Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Need help picking Truck guys

Old 10-18-2006, 12:24 PM
3nickles

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help picking Truck guys

I recently sold my RC10GT gas truck that I played with for 6 great years. I loved the quality and ease of setup and no starting hassles. I didn't even have to tune the engine once it was set. That is priceless for a backyard truck. Anyway 2 reasons I sold. The RC10 couldn't go very well on the grass because of it's ride height and my son (now 9) is now interested in the hobby.

So I want to buy a dependable, easy to start, no-fuss tuning Monster Truck for my son's XMAS present. A local hobby shop carries many many trucks. WAY TOO CONFUSING. THey have the The AE MONSTER GT, HPI, LOSIs and entire TRAXXAS line. They must have had about 12 different models on the wall.

Can someone tell me which model might suit my needs best. Key features again are easy to start and stay tuned (I hate having to mess with the mixture valve and usually set it rich so I don't have to mess with it!), and decent ride height over the grass.

The AE MONSTER GT looked OK and I kind of liked the idea of the Traxxas starter (no pull).

Suggestions guys??
Old 10-18-2006, 01:29 PM
89ram

Default RE: Need help picking Truck guys

revo 3.3. much much much better than my first, a warhead.
Old 10-18-2006, 01:36 PM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Let me first be clear: I have never owned one - however, everything I have heard leads me to believe that the MGT is EXACLTY what you're after. Big, simple, good price, easy to work on, lots of tuning options if that becomes important, easy to tune engine, no major issues.. For those reasons I'd buy the MGT myself...
Old 10-18-2006, 01:42 PM
happywing

MGT is a good choice for backyard fun. The Revo is a good racer, but Traxxas engines range from trouble-free to impossible to tune. You never know what you're going to get with a Traxxas engine. The best of both worlds is to get a Revo and change out the engine. The O.S. TM is easy to tune and start...and it's fast.
Old 10-18-2006, 03:03 PM
3nickles

I was afraid of the Traxxas engines being very tempermental. I've had such good luck with the very easy to tune (and stays tuned) and start reliability of the O.S. engines. That is kind of why I was leaning toward the MGT truck
Old 10-20-2006, 01:06 PM
fishgod
My Feedback: (13)

I am kind of in the same boat as 3nickels. I fly rc planes but my young son likes the trucks. I started him out on a cheapy electric truck and now whant to get something that can handle the grass, has proportional steering. I am no stranger to nitro or electric. I would like to get 2 trucks so that it makes it fun for the both of us. Any suggestions would be helpful, Electric/Nitro, this brand that brand. Thanks for the help
Old 10-20-2006, 01:44 PM
RCtruckRacer

As long as he already has the Abu-Garcia reel and Lamiglass rod for the Copper River salmon, then almost any MT will do. A couple Revo's or a couple of Savage's should fit the bill. If those are out of your budget, or you would like an electric - less maintenance IMO, then I'd say get two Stampede's. The Pede is a great entry level hobby grade truck.
Old 10-20-2006, 02:15 PM
fishgod
My Feedback: (13)

Fishing gear is not a problem. Both kids love to fish but my daughter is fishgod Junior.
As for the trucks, I would guess bigger would be better for grass. How do the the electrics do in the grass? What time of runtime do you get say out of a 3000 pack?
Old 10-20-2006, 02:29 PM
3nickles

How does the AE MGT stackup to the REVO or Savage?

Do I have to buy anything additionally if I do end up getting the AE MGT? I sold my radio, nicads, charger etc with my RC10GT so I'm starting fresh
Old 10-20-2006, 07:59 PM
KRO

How does the AE MGT stackup to the REVO or Savage?

Its larger than the REVO and the SAVAGE . The Savage seems more durable but I have heard things . Its not as fast as a REVO , but is a better backyard basher .

For the price $369.00(online) I dont think you can beat it (MGT).

You will need

Fuel bottle , glow starter , cordless drill , 6 volt receiver battery (hump pack) and charger , 8 AA alkaline batteries .
Old 10-21-2006, 09:22 AM
3nickles

Thanks for all the info KRO;

One more question. Do I have the option of getting nicads for the receiver battery and transmitter with charger? I'd like to replace what I had for convenience. Futaba sold a dual charger: one lead plugs into the xmitter to charge the 8 AA Nicds and one lead plugged into the flat connector to charge the receiver battery on the truck. No fuss. Just plug-in, charge and go. Does Associated sell an optional kit like that?
Old 10-21-2006, 04:22 PM
3nickles

Well I just got back from the Chicago Model hobby show. Nice show... huge. Was able to see the Traxxas and Losi trucks but the one I was hoping to check out wasn't there.....Associated.

