58.70%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Hasbro's Nitro Rc

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2006, 09:36 PM
dgz69er

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hasbro's Nitro Rc

I'm sure many of you have read about Hasbro's new line of nitro rc cars.

I'm curious on what some of your thoughts are on this beginner nitro level of rc cars.

I think it is a great thing. Hopefully it will get more people introduced into the hobby.

If anything its atleast a cheaper alternative to people who want to give nitro a shot without investing a lot of money. I'm kind of digging the dual sided car. It looks like it could be some fun.

I feel it can't do anything but bring good things to the rc hobby. Hasbro has enlisted hobbytown as their service providers.

I hope it works out for hasbro
Old 09-18-2006, 09:51 PM
MBX5T Maniac
My Feedback: (-1)

Default RE: Hasbro's Nitro Rc

Lawsuits.
Senario 1: Some dumb parent, guardian, or grandparent will buy little 12yr old Joe one, and get him a quart of fuel. Being a normal american child, joe will rip out the truck, put some batteries in, and expect it to go. It won't move. What? He kicks it around some, and starts crying for the parent, etc. They come out, and the dad, if he has no experience, will just pull on the starter, and it shoots off full throttle. They pick up the remnants, and return it, saying it is defect.

Senario 2: The kid will start it up, go WOT, what do you expect?, and it starts running like crap, and won't start. Having no clue, he will cry, the dad/mom will have no clue how to fix it, and return it. Get a new one. This time they read the manual, and break it in. They get it tuned, kid burns himself. Lawsuit.

I'm sick of thinking up senarios, but it's going to happen.

It's going to make nitro
Old 09-18-2006, 09:56 PM
chrobar

I agree with mayhem. This is a real bad idea IMO. Hasbro must either supply a dvd with it to teach the buyer everthing or be ready for stupids returning a terribly built car. If people want to get in the hobby they should go to a quality hs and ask about it.
Old 09-18-2006, 10:00 PM
Chronic

I'm not sure of this, but I think they recommend it for people 14 years of age and up. Even if it isn't, it's up to the parents to buy age appropriate toys for their children. What kind of 14 year old can't handle a nitro truck made by HASBRO. It's not like it's going to be a pro level racing kit or anything.
Old 09-18-2006, 10:05 PM
dgz69er

You guys bring up some good points.

I haven't read or seen many details on the trucks.

Of course you are going to have kids that are stupid, but hopefully some good will come from it.

Hopefully they have made a good product.
Old 09-18-2006, 10:07 PM
blackrain

i think it will do ok as long as there is good help and support and all hobby shops carry it so you will have some one to go to if you need help. besides a walmart rep and hobbytown USA
Old 09-18-2006, 10:57 PM
DaveG55

Lawsuits ain't gonna happen anymore than they do now.
That's just " the sky is falling" crap.
Nitro toys have been in the hands of young kids for decades. I had one in 1965 at 10 yo and managed not to kill, maim or burn or blind anyone.
Make a poll on here asking age. I'll bet 30% or more are under 14.
Nitro toys have been for sale in big box stores before too so that's not new either, I've even bought nitro planes from Toys-R-Us before.
Personally, I cain't wait for them to come out. I'm gonna get one of those flip trucks the first week they're out. Heck, I'll get a complete truck for what I'm spending on the TM for my Revo. It'll be inexpensive fun.
Old 09-18-2006, 11:19 PM
alvinl

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My son turns 8 next weekend and he has been driving nitro cars for over a year now. He has broken parts on the car but that's it. I don't think young kids getting into nitro rc is a bad thing and if a cheap rc car helps get more young kids into nitro rc, then these cheap cars are a good thing. Youngins have to be watched and helped, but that's the parents responsibility. I just hope they are durable enough to be fun and parts can be purchased from the lhs.
Old 09-18-2006, 11:26 PM
Indecline099

i think that there will be alot of these trucks smashed to peices, these little kids probably have seen some sort of revo-lst-savage video doing huge jumps and hardcore bashing, and when these kids try the same thing with this truck it wont be pretty
Old 09-18-2006, 11:41 PM
Fiegs

HASBRO making a nitro r/c IMO isnt a good idea
Think about.How many kids are really gonna read the entire manual,break it in properly,mantain the engine,and keep it running?
After a week of running the truck things will start to go wrong because its been neglected
It is just too much work for a kid that sees it on the self and buys it because it looks cool.
Old 09-19-2006, 12:54 AM
geepfreek

bad idea theyve got one that should run upside down (dont know how) continuously and HS selling them has to fix them for free labor! they going to tie up HS and then when people find out(if) theyre shatty vehicles are going to take up space on shelves and part racks on walls keeping part for higher end vehicles less in stock when you really need them.
Old 09-19-2006, 01:55 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: TheFinalCut

