Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

Savage X VS. Savage LTD ED. VS. LST2

Community
Search
Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Savage X VS. Savage LTD ED. VS. LST2

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2006, 01:49 AM
MaxxMan13

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Savage X VS. Savage LTD ED. VS. LST2

Ok now I have a revo right now and i love it, i was using it for bashing but there has been a track built close to me so i am turning it into a racer and am looking for a new basher. So i had a bad experience with a savage 25 a long time ago. It was very picky. It was a pain to start and it just kept getting on my nerves! Now I did like the design and now that i am back on the market i have seen the savage X and the LTD ED. NOW you might be like well if he hated his 25 then why would he like the others. Well i thought maybe that it was just that savage that had a problem or if they are all like that. And i have heard a lot about the savage x but i do not like the new look. Does it improve the truck a lot or is it just a new look? And i do like the look of the LTD ED. so it the new design of the X worth it or is the LTD ED. good? And I have seen a lot about the LST2. Is it as good as i have heard. My friend has one and he used my jump (same one i use with my revo) and he busted an arm and a shock tower. Now is that just bad luck or is the LST2 not as strong as i have heard. So to rap this thing up, IS the Savage X new design work or is the LTD ED. just as good and is the LST2 worth the extra money?
Old 06-22-2006, 02:25 AM
Vespah

Default RE: Savage X VS. Savage LTD ED. VS. LST2

I have a 25, a X and the LST2. I can say the X is real easy to work on, the design is over all better then the 25 but still has its flaws like the pins that hold the arms in working them selves out. The X has alot more suspension adjustments available and some parts from the other Savages are interchangable. They switched to right hand threads on the wheels so they require loctite. It takes some doing but I have busted a arm on it, its short and stubby so makes it a little tougher to break those areas since they arent hanging out in the open.The steering servo isnt the best for bashing. All in all though the X is definately a sturdy truck.

The LST2 is a real nice truck, the only issue I had with it was the plunger in the tank causing it to lose pressure. They also switched to right hand threads on the wheels and need loctite. LST2 has more power and top speed then the X, its huge in comparison to the X even though they are both 1/8th scales. I like the suspension and the dual servos for steering as well as the high and low range selector for the transmission and it comes with reverse although half the time I find myself walking all the way to it before I remember it has it, since none of my others have reverse. I have busted 3 arms on my LST2 but 2 were busted on a bad landing from a 30 foot vertical jump and the other was from a severe cartwheel. The radio it comes with is worth the extra money in my opinion. The LST2 lets it hang out and so the arms are the week points but it is a solid truck. Its also from my experience much easier to control in the air.

So both are nice, but if your going out for hardcore bashing then I would say the Savage. If you want the best of both bashing and speed then the LST2. I plan on replacing both the X and LST2 arms with the RPM ones as they break. It was a tough decision when I got mine, so I bought one then the other a month later, LOL.

I know that RCU did a review on the LST2, not sure about the X though. May want to look into them for some good tips on both if they did the X.

Good luck in deciding
Old 06-22-2006, 03:52 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You must have had bad luck with your 25, cuz my 25 - my first RC - has been so great and unproblematic that it's gotten me hooked in this hobby to the point of blatantly irresponsible spending..

I then got an X - I don't like it for a variety of reasons.. Haven't run it, trying to sell it.. Nuff said.

I then thought about getting an LST2, but read WAY too much about what needs to be upgraded from the start - so that in the end the price was just stupid - I mean, almost to the point of two Savages - once you get RPM arms, Dynamite engine brace, New Era Roll Bar - those apparently are the real MUSTS - and then for me I'd also need a new body and new wheels.. And suspiciously, most of the people who were telling me I ONLY needed the aforementioned things, also had carbon chassis plates, and lists with literally 20+ parts... Whether they were just personal preference hop-ups, or necessary replacements, simply wasn't clear..... I think the LST2 is sure to be the best performer - but at a cost..(I'm waiting for the LST3......)

If you want the ultimate out of the box basher though, my personal opinion is Savage LE all the way.. Some people like to say the NS25 is underpowered, but with the 3-speed, pipe, and Dirt Bonz it should be pretty damn fast - as in up there in LST2 territory.. Plus you get the OLD, proven, indisputable Savage toughness. The ONLY improvement of the X is easier diff access as far as I can see..(there may or may not be other disadantages as a matter of fact, but I'Ve kind of sworn to not talk about it..) But if you keep the stock engine that shouldn't be an issue.. If you must upgrade the engine, just throw in some alu diff cups and you'll be fine.. You said you like the look of it as well anyway - so go for it...
Old 06-22-2006, 07:40 AM
Chronic

I've got a Savage LE and an LST2. You can compare the trucks all day long and go back and forth with the pros and cons. I bought both of these MTs because I felt they are the best two on the market, hands down. You will end up with about the same amount of money in either one to really make them durable performers, so just pick the one you like the best.

