Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

new to rc's, what i am i looking for?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

new to rc's, what i am i looking for?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2006, 09:11 AM
800screws

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new to rc's, what i am i looking for?

i just bought a rc10gt, and already want to move up in the world. i would like to race on a track and also run around the house with it. what should i look at. i've been reading tons of posts on this forum. lst 2, revo, st-s, inferno mp 7.5, x1 crt or the mt2? i kinda want a 1/8, but if the mt2 18ss is as good as everyone says, then i would cost less in the long run for that. also i would rather have a rtr but i'm not limited to them... looking to spend around $500.
Old 06-04-2006, 05:29 PM
MaxxMan13

Default RE: new to rc's, what i am i looking for?

OK now if you are looking for a truggy then mt2 18ss is a good choice, i am pretty sure that they only come has a kit but like you said that is ok. Now monster trucks are fun and are pretty fast too and the most popular/good tucks right now i would have to say are: Revo 3.3, LST2, and Savage X now don't get me wrong their are many more these are just whats !QUOT!hot!QUOT! right now. And they are all good bashers. The revo, lst2 are good at the track and the savage is more of a basher then racer. The LSt2 and revo are fun to work on but the savage is kinda a pain till you get used to it. Now for prices, the revo 3.3: 530, LST2:650,and savage X:450. now you can get different versions of each truck most are about 50-100 apart. now the LSTs are out of your price range so it is between the savage and the revo know the revo 2.5 is about 470 and their is not that much changed between models you can see at traxxas.com. savage x is under your price range at 450 but if you are looking for a good truck at the track and when jumping i would go with the revo. Yes the savage is more durable but with little money the revo can be just as durable. But the revo is much quicker then the Savage and has much better handling. So for the all around package i would go with the revo. I just got a revo after i sold my savage and it up rpm arms on it: 50 and now i can basher just as good or better then a savage but when i get on the track it is no contest, i smoke em.
Old 06-04-2006, 05:43 PM
bauerbach

there is now the losi aftershock at 400.

all prices quoted are correct retail, but like, you can get LST2s any day of the week for 570. sometimes even less. revo 3.3 probably wont be cheaper yet, since its so new. but the revo 2.5 is under 500 I believe; and deals can be had.
Old 06-04-2006, 05:55 PM
MaxxMan13

yea i knew i was missing that aftershock. and yes you can find deals and my next truck is going to be a lst2 but i would still say get a revo. all around great truck!
Old 06-04-2006, 06:06 PM
800screws

i can go the extra if the lst 2 is worth it? do u have to dump alot of money into them to make them track worthy? don't they sit real high? i feel like a truggy is more of the way to go except that they are pushed as track only...
Old 06-04-2006, 06:53 PM
bauerbach

an LST2 is 100% race ready out of the box.

so is a revo I believe.

both of course are far from bulletproof, neither has any glaring, "dont even think of starting it till you do this, this, and this" but at the same time, there are some very valuable upgrades to the LST. performance kinds of things, like a front only conversion, and a longer steering link. things that make it perform better.

LST2 sits medium... its not truggy low, but its low enough that it has some of the best handling around; specially when you consider its weight, it manages to match the lighter trucks in the corners, but then benefits from the mass when it comes to jumps and rough terrain.

a revo and LST2 is 100% drivers race on the track. there is no question.

off the track, the LST2 has the mammoth shocks and huge tires that allow it to do some things that may make a revo cry. at the same time, the revo has the weight advantage for zipping around, the LST is large, and it does everything with dominance, you have to drive the LST, it isnt as forgiving as something smaller and zippier.
Old 06-04-2006, 07:22 PM
badboy2
My Feedback: (13)

isnt it mt2 is just a stadium truck?for a truggy id go with lsp or crt,for monsters ill go with lst,mgt or savage
Old 06-04-2006, 08:18 PM
MaxxMan13

Yes the revo comes race ready. And i have two this to say to bauerbach first if you looked at the Team Losi forms then you woulds see that their are some things you need too do to the LST2 before racing it. If you do not take out and loctite all metal to metal screws then you are going to end up with half your truck 20 feet behind you on the track its nothing huge but some thing you need to be aware of! and to the comment you made earlier !QUOT!the LST2 has the mammoth shocks and huge tires that allow it to do some things that may make a revo cry!QUOT! thats pretty funny seeing how with new 5 dollar springs and some new shock oil the revo has just has tuff or tougher suspension. And yes the LST2 has pretty good handling but nothing compared to the the revo. Just wanted to get that straight. But for 800screws if you want to spend the extra too get the LST2 then go for it, it is a great truck but if you get the revo then you can also afford to get some stuff for it like i said rpm arms new springs and shock oil and dominate at the track. so if you want a 1/8 go with the LST2 and if you want a 1/10 then get a revo.
Old 06-04-2006, 09:03 PM
Timmahh
Banned

