Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

whats a good MT

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2006, 09:02 PM
cory_hyatt_0021

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default whats a good MT

Im looking to buy a nitro MT and was wondering which one is a good one! I want something that is very powerful and could basicaly climb up a tree if it could get the traction! Ive looked around at the warhead. ?Could this give me what i want? thanks cory
Old 09-10-2006, 09:09 PM
farknben

Default RE: whats a good MT

Hi Cory, it really depends on what you want to do- bash or race or both?

Ive only got a Monster GT. But I love it. Its very strong, Lots of torque and pretty fast also.

Ive heard the Warheads have some problems. But I cant speak from experience.
Old 09-10-2006, 09:11 PM
[]TEX[]

The Savage X baby!!!

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...article_id=729

http://67.18.81.100/rcuvideos/magazi...s/729/high.wmv

If I was going to by a nitro MT, this would be the kit.
Old 09-10-2006, 10:22 PM
Rc EnthuSiasTs

most of the mt's fit this category.
All have a lot of torque, pretty much
The mgt is said to be a slower one but is still goes 35 mph, my mgt feels fast even with the stock motor(.21)
I think you will enjoy almost any mt you buy. Look at the cen's.
Check out the Mt chart.
Old 09-11-2006, 02:12 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah, you need to be a bit more specific about what you want to do - and don't want to do...

If you're new, and just want a solid, reliable, tough truck out of the box, IMO right now the Associated MGT 4.6 is the best truck going.. It also happens to be the cheapest, easy to work on, and it's versatile, as in you could race it if you want.. Throw an LRP Z28 Spec 3 in it, and you'll have something to drive up that tree..

An LST2 is probably the best performer available, but I've heard it can be delicate, or at least requires several upgrades out of the box.. I personally HATE that a new truck should require new parts to make it tough, given what they cost, but maybe you wouldn't mind.. The LST2 is an awesome performer for sure.. I for ex. like jumping, and jumping means crashing, so therefore toughness is priority number 1.. LST2's are the most expensive too, BTW.. But I guess kind of the cream of the crop..

A Revo would probably be a good choice... The new 3.3's are supposedly insanely fast.. Maybe more for racing though..

Then there's the Savage X.. To make a long story short, the X needs new TVP's to be able to do what Savages are supposed to do. That p_isses me off. I'll stop there...

And then there's the older Savages.... (25, LE - best of the best.., SS, SS4.6)- if you can find one.. Here in Europe they're going cheap, and are still the toughest truck you can get - for bashing.. Not really for racing... But then racing doesn't normally entail driving up trees.. Bashing sometime does.. And don't worry about it being discontinued(the X has replaced it..) - parts will be available for years..
Old 09-11-2006, 10:12 PM
Rc EnthuSiasTs

it is liking asking... whats a good jacket that is warm?
Old 09-12-2006, 11:19 AM
KyleR

ORIGINAL: PatrickBW

LST2's are the most expensive too, BTW.. But I guess kind of the cream of the crop..
When I was shooting the bull with an LHS counter guy while purchasing some parts, I asked for his recommendation on MT's and what he personally has. The big thing that stuck with me was that, even though the LST2 is more expensive than the others out of the box, if you take about $150 or so off the price it's right in there with the others. Why $150? It comes with a synthesized FM radio system, which adds about $150 to the cost, compared to the AM radios all the others come with.

When pricing something out, you really do need to look at everything it comes with (or doesn't), not just the vehicle itself. For someone just starting out, you're gonna spend so much more than just the price on the vehicle's box (fuel, batts, charger, whatever).

Just more food for thought.

-ps- oh, and if anyone cares, he personally owns a 1st gen LST that he loves.
Old 09-12-2006, 11:29 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Whether an LST2 is truly ready to go out of the box though, seems debatable.. (that's based on the forums.. Even LST guys admit you need to upgrade some stuff more or less right away.. Engine brace, RPM arms, roll-bar if you want it, etc..) That's a good point about the radio though..

The Savage and MTA4 though are basically RTB - ready to bash.. The Revo I just don't know..
Old 09-12-2006, 05:37 PM
sutherlandan

I just recently purchased a Revo 3.3, and am extremly happy with it. Break in went very smooth (my 1st nitro) and the speed of this thing is amazing. It handles awesome too, and is a great jumber/basher. I'd recommend it 100%.
Old 09-12-2006, 10:40 PM
Rc EnthuSiasTs

i think the lst2 is a really good truck. It seems to be a top condender. But i think the mgt is very hard to beat at that price.
Old 09-13-2006, 04:45 PM
cory_hyatt_0021

Thanks to everyone for the responses. They have been helpful. I think i will turn my sight to that Revo3.3. I keep hearing good things about it.
Old 09-13-2006, 05:00 PM
revopqrs

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i love my revo! another thing about it is you can stuff a big block into it and watch out!! super fast...

heres a vid of 2 revos, mine with a novarossi 528xr, and one with a picco 26maxx.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...27152753&hl=en
Old 09-13-2006, 07:13 PM
gtsum

All of the trucks are pretty good...just depends on which one appeals to you! I have a revo and lst2 and they are both great trucks...that being said, I like the lst2 far more then the revo and tend to run it 8-1 over my revo (and my revo is fully maxed out with rpm, BB engine, side pipe, spyder tank, etc)...for me, the lst2 works better....others have different opinions...revopqrs above has both as well and he prefers his revo (watch that vid up there...you will get an idea of how fast a revo can be with that nova engine...that thing flies!)
Old 09-13-2006, 08:19 PM
revopqrs

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

isnt that interesting gtsum? we need to get together and bash sometime. i like the fact that you prefer the lst, and i wanna see it in action! i know you go big, id love to see your lst flying!!
i just cant seem to get into mine... its right here next to me on the floor. i drove it a couple weeks ago and reminded myself why it sits so much... i biffed 1 jump and it got hammered! i have a hard time driving it too, it seems like it responds slow... like when changing direction, i can tell its heavy.
but it is planted, and doesnt traction roll like the revo.
but my revo is just so ballistic that its like crack to me! when i ease into the trigger and at ultra high speeds still have to be easy on the throttle... ohh i love it, always more acceleration than i need!
Old 09-13-2006, 08:29 PM
PillowPants

Ditto REVOpqrs. My 18TM Revo 3.3 is a BLAST. I'd take it over my old LST any day. Soooo durable its rediculos.. My new 18TM REVO 3.3 and my Kyosho ST-R make quite th 1-2 KO punch![8D] Great fun! But hey beauty is in he eyes of the beholder..