Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

custom gasser 1/8 mt need help

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2006, 07:08 PM
LaRgEsCaLeRaCeR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default custom gasser 1/8 mt need help

hey all im currently building a gasser after many headaches with nitro just need a little(well actually after listing all of this i realized its a lot) help i have the frame already built i just need some input on a few things i realize that my project is rare in this section and more common in the large scale section but its not a large scale but anyways some info that i need to know
1) what kind of engine i need to go with hopefully this truck will be able to go around 50 mph im not sure how much my frame weighs but its no more than 10lbs
2)how should i go about making a suspension im obviously going to buy the shocks but im talking about the a-arms and other suspension components
3)are there any nitro trucks out there that i can pull axles off of to put in my truck because i dont really feel like messing with that
4)transmission again if there are any nitro trucks that would be able to handle the gas engine ideally with reverse otherwise give me some ideas
5)radio im at a total loss im guessing im going to need two or three servos
6)brakes(who needs them right? full throttle full-time should be my motto but unfortunately there are trees where im going to be driving) i used to have an old tmaxx and the brake was on the driveshaft i think but cant really remember

i understand these are a lot of questions but keep in mind i am a newb and my only truck owned was a tmaxx im not trying to build a race truck by any means the trucks main purpose is a)give me something to do with my summer b) drive at my hunting camp its just something im going to mess around with and drive down the trails and stuff thanks for all the info
Old 06-14-2006, 07:20 PM
LaRgEsCaLeRaCeR

Default RE: custom gasser 1/8 mt need help

ok after reading my post over i realized it would be soo much easier to just dump my frame and if there any nitros with all steel parts jsut do a conversion on that so if there are any nitros out there that are all steel parts i thiknk thaats what i should aim for if you have aim you can im me at truk9889 otherwise just post a reply with any info you got
thanks
Old 06-15-2006, 07:23 AM
Dil

if you go to buy an all steel nitro truck its gona be damm expensive, then y dont you buy a duratrax firehammer its cheap and works as well, its 900$ at tower RTR

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...=LXGMP7**&P=ML
Old 06-15-2006, 09:36 AM
binaryterror

Far cheaper to buy an existing 1/5th scale Gas powered than it is to custom or conversion one.
Old 06-15-2006, 12:20 PM
ZaH 310

hes not building a 1/5th scale hes building a regular 1/8th.
Old 06-15-2006, 01:24 PM
riffrafff

There's barely room for stuff in a nitro 1/8 scale truck...where's that big ol' gas engine and tank going to go? Maybe a trailer with a PTO...
Old 06-15-2006, 03:31 PM
Timmahh
Banned

maybe this will inspire you a bit.

Build On Brother. I shelfed my Tmaxx gasser build until worse weather. for obvious reasons. also got my pieces for the Raptor. so i ll have that ready again SOON>
Timmahh
Old 06-15-2006, 04:05 PM
LaRgEsCaLeRaCeR

those are awesome pics and why i want to do this let me know how your tmaxx gasser project goes because this may be the path i need to go down
Old 06-15-2006, 06:53 PM
LaRgEsCaLeRaCeR

i dont have $1000 i have only about $500 i figure i can pick up a used cen genesis (i only pick this nitro becuase it has a big engine in it stock but if you think theres a better truck for this project then by all means let me know) for abuot $250 then that leaves the other half for all the parts i can get an engine from a weedwacker at home depot for like $80 im not sure what brand it is or what kind of displacement it has but it sounds pretty sweet on the account of the price tag so then that leaves me with 170 any suggestions of where i should spend this
Old 06-16-2006, 07:23 PM
Timmahh
Banned

the engine that come in the Baja runs about 170ish. ready, no pipe. but a can exhaust.
my bb maxx builds issue was i was useing a none clutch 25cc motor, so i have to figure a way to use the stock shaft with flywheel/ clutch and bell, which i have done, but like i said with great weather, im not sticking inside.lol if you look for posts by DrHonda. hes got a great thread with like 40pages of posts..all on Tmaxx gasser builds. very good info. i want to attempt to leave everything in a stock area, and its REALLY TIGHT. but ifyou follow DRHs threads, he relocates it all, so it can/will work, i just hoped to keep 4WD and the 2 speed tranny.
TImmahh
Old 06-16-2006, 07:28 PM
LaRgEsCaLeRaCeR

yeah i saw drh thread and also saw the posts where he said he had broken another part thats why i wanted to do this on a cen genesis as most of these parts are made of steel
Old 06-16-2006, 08:49 PM
LaRgEsCaLeRaCeR

hey timmah i would prob take that baja off your hands for about $500
Old 06-17-2006, 02:23 AM
Timmahh
Banned

NOT gimme triple that and we can talk..
Old 06-17-2006, 09:33 AM
LaRgEsCaLeRaCeR

deal how much do you think your tmaxser project is going t o cost you total minus original price of the truck i.e if ihad a stock tmaxx and wanted to do what you are going to do
Old 06-17-2006, 01:58 PM
Timmahh
Banned

when i sat down i figured price for stuff if i had to buy it. though i had most already.. but it broke down to bb chassis kit. 70. 40 for engine, stock Tmaxx tranny, bulks, A's mip drives ect aluminum stock to work with 30.00 yadda i figured total if i bought it all about 500 -700.00 depending. but i estimate total cost as i had a good amount of stuff to use for the mock up build at new 300.00. but its going to take some keen modding to make a stock nitro clutch work, but i think i figured it out. more later.
Timmahh
Old 06-17-2006, 02:13 PM
LaRgEsCaLeRaCeR

cool keep me posted
Old 11-17-2006, 03:03 PM
fathersonfab

LaRgEsCaLeRaCeR ,

I haven't read this thread all the way through, but FYI, steel parts like gears, etc, are available for the t-maxx through robinbson racing...
Old 11-17-2006, 03:54 PM
mattnin

ORIGINAL: binaryterror

Far cheaper to buy an existing 1/5th scale Gas powered than it is to custom or conversion one.
How would you know, have you ever custom built a vehicle?

To the original poster, if you have all the tools already, you can fabricate a vehicle for a decent price. You mentioned t-maxx for its brake. Get the transmission and brake assembly. That is about a $70 cost right there. Acquire front and rear diffs off ebay, about $30. Get revo driveshafts which is about another $20 off ebay, with knuckles another $30 dollars. Fabricate your a-arms out of steel tubing, or just make them using maxx parts, but you will need the bulkhead if you are going that route. You can learn alot about fabricating your own parts by looking at www.rccrawler.com

Also you can look in my gallery and see a truck where I fab'd the suspension.