Think about.How many kids are really gonna read the entire manual,break it in properly,mantain the engine,and keep it running?
After a week of running the truck things will start to go wrong because its been neglected
It is just too much work for a kid that sees it on the self and buys it because it looks cool.
Do you think that doesn't happen with Maxxes, Savages, LST's, and MGT's and Revos NOW? please.
Old 09-19-2006, 04:17 AM
BCBasher

There will be a disclaimer on the box so no lawsuits, here in Canada anyway. I would'nt buy buy their crap plasticy cars but I'll be able to buy cheap nitro at walmart and not have to get somone to drive me to Victoria 1 1/2 hours away to pay $37.00 plus tax a gallon. Way to go Hasbro!
Old 09-19-2006, 07:08 AM
DaveG55

ORIGINAL: geepfreek

bad idea theyve got one that should run upside down (dont know how) continuously and HS selling them has to fix them for free labor! they going to tie up HS and then when people find out(if) theyre shatty vehicles are going to take up space on shelves and part racks on walls keeping part for higher end vehicles less in stock when you really need them.
There are just so many assumptions in that run on sentance that it's funny!!!!
Just because you don't know how it can run upside down doesn't mean it cann't. Planes and heli's been dooing it for years and years. Ever heard of a "klunk" style pick-up?
What makes you think LHS' will do any warranty work for free? The truck owner may not pay but I bet Hasbro compensates them. That's why Hobbytown has an agreement with Hasbro.
Why do you think they will be "shatty" vehicles?? Have you seen one run or held one yet? It's unlikely to be any worse than the Warhead is. Or are you just being an RC snob?
As far as shelf space, they're being sold thru Wal-Mart so how is that going to take up shelf space at your LHS? And parts, any LHS that's worth anything is not going to quit stocking any parts that it sells regularly.

Old 09-19-2006, 07:14 AM
DaveG55

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

ORIGINAL: TheFinalCut

Do you think that doesn't happen with Maxxes, Savages, LST's, and MGT's and Revos NOW? please.
Exactly right! How many time a week does somebody ask " My Savage/Revo/MGT won't idle, which needle do I turn?"???? You know that the only time they touched the manual was to take it out of the box and drop it on the floor.
Old 09-19-2006, 08:15 AM
Wide Open

ORIGINAL: DaveG55
There are just so many assumptions in that run on sentance that it's funny!!!!
Just because you don't know how it can run upside down doesn't mean it cann't. Planes and heli's been dooing it for years and years. Ever heard of a "klunk" style pick-up?
as im also a pilot i can tell you your completely right, but boy is it annoying when your clunk stops working! but then again theres no way its as hard to get into these trucks as it is to get into a fuselage of an airplane
Old 09-19-2006, 08:39 AM
Rice_slayer

DaveG, dont erven THINK of comparing this worthless excuse better then my warhead! Also im 14 and have maintained my truck REALLY well after each bash i clean it and put the afterrun and after about 5 tanks or so i clean the air filter. I PAID for all of my truck and fuel, so i respect it, it cost lots of coin. This is the worst idea ever, too many bad things are going to happen.
Old 09-19-2006, 08:54 AM
DaveG55

ORIGINAL: Rice_slayer

DaveG, dont erven THINK of comparing this worthless excuse better then my warhead! Also im 14 and have maintained my truck REALLY well after each bash i clean it and put the afterrun and after about 5 tanks or so i clean the air filter. I PAID for all of my truck and fuel, so i respect it, it cost lots of coin. This is the worst idea ever, too many bad things are going to happen.
Congrats on buying and maintaining your truck properly You're to be comended for that. It just proves the point that young people CAN do it right.
Also, I hope that your Warhead keeps working for you. If it does you are one of a minority. All you have to do is read the Warhead thread here for proof. My LHS refuses to sell or even work on them because they are such a poor quality truck.
One question though. Since you took so much offense at a passing comment about a truck that is out and HAS had lots of problems why are YOU putting down something that you have never even seen???
Sounds kinda hypocritical to me.
At the very least people should let the truck hit the market before they start passing judgement on it.
Old 09-19-2006, 09:08 AM
RCtruckRacer

Most people that buy one of these will not upgrade to a 'Hobby Level' vehicle. It will be run till its broken and then put on a shelf, given away, or even thrown out. That will not cause anyone any problems. Any of you kids own a BB gun? Ever shoot someone in the eye with it? A gas powered RC is not very different in that respect. If a kid is responsible enough to own a BB gun, he/she should do fine with a gas powered rc.