The Savage needs better electronics throughout, and the LST needs to be beefed up. After that thyey both need the same amount of mods that you would do for any other truck in order to tailor it to your needs. I prefer the Savage, but picking the best one is almost impossible when all factors are considered.
Old 06-22-2006, 11:39 AM
badboy2
My Feedback: (13)

savage x ss is comin out or it on sale now on hs..u might wanna consider that .
Old 06-22-2006, 01:41 PM
MaxxMan13

whats HS
Old 06-22-2006, 02:58 PM
MaxxMan13

I have seen the X SS and i don't like it that much. After what you guy have told me i thought that i was going to buy a savage LE. But then i did a search and i was reading a lot and kept on seeing things like it takes like half a tank to warm up and doesn't run good for the first 15 Min's. And that the temps swing a lot. Is this true? I want a reliable and durable truck that is not a pain to start and run. Is the LE a good truck for me?
Old 06-22-2006, 03:06 PM
Vespah

I know the 4.1 fires right up, but yes it does seem to take a bit for it to warm up. As for fluxing temps, some have had the leaning issue at full or half tanks. The fix was getting a smaller tank.

I have the Hellfire and it has the 4.6 in it and it fires right up and runs great all day long. Im not sure if the SS 4.6 has the same problem as the 4.1 setup.
Old 06-22-2006, 03:22 PM
HerrSavage

From what I've heard there are very few, if any, more reliable, easy to tune, unproblematic engines than the Nitro Star 25 that comes on the Savage LE...

Believe it or not, I have personally NEVER touched the needles on my Savage 25. I had it broken in for me, and retuned by the same shop-guys after the winter.. Starts right up, one or two high speed passes then it's shifting fine, never gets too hot. I don't even think about the engine - except recently to notice that it seems to be stronger than ever now - at about 2 1/2 gallons.. It truly is a "set and forget" kind of engine..

I don't know where you read that stuff about swinging temps and 15 minutes, but it's bull - probably a Traxxas driver or something....

About the only negative thing you ever hear about the NS25 is that it's underpowered, but I suspect that that's often by guys who have nothing better to do in their free time than rebuild diffs and other drivetrain parts - which have been destroyed by overpowered, huge engines... Really, with the 3-speed and pipe, you'll be FAST. But because it's a(n older, original..) Savage, what's most important is, you'll be TOUGH, as well as reliable..

Trust me, if you're looking for good speed, excellent toughness and reliability, and you're not gonna be doing any competitive racing(that's for Revos and LST's - which with all the mods and stuff you'd need would cost twice as much - and still not be as tough as a Savage.. ), there simply isn't any better out of the box RTR MT out there than the Savage LE..
Old 06-22-2006, 03:46 PM
fantomas
My Feedback: (3)

I then thought about getting an LST2, but read WAY too much about what needs to be upgraded from the start - so that in the end the price was just stupid - I mean, almost to the point of two Savages - once you get RPM arms, Dynamite engine brace, New Era Roll Bar - those apparently are the real MUSTS - and then for me I'd also need a new body and new wheels.. And suspiciously, most of the people who were telling me I ONLY needed the aforementioned things, also had carbon chassis plates, and lists with literally 20+ parts... Whether they were just personal preference hop-ups, or necessary replacements, simply wasn't clear..... I think the LST2 is sure to be the best performer - but at a cost..(I'm waiting for the LST3......)
Wow!!!!

I have to tell you most of those things are not necessary

Here is what you need...

A machined engine/chassis brace
A set of aluminum knuckles (front only)
Blue loctite

Maybe 50.00 bucks in parts
Old 06-22-2006, 04:16 PM
MaxxMan13

Ok now I think i am going to get a savage LE because savages are known for being tough and thats what i want and i like the LE the best of all the savages. I do like that LST 2 but it is like 100 more then the savage LE. And my friend has one and he thinks it needs a little work to be a hardcore basher and i now that a savage can take on one hell of a beaten!
Old 06-22-2006, 04:18 PM
MaxxMan13

Does any body know were i can find any videos of the savage LE. Beside beatyourtruck.com
Old 06-22-2006, 04:38 PM
HerrSavage

There was a video here on rcuniverse with a Savage LE and an LST2 on a BMX track.. It was this video actually that first got me thinking of getting an LST2... Cuz LST2's I have to admit do fly very nicely.. I also like their size - looks a lot bigger than the Savage.. Though as I said, I did the research, and came to the same conclusion you seem to have. It's quite a bit more expensive to start with, and then it takes some more to make it bashworthy...(whether it's only 50 bucks or so I'm not so sure.. For me anyway, I was reckoning with more like €100 - €150, but including a new body as well to replace the IMO hideous stock one...) Part availability here in Germany was also a factor..

