006, 03:27 PM
RCaeroguy

ORIGINAL: snowbl!nd

I bet you wouldn't be saying that if you'd bought the MGT!

Oh well, to each his own.
You're probably right. I like all of the vehicles I've owned.
Old 05-11-2006, 03:30 PM
snowbl!nd

That's true. If i'd bought a Savage then i'd probably be plugging that right now.
Old 05-12-2006, 02:04 AM
Bad_Robot

Even if the Savage is a better truck, it seems to be the truck everyone wants and has. I'd rather have something different and a little more uncommon. Just my opinion.
Old 05-12-2006, 02:09 AM
Gear Box Models

ORIGINAL: Bad_Robot

Even if the Savage is a better truck, it seems to be the truck everyone wants and has. I'd rather have something different and a little more uncommon. Just my opinion.
CEN Genesis 46 / Nemesis 7.7. very simply. Veyr impressive performance, bashing and racing. Defintely better than Savage and MGT... its on par with the LST
Old 05-12-2006, 06:14 AM
snowbl!nd

Never seen a Nemesis, but from what i've seen of the Genesis i disagree. It's big, and that's just about all it's got going for it.

But that's just my opinion...
Old 05-12-2006, 06:31 AM
Bad_Robot

I agree, I want a 1/8th scale, but i've seen the genesis in a shop window and its just far to big for what i'll be using it for. Is probable to loud aswell as it has a 5hp engine.
Old 05-12-2006, 06:34 AM
snowbl!nd

Suprisingly not, it's more "grumbly" sounding - nowhere near as loud as a MGT or Savage.
Old 05-12-2006, 07:20 AM
Bad_Robot

Even so, its just huge. I'll probably end up killing someone with it or something.
Old 05-12-2006, 09:28 AM
RCaeroguy

I just might have to get a MGT of my own to make a fair comparison. Wouldn't that be horrible? Owning more than one make and model monster. I'm willing to give it a shot.
Old 05-12-2006, 11:15 AM
huw4027

I am still shocked that a "well known hobby shop" as you put it would say that a Savage is
"way better" than a MGT . Be very careful who you take advice from. [X(]
Old 05-12-2006, 12:00 PM
McFly505

These kind of threads always make me laugh, as it usually turns into a 'my truck is better than the rest' argument.

I currently have 3 trucks. A T Maxx, E Maxx, and the MGT 4.60SE. I am a former Warhead owner as well. That being said, my experience with nitro MT's is a bit limited.

I like my T Maxx. The E Maxx is my Wife's truck and it's okay, but I i get bored with it pretty quickly. I bought the Warhead for my Daughter for her 13th birthday and had nothing but problems with it. The only credit I can give the Warhead is that it was the most stable, almost refusing to roll over in turns. Then I bought the MGT as a Warhead replacement and couldn't be happier. My daughter stays ticked off at me because when I go out to 'play', I usually grab the MGT, instead of my T Maxx. Out of the box, IMO, it has got to be one of the toughest trucks on the market. I have launched it 10 feet in the air, ran into stuff at full throttle, rolled it, slammed it into the back wall of my garage(airborn slam, full throttle launch, 8-9 feet in the air), landed on the roof way too many times to count and it comes back for more, EVERY TIME. The stock engine is super easy to tune and plenty powerful (wheelies? no problem)

Out of the box, the only changes I made were, a Venom 6v Rx pack and VFS failsafe and a fuel filter, along with the channel 4 battery mod.(move the battery connector to the channel 4 slot on the reciever-it gives 6v power to the servos)

Broken parts? 1 front bumper, 1 screw (rear tie rod) and the hex starter cup on the back of the engine came off. (over 4 gallons on it so far)

I like it so much that I'm going to get another one. I gave serious consideration to the Savage X, the Revo 3.3, and even another Warhead(heavily modified, of course). I have driven the Savage X and I do think it's a decent truck, but not any better/faster than the MGT. I think the MGT is more stable in turns, even with the stock tires.

There is my $.02

Scott
Old 05-12-2006, 12:52 PM
dustin7837
My Feedback: (1)

They are both good trucks. I've never owned the MGT but i have driven one. I think the MGT definately handles better than the savage, but I dont think it's as durable. No that its not durable, jus that as far as taking hits, the Savage line is second to none IMO.
As far as the Nemesis and Genesis not being good racers...
In the US gas championships recently, 1st place went to CEN with the Genesis, and 2nd place went to CEN with the Nemesis. Plus the Nemesis took Top Qualifier.

So I dont know how anyone can say they are not good racers as the trucks were almost completely stock...
Old 05-12-2006, 12:59 PM
binaryterror

See thats why I stepped in and said lets not recommend other trucks. Bad_Robot's intent was to learn about the TTR and AE offerings, which happen to be the same truck. Telling him other trucks are better doesn't help him. To me the guy has a made up mind and honestly the MGT is a great truck, there is no reason to say its not.

Once you start entering in other trucks this thread turns into a flame war of "My trucks better, because of blah blah blah..."
Old 05-12-2006, 03:06 PM
Bad_Robot

I agree the Genesis is a good truck if it won the Gas Championship, but I wont be entering the US gas championship any time soon. The Genesis seems more of a competition truck if anything. Thanks for the advise, but I think I'll stick with The TTR MTA4 A28 as from what I've heard, its the perfect truck for my needs.
Old 05-12-2006, 04:11 PM
dustin7837
My Feedback: (1)

You'll be very happy wtih it

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.