It's an entry level rc, plain and simple. There will be a few people that buy them that will join us in our obsession. They may even come to the track and start racing when they upgrade. Anything that helps promote the hobby is a good thing. Period.
Old 09-19-2006, 11:11 AM
KRO

It's an entry level rc, plain and simple. There will be a few people that buy them that will join us in our obsession. They may even come to the track and start racing when they upgrade. Anything that helps promote the hobby is a good thing. Period.

EXACTLY !

My son turns 8 next weekend and he has been driving nitro cars for over a year now. He has broken parts on the car but that's it. I don't think young kids getting into nitro rc is a bad thing and if a cheap rc car helps get more young kids into nitro rc, then these cheap cars are a good thing. Youngins have to be watched and helped, but that's the parents responsibility. I just hope they are durable enough to be fun and parts can be purchased from the lhs.

I got started in RC with my Dad when I was born ? LOL . Ever since I can remember I have been around nitro engines , I flew my first controll line plane when I was 6 started it too . My Dad taught me about starting and tuning the motor , never burned myself or blinded myself , did cut a finger on a prop once (not using a start stik)

Had my first nitro RC car at 10 (old cox .049 motor in a 1/12 car I belive) ran the piss out of it for over a year (the conn rod ended up breaking) . It all depends on the kid , some like to bash and break them , some like to play with them and take care of them .
As long as a parent or someone who knows what they are doing is supervising I dont see anything wrong with it .
Old 09-19-2006, 11:31 AM
mikewoodkozar

im on the fence with this one
Old 09-19-2006, 11:51 AM
ahamade

You guys know anyone can walk into a hobby shop and pickup a Revo or any other RTR and give it to their kids. The only diffrence is that now you will be able to get them from Toys R Us. At least Hasbro is smart enough to not let kids refuel using open jugs of Nitro, instead they got them fuel cell's. Personally I think its a good thing and hope to see companies inovate based on the fact that they want to appeal to a broader audience.

With proper adult supervison there is nothing wrong with a kid playing with a Nitro RC truck. Here is a picture of my son playing with my LST2.

[link=http://www.moto-rc.net/pics/sonjump.jpg]Son Playing with LST2[/link]

He is actually quite good at it, I feel it helps him to develop motor skills along with hand/eye cordination. Also lets us bond as father and son.

There will always be lawsuits and ignorant people, you should not ever let that stop an industry from growing.
Old 09-19-2006, 12:04 PM
alvinl

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am right there with you ahamade. I agree 100%. Nitro RC is my time to bond with my son. It's father and son time and I feel more families need it. Supervision is the key. They need guidance and help but kids pick up on new things VERY quickly. I think the largest audience for these cheaper RC's will be kids who may never otherwise get into nitro rc.
Old 09-19-2006, 02:11 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: Rice_slayer

DaveG, dont erven THINK of comparing this worthless excuse better then my warhead!
I dare you to go into the Savage forum and say that with a straight face

This is the worst idea ever, too many bad things are going to happen.
And the warhead is sooooooooooooooooo great? I'm not going to trash talk your truck, but you're fighting an uphill battle with that one. I'd take the Hasbro truck over a truck with a reputation like the Warhead's, and I'm sure a LOT of other people will too.

What BAD is gonna happen? I've used firearms, fireworks, ATV's and dirtbikes, spray paint, hobby knives, duct tape, anhydrous ammonia, alien feces, and just about anything ELSE that could have killed me since I was able to take more than 3 or 4 steps without falling flat on my poopy diaper, and not ONLY am I still alive...I'm fully mobile and in impeccable health, and have never had a broken bone. Just because you give kids something with which they COULD kill somebody or themselves doesn't mean they WILL. I'd sooner trust a 12 year old with a nitro RC car than a grown man that had never driven one. At least the kid knows enough to know he doesn't know what he's getting into:P
Old 09-19-2006, 03:14 PM
GaRCDude

I'm sure these lil engines arent built like our hobby grade engines. I've always wondered what could be produced if a manufacturer was to concentrate on realiability and eez of tuning instead of pure performance. I hope that is what they did or else I think the average joe will have a hard time with it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.