Check out CEN. very good products...
Timmahh
Old 06-04-2006, 09:09 PM
MaxxMan13

Yes i agree with Timmahh look at cen but not a lot of hobby shops carry cen parts.
Old 06-04-2006, 09:21 PM
bauerbach

sorry, wasnt figuring general prep. thought that was apparent. I was only talking aftermarket parts to fix some glaring area that would take you out of the race in the first qualifier.

some loctite is needed. if thats at all a concern, this may not be a good hobby for you.

as for suspension. the LST suspension is as or more revolutionary than the revo. while the revo went the F1 style(intriguing to see in action, but it is a suspension designed for flat surfaces) the LST replaced the 8 shocks with 4, and savage and tmaxx owners are now trying to integrate them into their trucks(somewhat for the benefits of the shocks, but also for the ease of maintaining 4 vs 8 shocks)

I reccomend the OP go to the track and check it out. the LST suspension is far more supple. we'll leave it as debatable. but of all the revos strong points, which Ill be the first to say there are many, Id take the ride of the LST any day of the week.

check out your track for cen, make sure they arent a stickler for the rules. some tracks dont like its engine; or will put you in a higher class such as the truggies, where it will get destroyed, as any MT would.
Old 06-04-2006, 09:44 PM
MaxxMan13

I didn't think the loctite was a big deal but a newbie to the hobby does need to know that stuff or he will end up wasting a lot of money. And yes the LST shocks are nice but nothing to make a "revo cry" lol!
Old 06-05-2006, 07:16 PM
800screws

thanks guys, good info
Old 06-05-2006, 10:41 PM
2DMaxLST!!

[link=http://www.dennisnadams.com/tmaxx/LST/Can't%20Stop_3.wmv]Video: Archive footage of my LST1 vs some Revo's the LST2 is much better...[/link]

The reason I am posting this is the big jump at about the 2min48sec mark...
Old 06-05-2006, 10:50 PM
2DMaxLST!!

Wow, I had not watched that for a few months, my setup is so much better now!!! Revo's with the extened chassis handle the rough stuff on the track a lot better also. On a rough track, or a track with a couple of months since a fresh roll job it really was no contest but they are getting better now!!

Old 06-10-2006, 06:06 PM
Savage_OWNS

i have an mt2 and it is hard as hell to find good support for new parts for it so i got a savage. get the savage....trust me.
Old 06-10-2006, 06:29 PM
bauerbach

savage is a great basher. but just outclassed on the track at this point in time.
Old 06-12-2006, 12:57 PM
aj10803

ORIGINAL: 2DMaxLST!!

[link=http://www.dennisnadams.com/tmaxx/LST/Can't%20Stop_3.wmv]Video: Archive footage of my LST1 vs some Revo's the LST2 is much better...[/link]

The reason I am posting this is the big jump at about the 2min48sec mark...
C'mon all that showed was driver skill you were just a better driver than those revo drivers. how about giving us a video that shows what you can do with a revo and a video with what you can do with LST.
Old 06-12-2006, 03:12 PM
RCtruckRacer

That is exactly what he did. EVERYTHING boils down to driver skill, at least on the track. A really good driver can take a stock Savage 25 and win at a club race against anything - LST, REVO, CEN... it wont matter what the truck is. And as far as racing a Savage goes, the LCG kit from GPM with nova shock towers, maximizer dif's etc makes the Savy very race worthy.

My recommendation is to get a truck that one of your club's better racers already has. That will give you someone who's brain you can pick for setup tips, as well as someone who might have a spare part if you need it. At my club, that would mean a Revo, LST or Savage in MT. Or a Kyosho, LSP, or Jammin in Truggy. 1/8th scale is wide open. We have around 20 guys in that class with everything from cheapo OFNA's to the new 777's and everything in between.

If you can afford to wait and save up some money, you will be much better off. Then you can buy a quality kit like the 777 or Jammin. Once you have built a few trucks, it is easier to appreciate the quality that goes into the higher end trucks. For my 1/8 scale, I ended up with what I consider to be one of the best for quality to price ratio: The Thunder Tiger EB4 S3. It's $500 for the kit, then you need servos, a radio, tires and an engine. That put the total well over $1000, but I was very glad I waited until I could afford one of the better kits. I have far fewer breakdowns than most RTR buggies. In fact, it is the most durable RC I have ever owned.

I will always buy a kit over an RTR when possible. I can put one together far better than some assembly line boob who's having a bad day and just wants to go home. Also RTR's come with inexpensive/lower quality servos, engines etc. With a kit, I can put in what I want, rather than having to upgrade and pay for something that I don't want or need. If you are going to race an RTR, you'll be spending a good amount of cash in upgrades. I have less than $150 in upgrades to my TTR, but my LST has about $800 (or more) in upgrades! Something to think about if you are going to race competitively.
Old 06-12-2006, 03:15 PM
Timmahh
Banned

price varries by location except online, locally i have 4 lhs. revos are from 500 - 570 between then, losi is 590 - 740. between them no one has aftershock in. 2 have losi s and SOME parts for them and some parts for the HPI, but ALL carry a full line of Revo parts and hop ups on the shelf. it just seems wtih traxxas' background and coverage, you can get them at the barber shop on the corner...
Timmahh