Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

please help me pick my first truck, and im serious!

Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

please help me pick my first truck, and im serious!

Old 07-04-2006, 03:07 AM
meetball

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default please help me pick my first truck, and im serious!

ultimatehobbies has the sale, and its only good for the 4th so i need to get 1 truck soon.

Should I get the TNX - $309!!!!!!!! or the Savage X which is on sale for $399

Is the savage X worth the extra 90 bucks!? Im leaning more towards the TNX looks like a great truck and its cheap, but is savage x worth it? Im going to just play around and bash. I know for bashing - Savage, but some said the TNX is strong too... help guys, and after this whatever i will get, ill post it up later. Also the TNX includes the glowplug ignitor and such, while the savage only includes glowplug
Old 07-04-2006, 04:33 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: please help me pick my first truck, and im serious!

I don't know much about TNX's, but I think they're more for racing. For bashing around and having fun, definitely go Savage or MGT.

If you can find one, I'm sure you can still get a Savage 25 cheap. Only my opinion - just to be clear.. - but I still think it's got to be the best out of the box MT ever. Had a friend over from the States who wanted to see it run, and I didn't think it would start, and the diffs might be bad, etc.,, - but man it started right up and freakin' RIPPED all over the place - bone stock. Was wheelying even.. My amazement at the damn thing just never seems to end - amazement at how reliable, durable, and tough it is.. IT JUST KEEPS GOING - and I've never touched the needles or anything.

So some guys with Revos and LST2's will probably yell at me for not having had those trucks, but I doubt any of them have gone three gallons bone-ass-stock with no problems(other than a OWB after the second gallon.., but that was an easy fix and is just so neglible it's not worth mentioning - but now that I have I could also point out that some have said it probably crapped out cuz it's always been set too rich..)

And if you can find a Savage LE for $400, well, you just can't find something better than that.. Pounce on it and don't look back.

I'm being open about not knowing all THAT much - but really, with the MGT or Savage 25 (or LE), you simply CAN'T go wrong. Just take the leap and get one..
Old 07-04-2006, 02:24 PM
silverman1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Tnx is a great basher, easy to tune and rugged, I love mine. I love to hillclimb it, and bash it. It handles better than my savage. i do like the savage also but am more partial to the handling of the TNX.

The only difference in advantage or disadvantage would be parts if you buy parts from your local hobby shop. You will most likely have to mail order most parts for the TNX, but the savage parts will be more readily available for the savage at you local hobby shop. My local hobby shop is like 60 mi one way so I do all mail order.
Old 07-04-2006, 03:33 PM
Bash-m-up
My Feedback: (7)

I would go ahead and go with the Savage, it is a brute of a truck. Too the aftermarket is there for it all over the place plus it can handle just about any BB engine you want to put to it. On the other hand the TNX would be better for racing purposes than the Savage, but don't get me wrong, the Savage can race too with a little self modding and then go bashing around afterwards. That's just my 2 cents, I have had alot of trucks and the Savage is by far the best MT in my stable for the all around use. My CEN is the second only because I haven't got the updated axles, but that is the only truck I like more than the Savage, but it's 2nd because of the weak stock axles. Durability is alot like personality, it goes a long way when it comes to this hobby.
Old 07-04-2006, 06:06 PM
meetball

Guess what...... I just bought my first rc car! Well i did have a cheap radio shack one when i was like 7, but I got my first real rc car, and guess what it is.. TNX.

I actually had the Savage X on my cart and I finished all the billing information, then, tax showed up and the total was $430..... when i can geet it on ebay for $420 with shipping! So i said forget it, and I bought the TNX instead. It was $333 with tax and shipping! Good deal? Anyways, ill see when i can get to the lhs and buy a starterpack and nitro! I cant wait for it to get here and ill take pics... what hopups or upgrades are needed asap? Shocks? Are the e-maxx/tmaxx shocks better than the tnx ones and shhould i change them to those? Thanks guys
Old 07-05-2006, 01:55 PM
ven

Looking to up grade parts already... Hummmm you didn't save all that much money then did you. At least with the Savage X you wouldn't need to do anything.

Good luck and have fun..

ven
Old 07-06-2006, 10:15 PM
silverman1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The TNX is a awesome basher truck, just run it stock it will be fine.

Here is what you will need, a battery stick pack and a charger for it, to run your electric starter wand. A rechargable glow igniter is nice they last a very long time. Spare glow plugs. You might want to ask other tnx owners, what parts commonly go down on this truck, so you can keep them on hand. All trucks have a weak piece thats prone to wear quicker or break.

In my case its usually the driver that causes the breakage. Hitting poles etc
Old 07-08-2006, 01:46 AM
Fiegs

$333 is a great deal!I own a Revo 3.3 and i love racing it.I would have recommended the Revo but for the money you spent you got a great truck!!Good luck.
Old 07-08-2006, 07:24 PM
nitroracer20

meetball-Thats upsetting...you have a lhs and you dont buy a car from them. It might be a little more expensive, but when you have questions or need help whos going to help. I hope your lhs stocks tamiya parts or your going to be waiting everytime you break. However, have fun with your new car. Although, its a shame your lhs couldnt get the sale.