Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Lightning GT?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2006, 07:12 PM
phil_rudd_fan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lightning GT?

I wonder if the Lightning GT is worth buying? How durable is it? Can it handle rough terrain? How's the engine? This is a rare truck, or is it?
Old 10-15-2006, 10:51 PM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Lightning GT?

I have one. I would say it is most definitely NOT worth the asking price of €599 here in Germany... (a Savage costs about 500, an MTA 4 S28 about €440, for comparison's sake..) I bought it on auction(new) though for €380, and think that's a pretty good price.. I'd say it's worth 500 bucks or so, or along the lines of what a Thunder Tiger MTA4 S28 would cost you(don't know Swedish prices, but assume they're ridiculous..) It's kind of a weird truck in terms of how it fits into the "market" - I mean, it's basically a Lightning GT stadium with huge tires and wheels, and they just called it a monster. Is it "better" than a Thunder Tiger MTA4 or Savage, for ex?? In some areas probably, in others probably not..

As for the truck itself, it's BIG, handles VERY well, it's pretty light, and so far fairly tough.. I think the part quality is very good too.

One problem I'm currently having is the steering hubs.. I seem to be having some problems keeping them in one piece - but then with those huge wheels, and doing LOTS of jumping, it's pretty hard on the steering set-up I guess.. I broke one hub out bashing one day(and bent a dogbone.. ), and since then I can't seem to get the screws to stay in - but then I bought some from a hardware store - so maybe they're just not right.. They seem to strip really easily.. Anyway, that problem may well have more to do with my cluelessness than with the truck itself.. Nevertheless, the tires and wheels are HUGE, so that I guess is part of the reason.. And I have been jumping the heck out of it too - so I guess it's to be expected.. - AND, that said, it has stood up to it all pretty well..

IMO the Force 26 engine is OK for starters, but I think this truck would really benefit from a more powerful engine..

Also, the stock suspension is WAY too soft.. I put in 45, then 55, then finally 60 wt shock oil, AND got the harder blue shock springs(worth it..), and now it's much, much better..

Anyway, here's a vid of mine:

http://s76.photobucket.com/albums/j2...riftDayLGT.flv

In the end, I'd say I'm quite happy with it - given what I paid for it.. It's actually been proving itself to be better than I expected.. I was skeptical about it being only single-speed at first, but once the engine's dialed in, it goes reasonably fast. I've only noticed that recently really.. I'd say speed-wise it can easily hang with a Savage. You won't be doing wheelies though...

Here, a few pics too:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71343.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	541830   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm38167.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	117.9 KB
ID:	541831   Click image for larger version

Name:	Va72470.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	541832   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jc85643.jpg
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	541833   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uf51234.jpg
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	541834   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tj74601.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	541835   Click image for larger version

Name:	Km97034.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	541836   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kj31013.jpg
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	541837  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Nm92690.jpg
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	541838   Click image for larger version

Name:	Eq77517.jpg
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	541839  
Old 10-15-2006, 11:01 PM
HerrSavage

Couple more..

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46012.jpg
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	541845   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu64237.jpg
Size:	120.6 KB
ID:	541846   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ns44110.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	541847  
Old 10-16-2006, 02:56 AM
phil_rudd_fan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They don't even sell the truck in Sweden!

But, it's a pretty decent truck, or is it?

Should I buy it instead of a Savage, Revo 3.3 or MTA-4?
Old 10-16-2006, 03:54 AM
HerrSavage

Yes, it is a "decent" truck.. Of course, what you should buy though depends on what you want to do with it.. If you want to just bash and thrash around and jump and stuff, I'd get the Savage X SS(not the RTR) + a decent radio and servos.. If it has to be RTR, then probably the MTA4 S28(reasonably priced and parts are cheap and fairly widespread too..) They're all good trucks.. The one area I imagine where the LGT would be better than the others(except maybe the Revo.. ) would be on a BMX track.. It handles really well and because of the huge tires and wheels it flies pretty well too.. (In-air controllability is good.) Anyway, let me know more what you want to do, where you want to drive, your budget, what the local shops have(if you have local shops..), etc..

Don't know about Sweden, but here in Germany Traxxas isn't all that well represented, so getting a Revo I'd be a tad concerned about part availability.. 'Course, if you're going to have to order everything anyway...