Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Best Bashing Truggy??

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2006, 11:15 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Best Bashing Truggy??

I tried to ask this in the truggy forum, but got no answers.. You get the feeling in the truggy forum it's a race-only environment, and that they look down on bashing as simplistic entertainment for neanderthals.. So anyway, I'll put this question in the context of asking MT drivers, if you were going to get a bash-only truggy, what would you get??

I came across a picture of the Ofna Mutilator, and it looks pretty cool. Dig the name too.. Here in Germany the Thunder Tiger ST1 is pretty popular, and not too insanely priced..(unlike the Hellfire)
Old 09-06-2006, 11:55 AM
KILL--ROY

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Best Bashing Truggy??

I think the ofna truck is a good choice, or take a look at the muggy from losi. I like the simple nature of these trucks. I think they will be easy to work on.
Old 09-06-2006, 11:57 AM
HerrSavage

And tough?? Is the Muggy out yet??
Old 09-06-2006, 12:01 PM
blackrain

no
Old 09-06-2006, 12:16 PM
HerrSavage

I'm assuming the no is for the latter question..
Old 09-06-2006, 12:36 PM
snowbl!nd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where i race the Jammin X-1 CRT truggy is by far the most popular. There are a few other truggys running (Lightning, Hellfire, GS SUT, ST-1 and a few others) but it seems most of the people are now running the CRT.

If i was going to get a truggy for bashing only then i'd either go for the TT ST-1 or the Jammin CRT. I think either would do pretty well....
Old 09-06-2006, 12:39 PM
blackrain

muggys not out yet as far as truggys for bashing i couldnt tell you since most are geared towards racers you really should ask in truggy forum or go to truggyracers.com. i run a mugen truggy but i could never see my self beating on it like that i have to much money invested in it. thought you already have a truggy
Old 09-06-2006, 02:10 PM
Phelansa

Both the Mutilator and the ST1 are awesome trucks. Fast, tough and brillian handeling. Once you have driven a Truggy the MT's will just feel flat. (my personal experience). Another one that is worth looking at is the Sportwerks Mayhem ST. Cheap and comes with really nice radio options
Old 09-06-2006, 05:13 PM
WalawalaStore

Hi,

The OFNA/Hong Nor X1-CRT is a good choice. Low price and durable.[8D]

Thx

Joaquim
Old 09-06-2006, 08:02 PM
Chronic

What the hell?... Patrick, a truggy for bashing? First no MT is tough enough for you and now you want to buy a truggy for bashing? [sm=bananahead.gif]

Old 09-06-2006, 08:18 PM
silverman1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The hot bodies lighting you got is a truggy or the next best thing to it.
Old 09-06-2006, 09:52 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: Chronic

What the hell?... Patrick, a truggy for bashing? First no MT is tough enough for you and now you want to buy a truggy for bashing? [sm=bananahead.gif]
Maybe he should wait till the Hellfire X comes out[&:]
Old 09-07-2006, 01:31 AM
HerrSavage

Good one TBJ.. Na, there's a big hobby trade-fair here at the end of the month, and you can often find good deals(by German standards - still exorbitantly expensive by yours..) Just curious to know what's good in case I see a killer deal on something.. I may also be heading back to the States in October, and paying US dollar prices in Euros is RIDICULOUSLY cheap compared to German prices..

Few quick examples: LST2 in Germany: €600. That's $780.

Savage X spur gear in Germany €11. That's like $14.

OWB - €19(=$23)

If an Ofna Mutilator in the States costs $400, that's only €315 or so.. That's NOTHING for RC prices in Germany..

One more good example: An LRP Z28 Spec 3 costs €220 here. That's $275..

I guess if I ever got a truggy it would probably be the Thunder Tiger ST1 - they're popular here, so part-wise it would be OK, AND they're supposedly pretty good.. Price here is about €480, not TOO crazy expensive by German standards.. That's about $650 BTW..
Old 09-07-2006, 02:15 AM
duckedup

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

ORIGINAL: Chronic

Maybe he should wait till the Hellfire X comes out[&:]
LoL... funny stuff
Old 09-07-2006, 07:43 AM
doesgo

ORIGINAL: PatrickBW

You get the feeling in the truggy forum it's a race-only environment, and that they look down on bashing as simplistic entertainment for neanderthals..
Yep, that seems to be how most "purist" racers perceive things. And others see most "off-road" racing tracks as dusty pavement with small bumps. What happened to the "off-road" part of off-road racing, anyway? Loose dirt and big jumps, let's get to it!

