Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Buying Used .... Savage Update

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2006, 12:02 AM
DahlELama

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying Used .... Savage Update

This is realy an update to an earlier post that I made when I first bought this used Savage at a LHS. Lots of lessons learned about how I would inspect another one if I buy used again. Beware buying used... but if you get a good deal like I still feel I did, and you arent afraid of digging in and taking one apart and dumping some more cash in.... a used one can be a good way to go.

For $250 clams I started with the used Savage with the following upgrades:

Picco .26 'Outlaw' Big Block http://www.ofna.com/eng-picco-26.html
HPI 3 Speed transmission (10% lower first gear, 10% higher top gear)
HPI Blue 'Firm' Shock Springs

After running it around, I found out quickly that this was a used and abused little roach, So, I had to invest in some new parts:

Brake was wasted. Replaced with stainless steel dual disc setup
Clutch was wasted. Replaced with HPI 3 Shoe, new Dynamite Bearings, and Clutch Bell
Rollbar was tweaked. Replaced with Purple Annodized rollbar
New Engine Plate and chassis mounts
One wheel hub rounded out. Replaced with a full new set of HPI 6 spoke wheels and Pro-Line Bow Tie Tires
Installed Venom Failsafe to protect against runaways.
Diff Cups beat out: Replaced with new stock
Shocks - Well these are really just fine just needed rebuilds. So I bought a full set of Purple anodized aluminum units. Vanden Plas....
Wasted the steering servo. Replaced with Ultra-Torque HiTec with all metal gears
Transmission case stripped out where brakes mount. Replaced case and rebuilt tranny
Also installed a billet cam style servo saver to protect the new high zoot steering servo
Installed HPI Mega Travel drivelines front and rear (I've already broken one of these. I think they are junk)
Integy Wheelie Bar (hasnt arrived yet)
Integy Chassis Braces (hasnt arrived yet)
RDLogics Twin Rear Exhaust (hasnt arrived yet)

Now that it is all back together and tuned up.... Wheelies with a blip of the throttle. Stops so hard it will flip over if not careful with the brakes. Steering is really fast and will turn lock to lock just sitting on the ground.

It's been so fun I bought a Sportwerks Mayhem off of eBay... fired it up and the clutch was wasted.

Here she is now....