I looked at the Traxxas T-MaxxR. Rep says it has the Revo gears and transmission but on the T-maxx chassis and would be fun for backyard bashing. One thing that stinks is that i really can't convert to automatically hook up receiver,xmitter nicads and charge both like I had with the Futaba radio/rcvr. Just a nuisance I guess to be taking batteries in and out to replace or charge. Only other difference is that the MGT is much bigger and slower, says the Traxxas rep.

HMMM..Now I'm really confused
Old 10-22-2006, 07:11 AM
beaglegod

First of all I think its best not to take the advice from a traxxas rep, orany rep for that matter however the teaxxas rep is probably right in this case that the MGT is bigger and slower,but think about it. If your not seriously racing and competing and your just out to have fun dou you realy care that truck A gos 5 mph faster than truck B?

My my concernes would be:

1.Can it take a good beating
2.Is it easy to repair WHEN it eventually breaks
3.Is it exciting to watch (this may sound silly but some vehicles in my oppinion are more exciting to drive than others).
4.Is the engine a reputable one that for the most part stays in tune.
5.How fast does it go (any MT over 30mph is plenty fast for bashing into oblivion,low end grunt its where it realy matters and good excelloration)

For me personally and in my oppinion the AE MGT 4.60 is a very good deal, you get a lot of quality truck for under $400 the I Beam style chassis is very rigid and everything is nicely laid out easy to get to anything you need to repair, like most MTs shimming the difs will make it more bullet proof and it could use a better radio but all in all I like it.

The Savage X is another sweet MT for just $400+ HPI makes quality products and the new radio box layout alone is worth it.

LST 2 is sweet if youve got the xtra cashgraet truck with many upgrades standard I love haveing 2 high torque metal gear steering servos, and the radio you will love. Personally though for some reason it drives a bit too perfect for my tastes from what Ive seen, I like an MT to fee; like it on the edge, but I cant fault Team Losis truck for anything.

Fianally just a thought larger gas powered RCs should also be looked into, no tuning,no break in, 30-40 min run times on one tank,use regular un leaded, lots of kists to make the engines more pwerful (HPIs baja 5b is bad @$$) Biggest down fal is initial cost and since these vehicles are much heavier driving physics are more true to real life,you have to think ahead when driving and they cant bash like a 1/8 MT. Again more realism but a blast to watch.

Just a few things to mill over .
Old 10-22-2006, 07:19 AM
snowbl!nd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the MGT would be the best choice in your situation.

It's not the fastest, or have the best radio gear availible - but it's a great all round truck. Easy to work on, and the engines really are as good as everyone claims.
Old 10-22-2006, 09:49 AM
McFly505

MGT 4.60 SE, without a doubt.

I currently have two of them.
(I say 'I', when they actually belong to my kids. I get to drive every so often..)

Straight out of the box. ZERO issues.
The first one has around 10 gallons on the stock engine and still runs strong.
The second one has about 1/2 gallon on it and runs excellent.
Both will start easily, are extremely easy to tune and hold their tune well.

Decent radio, strong engine, pull or drill start, fairly quick, wheelie's are NOT a problem, loves to go airborne, etc.

I started out with a T Maxx, went Warhead(went CRAZY), then settled in with the MGT.

Never had a Savage, a Revo, a LST, etc, so I can't comment on those trucks.

But I can say, without a doubt, that the MGT 4.60SE IS the best truck I've ever had.

It's almost idiot proof.(good thing, cause I could probably break ball bearings in a sandbox)

Scott
Old 10-24-2006, 09:20 PM
3nickles

Funny post McFly!

It's definitely looking like the MGT for me as well. Just wish I'd hear some more from the REVO, SAVAGE, LOSI owners as those are the other trucks stocked by my local Hobby store and look just as good. Decisions...Decisions!
Old 10-25-2006, 03:02 AM
EG1

I own a modded savage basher and LST with some mods.

The LST is hands down the best MT IMO. I've had a chance to drive pretty much all the trucks available and they will all be fun for bashing.

The 427 in the LST is the best RTR engine IMO, plenty of power and SO easy to tune.

Makes a great racer too

Old 11-01-2006, 10:34 PM
Henry William French

MGT... no troubles.
Old 11-06-2006, 01:29 AM
Born2Fly
My Feedback: (21)

Got Revo 3.3 couple of days ago. Can't be more happier. I would highly recommend it. Easy to start and fun to drive.