Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Savage 21 keeps going dead...

Old 12-30-2002, 09:39 PM
c_smith

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Savage 21 keeps going dead...

I've gotten my savage to start reliably, and I am almost throughthe 2nd tank of break-in. My problem is after running in an oval, like the manual says, for about 2 min or so, it goes dead. And it won't start back up until after it sits for about 5 min or so. When it goes dead, I notice that the fuel isn't going into the carb, and when I try to prime it, it still won't go into the carb. I read somewhere on here, and I think its called hydro-lock. Well, I have a heat gun and my engine isn't getting much above 225, maybe up to 250 or 265 max. I've tried riching out the fuel mixture to the point where it won't even hardly wind out. I f someone could tell what the problem is, please let me know. I need help. This is my first nitro R/C. Thanks.
Old 12-30-2002, 09:51 PM
crash_me_over
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Savage 21 keeps going dead...

If this is your first nitro I would say that it would be helpful to you if you have a local hobby store close by to take it to them and let them have a look at it. Don't worry about the "guy thing". You know.....your a guy and want to fix it yourself!

Local hobby shops are a blessing for just this kind of thing. One excellent reason to be sure and give them your business so they will be willing to assist you when problems do arise.

Now...that being said.....if your intent on trying to find the problem yourself......first....check the glow plug....take it out and light it up with your glow igniter and make sure "ALL OF THE COILS" light up evenly. If it does....then check the fuel lines. Be sure they are not pinched in any way. Remove the line going to the exhaust pipe and the line going to the carburetor. Pinch the line that you took from the carb and then blow into the other line that you removed from the exhaust pipe. Can you see bubble? Do you feel any air escaping anywhere?

As for your needle settings.....put them back to where the manuals says and begin from there to make adjustments. Remember....too lean and you'll fry the engine.....richer is better but you will also notice a sluggish response when you give it gas as it's pouring fuel into the carb. Richer is better especially for breaking in the engine as it is also lubricating the engine. The oils in the fuel "ARE THE LUBRICATION" so it needs to be running rich.

Also be sure you air filter is clean and that the carb can draw air into it. Let us know whats going on?

Good Luck!