How tough of a basher are you, Patrick? Big-air is relatively hard on any vehicle, truggies included. More so than buggies, thanks to all the leverage imparted by the big tires and long suspension arms. I think you'll find most truggies hold up pretty well to moderate bashing, but they all have their weak points. If you can address those weaknesses as efficiently as possible, you'll probably end up with something relatively durable. But they still won't likely hold up as well as a Savage or Revo.
Old 09-07-2006, 09:09 AM
Chronic

I've seen a few Sportwerks truggies take some hard hits and keep on trucking, but I have serious doubts about any truggy being able to stand up to any real bashing. The Muggy is going to be a little different though. It's an LST2 with a single speed and center diff. Instead of basing the "truggy" design on buggy components, they started with a real MT and truggy-ized it.

I hate to say it, but if this is your line of thinking... you might be better off with a center diff-- dual brake-- quickturn equipped Revo. At least then you have all of the Revo strength hopups available to you. Truggies are made for racing and most of the upgrades are geared towards improving them in that one area. It would be a total waste to buy a truggy just for bashing in my opinion. At first glance they look like good candidates for a dual purpose "race on Saturday, bash on Sunday" type rig, but you would have to make so many compromises that it would end up sucking at either activity.
Old 09-07-2006, 09:27 AM
HerrSavage

I don't claim to be god's gift to bashing or anything, but for me, the essence of bashing is air, the bigger the better. I haven't gotten that high yet, but then I haven't found a big enough jump yet either..

(I think most people know what became of my ultimate basher aka Savage X fiasco project..)

I'm not totally set on getting a truggy either - was just kind of curious to find out more about them. I actually did get one answer in the truggy forum, and a good one.. Dude said the Thunder Tiger ST1 - the truggy with probably the biggest presence - AND BEST PRICE - on the German market - is very tough.. AND... and and and, you can get a 2-speed for it!..

That still doesn't mean I want one. I just wanted to ask around and see what people say. When I go to this trade fair though, who knows, maybe somebody will offer me an ST1 for an offer I can't refuse.. That's all..
Old 09-07-2006, 09:29 AM
doesgo

Hey Patrick, what did become of the Savage X? I haven't had time to surf this board much lately.

I've been thinking about building a hybrid between a Savage and a truggy (GS SUT in this case). Keep the Savage front and back ends, but bolt them onto a truggy chassis. That way I get the simple, reliable drivetrain of the truggy (and starter box access!) and the extremely durable Savage suspension and bumpers.
Old 09-07-2006, 09:33 AM
HerrSavage

Jeeze, I can just hear the collective shriek of horror from half of the members of the RCU MT and HPI MT boards at your asking what became of my Savage X...

So far, nothing.. I'm waiting to get some of Chronic's TVP's.. Ahem, gkhmm... cough, cough..

ps Hey doesgo, can you take a look at this other thread and see if you have an idea what my problem is.. I'm stumped - kinda' worried something's bent and not matching up right..

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4717097/tm.htm
Old 09-07-2006, 09:41 AM
doesgo

I'll check out the other thread.
Old 09-07-2006, 09:46 AM
HerrSavage

And I'll check out slapmafro.. Didn't think of that(oops..) Seriously though, since I might be coming back for a visit in October, that might actually make sense(aside from having to wait so long..), in terms of avoiding shipping and Customs costs..
Old 09-07-2006, 11:04 AM
Chronic

ORIGINAL: doesgo

Chronic, huh? Haven't dealt with them, maybe I should keep it that way? We've got FastLane Machine and will soon have Innovative TVPs if you'd like to redirect your efforts. I'll check out the other thread.

It's not a them, just me. I make a few RC parts on the side, and Savage TVPs are one of them. The reason I haven't gotten Patrick his TVPs yet is because he wanted some with the 6mm front stretch and an iron cross design cut into the side of them. The holdup is simply me sending him a pic for his approval before he lays down that stupid shipping cost to Germany. Call FLM or IRC and see if they will do that for anywhere near the cost that I will.
Old 09-07-2006, 12:04 PM
doesgo

My apologies, Chronic! I had no idea that was the sitaution or that "they" are "you!" Custom work is very cool indeed, and Savage TVPs are a great place to personalize things. Post edited.
Old 09-07-2006, 12:53 PM
Chronic

ORIGINAL: doesgo

My apologies, Chronic! I had no idea that was the sitaution or that "they" are "you!" Custom work is very cool indeed, and Savage TVPs are a great place to personalize things. Post edited.
Oh man, you did nothing to apologize for. I was just trying to explain what Patrick meant.
Old 09-10-2006, 12:44 PM
PedeBeater

Id have to say a spotwerkz mayhem looks tough as heck!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.