Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Which Nitro MT to Buy?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2003, 02:00 AM
SFrisco Kid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Nitro MT to Buy?

After being on hiatus for about 2 years now, I have just gotten back into the RC scene. The truck I have now is a RC10t3 Electric. While this is a great truck I would like to sell and and upgrade to a Nitro MT.

After doing some research I have narrowed my focus down to 2 possibilities. The HPI Savage 21 and the T-Maxx. Without being bias, I think I am leaning toward the Savage because of the big block. However,
I am looking for any pros and cons that would help me make a good decision. I have read different reviews on both trucks, but haven't seen any head to head comparisons.

Mainly, I am looking for contrasts in performance differences.
I have heard the T-maxx pushes 40+ mph. I haven't heard any claims on how fast the Savage runs. Does anyone know what the savage pushes?

Any suggestions from those of you who have the time to help a fellow enthusiasts would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Old 01-03-2003, 02:23 AM
Bluehydro8

SFrisco Kid,
I have both the t-maxx 2.5 and the HPI savage and I believe they are totally different trucks. The T-maxx is a snappy hot head with decreased handling. The HPI Savage is more of a torque-based truck with improved handling. Take hill climbing, the savage will use its massive torque to get up there at a good rate. Where as for the t maxx relies on wheel spin to get up there. Some of the cons about the savage are common in newly released trucks. The t-maxx has been out for about 4 years or more and Traxxas has had time and practice to perfect the engineering mistakes. Speed wise, the t-maxx is superior to the Savage. The t-maxx topped out at 40-45mph. The savage topped out at about 35mph but I have heard in some other threads that you can tune a savage enough to actually beat a t-maxx. I guess it really depends on what you want. If you want a truck to trash and bash get a maxx. But if you want a good track truck that can bash as good as the rest of them get a savage. They both cost the same so what you could do is blindfold yourself and have someone put them if front of you and just pick one. They are both really good trucks. Good luck
Old 01-03-2003, 02:26 AM
crash_me_over
My Feedback: (16)

http://www.rcuniverse.com/search.php...by=&sortorder=
Old 06-04-2003, 08:18 PM
Nitro Viper GT

i read in a review that the savage tops at 31 mph stock
Old 06-06-2003, 12:30 PM
urbanassault

I have a TMAXX and a PIRATE 10.
I have also driven my friends Savage many times.
All THREE are extremely tough, after you iron out each ones weak points. It all depends on what you want to do with the truck.
My TMAXX is faster than the Savage but it's trickier to jump.
Alot of comparisons don't mention the TMAXX Easy Start which is a Major plus for the "new-to-nitro" and the experienced alike. Just get an extra battery. The Savage is unbelievably stable on rugged ground at speed and you can feel the torque of the .21.
I do have to do the obligatory mention of my pirate 10. This thing is an Idiotic speed freak, it also climbs stuff like mad(don't let the low clearance fool you). My adrenaline starts pumping before I even start it. You do, however, sacrifice the burly, articulating suspension of the other two trucks. It is very tricky to jump, but can be done with practice.
They are all fun trucks, I would have all three if I had the money, but my adrenaline dosage requirements call for the Pirate10.
Old 06-07-2003, 12:15 AM
AnikUmak
My Feedback: (1)

urbanassault
Have u hopped up ur P10?
If so what did u do? I mite be getting one.