Anyway, I admit - I'm pretty opinionated. When you get involved with these kinds of discussions("what truck should I get?" etc..), whether giving or asking for advice, you always have to be clear about what YOU want. I personally want a truck for bashing - not racing, that is tough and reliable OUT OF THE BOX, ready to go.. Period. I don't want to spend 500+ bucks on a toy truck and then hear about RPM arms or ANY other hopups you need right-away to make it reasonably durable/bashable.. I want to keep fiddling ("wrenching")to a minimum - mostly because I live in a smallish flat with NO room for my trucks as it is, let alone room to work on them.. I want something to take out, have fun with, then throw it in the corner at the end of the day til next time. So based on that I feel fully confident in saying Savage is the way to go if you're at all similarly inclined..

Just wanted to point out that my opinions are just that - MY opinions. So take them as that, assess them for what they're worth, then make your own decision based on your particular situation and what you think is right for YOU..
Old 06-22-2006, 04:46 PM
MaxxMan13

Thanks PatrickBW we are pretty much on the same page right now!
Old 06-22-2006, 04:51 PM
Chronic

The Savage LE is(was?) $419 at Ultimatehobbies.com.... You better scoop one up fast if that's what you want, because they have been discontinued. I've seen a couple of used ones on Ebay lately and I think there is one listed in the RCU marketplace right now too.

You should really consider getting a stronger steering servo right from the get go with any of the Savages. You can then move the stock steering servo over to the throttle/brake position.
Old 06-22-2006, 06:03 PM
MaxxMan13

Thanks for showing me that. The only new one i could find was like 495. Now 420 free shipping is one hell of a deal the LST2 is like 200 more. Crazy. ordering it like ASAP!
Old 06-22-2006, 06:15 PM
Chronic

I think you can get a LST2 at Killer Hobbies or A Main Hobbies for around $580, just to let you know they can be found cheaper than the $625-$650 you see at alot of places.

My LE was listed for $495 on the LHS shelf, and I think I ended up giving him $480 for it. I bought my LST2 from my younger brother for $400, about two months after they spent $640 on it.
Old 06-22-2006, 08:51 PM
JSRacer

My LHS will sell the LST2 at $549. Even if it was $649 I think it's still worth it. The LST2 handles soooooo much better than any of the Savages. Savages are built like tanks and handle like them too. But Savages DO break. Are you remotely concerned with performance? If you are, I'd scrape up the extra $ and get the LST2, you'll be very happy you did.
Old 06-23-2006, 02:00 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

ORIGINAL: PatrickBW

You must have had bad luck with your 25, cuz my 25 - my first RC - has been so great and unproblematic that it's gotten me hooked in this hobby to the point of blatantly irresponsible spending..

I then got an X - I don't like it for a variety of reasons.. Haven't run it, trying to sell it.. Nuff said.
Notice he hasn't run it, so his opinion on anything Savage X-related is completely unfounded

the X is a solid truck, and easier to work on than the 25, and comes with a pretty good engine. the LST2's engine and radio gear...well...I bought the engine to stuff in my Savvy, and that right there made the Savage cost as much as the LST2, LOL.

basically, I like the Savage the best

the stock brakes and clutch on the Savage suck...but...it's an RTR, wth you want, a JR XS3? LOL. get it? get it?
Old 06-23-2006, 02:10 PM
HerrSavage

To say "completey unfounded" is somewhat harsh.... "Highly subjective and perhaps excessively negative because he spent so much damn money on one and then regretted it because of major doubts about quality.." I can accept.... There is some basis in fact out there though, which I won't go into cuz I've kind of promised not to anymore. I'll backstep though and say the X MIGHT be a good truck.
Old 06-27-2006, 08:18 AM
*Nitstklr72*

lst2 im going to get one and its going to be my first nitro there are no u must do the before u run ur truck unlike the savage
Old 06-27-2006, 08:30 AM
Chronic

ORIGINAL: Nitstklr72

lst2 im going to get one and its going to be my first nitro there are no u must do the before u run ur truck unlike the savage

Don't buy into the hype. It's an awesome truck and all, but it isn't perfect. Make sure you go around and locktite all of the grub screws or they will fall out, relocate the fuel filter and feed line to avoid vaporlock, and seal the tank and engine before you even start it too. If you plan on hitting any kicker ramps or or you have big jumps at the local track, you might as well go ahead and order some RPM arms, aluminum knuckles and hubs, and Lunsford links. Might as well get a new body too, because the stock one lasts about ten minutes.
Old 06-27-2006, 08:33 AM
*Nitstklr72*

some peoples lst2 are loctited out of the box the jumps at the track are small and im going to go off ramps bigger than kickers like 3 feet tall but that whont be often
Old 06-27-2006, 11:59 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie

ORIGINAL: Nitstklr72

LMFAO.

pre-run prep is a must with any RTR. if you honestly believe that, you're in for a nasty surprise
Old 06-27-2006, 12:01 PM
*Nitstklr72*

i mean loscktite and set gear mesh i know that u have to break it in

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.