Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

Aaaargghhhh: some dust into my carb...!!! Need help..

Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Aaaargghhhh: some dust into my carb...!!! Need help..

Old 09-25-2006, 05:37 PM
immarcescibile

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aaaargghhhh: some dust into my carb...!!! Need help..

Hy guys,
I need to know what you think about air double foam filters issues....

I actually use 3 MOTORSAVERS (http://www.hpi-europe.com/piw.php?lang=en&partNo=72438) air filter for my SavyRacer.
I use to oil the inner foam, WITHOUT oiling the outher foam...

In the last 2 races I installed one clean complete filter per 10 minutes of use....So 3 filters in total for a quick race.....

But....: what a mess!!!!!!: I found EVERY time some little sopts of dust inside the carburetor of my LRP SPEC 3 just broked-in Sad

Questions:

1) Will little amount of dust be a problem for my new engine??? (I'm always using Hobbico After-run)
2) Will I need to clean the engine opening it completely???
3) How can I solve the problem??? Where's my fault??? Will HPI Savage SS' filter be better bacuse of its no "frontal air intaking"???(http://www.hpi-europe.com/piw.php?lang=en&partNo=87207)

Please reply me asap, thanks in advance, bye
Old 09-25-2006, 06:02 PM
ThermalRD

Default RE: Aaaargghhhh: some dust into my carb...!!! Need help..

1) Yup... Any amount of dust or dirt, will caus compression loss on a motor. Assuming you ran, or attempted to run, while the dirt/dust was inside. Imagine the piston moving up and down, and sanding the piston and sleeve for ya.

2) Anytime you notice dirt, or dust in the engine, i think its a safe practice to remove the back plate, head, and carb. Spray it out real good with motor spray, and hope for the best.

3) Motor saver filters are over rated. Use a good 2 stage foam filter. With the inner filter oiled. Those screen filters scare me. Especially the motor savers. The kinds i've used in the past, have the typical inner foam, with an end foam piece. Leaving a pieced together filter inside that screen. Which i dont like. With that said, your problem might not be the filter. Many people use those, and dont complain. Your habit of changing the filter every 10 minutes may be the problem. You are basically opening up your motor to dirt and dust every 10 minutes.
Old 09-25-2006, 06:10 PM
immarcescibile

Hey I clean the carb very well with a soft brush before changing the filter :-( I'm not a newbie ;-)
Old 09-25-2006, 08:54 PM
happywing

I think the motorsaver is the problem. I don't like'm either. I had a 3.3 go to hell because of one. I like the O.S. with the dry pre-filter or RB Concepts 2-stage filters.
Old 09-26-2006, 12:33 AM
motox28

what air filter shoud i/he get if not that can i get some websights
Old 09-26-2006, 02:09 AM
immarcescibile

@happywing: please can you link me some images of the air filter you prefer please??

Tnx in advance ;-)
Old 09-26-2006, 09:43 AM
happywing

This is a great filter setup:
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/5763
Old 09-26-2006, 11:31 PM
motox28

yo immarcescibile how do i get a pic under myt basic member thing
Old 09-27-2006, 05:45 AM
immarcescibile

@happywing: That filter setup seems to be really great!!! I'll try to find it on Ebay....

@motox28: Sorry moto, please can you explain me your need? As I'm Italian, I wasn't able to understand your question :-(
Old 09-27-2006, 09:18 AM
motox28

this has nothing to do with the air filter thing u dont have to answer if u want...you know how u have a pic to the left of our typing in the box of info how did u get it there

thanks
Old 09-27-2006, 11:09 AM
tommythecat
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: motox28

this has nothing to do with the air filter thing u dont have to answer if u want...you know how u have a pic to the left of our typing in the box of info how did u get it there

thanks
It is called an avatar and can be set under: My Account>Forum Settings

Just go there and look for the area to upload an avatar.

I agree, I run a Motor Saver filter on my rusty, and it isn't he best. The filter works well but the retaining mechanism for the front cover screen makes me nervous. Mine has never come off but with nothing but those two little metal tabs holding it in I expect it will someday. I like a 1/8 th buggy filter with a dry prefilter on it which is what I run on my OS motor, they just seem more secure.

Even in extremely dusty conditions I wouldn't chnage my filter out every 10 minutes. If you filter is properly sized, oiled and installed then you shouldn't see any issues after 10 minutes of running no matter how dusty the track is. Just my $.02.
Old 09-27-2006, 12:15 PM
The_Collector

I've put 6 gallons through an O.S. .12 and stock air cleaner off road before even bothering with the foam. Dirty as hell, but never noticed a change in performance, filter off or on. It just goes to show how these engines are drawing such a tiny amount of air, compared to the displacement of the air cleaner. The dirt is being drawn by the oil, moreso then the engines vacuum. If our full size cars had an air cleaner of those proportions, half of the hood would be open! Would you clean that filter every 10 minutes?
Old 09-27-2006, 02:10 PM
happywing

10 minutes is too often...6 gallons is not often enough, IMO. It depends on the condition. I run on a grass track for weeks at a time between dirt track races. The grass track is, obviously, just about dust free. I'll go 3 weeks (about 2 hours of runtime) between clean/re-oil. When I race on dirt, I clean/re-oil at the end of each race day. And maybe I'm stating the obvoius, but the most important thing to do when cleaning is to rid the area around the filter of any dirt or dust. Clean it with some nitro blast and blow it off with a compressor (if you have one) before removing the filter assembly.
Old 09-27-2006, 02:28 PM
immarcescibile

Many thanks guys ;-) I'll try to verify everything ;-)