Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

MRC THUNDER KING picture/info gallery

Community
Search
Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

MRC THUNDER KING picture/info gallery

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 03:13 AM
The Boss

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: MRC THUNDER KING picture gallery

MOVIES...I found some old NTK vids I uploaded a while ago... get some popcorn...

http://www.rcpics.net/media/tk.mpeg

http://www.rcpics.net/media/MOV04543.mpg

http://www.rcpics.net/media/MOV04541.mpg

http://www.rcpics.net/media/MOV04542.mpg

http://www.rcpics.net/media/MOV04540.mpg

I put some stuff on RC-PICS a while back and I will see if I can add some more soon

http://www.rcpics.net/media.php?sear...earch&limit=10

here is one from gound level taken with a hidden camera

http://www.rcpics.net/media/Monster_jam_1_2004.wmv

Below is a link to pics of the lastr/c M/J show I orgainized.

http://www.rcpics.net/media.php?tric...=search&max=22

The pics below is of 2 of the NTKs that I setup with some of the mods in this thread to run at the last monster jam, The yellow one is the one you see in the vids winning the jump off, it was drivin by a guy that did not like NTKs and used to say they are outdated among other things, he busted his other 8scale mts so I let him drive the yellow NTK (I told him give it hell), all the jumps of that NTK was him driving it for the first time, he had never drove/used/owned an NTK before this, funny... he had good things to say about the NTKs after that lol. I think there were 6 in total in the last m/j show we did, every year we did the show at least half the kits in the show were always nitro thunder kings and was the kit to beat for the guys running the new high tech stuff lol. let me know if I am boring you TK fans with all this now.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84406.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	881914  
Old 02-18-2008, 04:14 PM
thunderkingkid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: The Boss

SIDE DIRT GARD AND SPUR GEAR GARD MOD...

This mod really helps keep the dirt and rocks out of the chassis pan and can help protect the gears. Any scrap lexan or plastic can be mounted many diffrent ways on the chassis sides.
Hey Boss, are you running dual fuel tanks?
Old 02-19-2008, 01:56 AM
The Boss

Nope, we have tryed the fuel tanks in diffrent places though, stock spot is best, just turn it around
Old 02-19-2008, 04:35 AM
rcbeep73

thanks for the email back Boss. i will let you know. Randy
Old 02-21-2008, 01:39 AM
The Boss

9NX NTK SE
Old 03-20-2008, 04:20 PM
The Boss

New TK RC4WD Transmission Gears... review ...

I just got the new tranny gears for the Thunder King kits and thought I would post my thoughts... AWESOME!, AWESOME!, AWESOME!

I ordered a few sets from http://www.rcrockcrawling.com/produc...roducts_id=683

I got a bit of a suprize when I opened the package, I was expecting the gears to be made from aluminum as said on the rc rock crawling site but when I got them out of the bags I realized that these are all STEEL! gears. To me this is a huge bonus and ups the durability factor a whole bunch. The machining quality looks excellent!... WELL DONE!... The gears also seem to have a black anodized type coating on them which again is another plus. I am very impressed.

I HIGHLY recommend to anyone that has a TK-BK-DT-NTK to get a set of these new gears made by RC4WD while you can because if they run out of them you guys will really be missing out on what looks to be an AWESOME! upgrade to your kits, well worth the the price. The complete tranny gear set is included, gear shaft, counter gear, differential gear and elc spur gear.

http://rc4wdstore.com/product_info.p...roducts_id=734

I have always used and would recommend using a high temp moly type grease on metal gears, The machining quality looks to be excellent...

ALSO...

-------------------------------------------------------------------
ATTEN... Nitro Thunder King owners...
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Here are some new pics (second row of pics) of the modded NTK nitro 24pitch spur gear we are using from the 65T monster pirate (black) beside a factory 68T (white) NTK nitro 24pitch spur gear. All we are doing to make this gear work is to make/add a same thickness as gear lexan or plastic spacer/washer to downsize the center hole from 30mm to 14mm, then we set the factory rulon pad into the center indentation which it fits perfectly and drill 8 small holes, one on each side of the larger 4 factory holes for the M/T pirate mounting, with this we thread in set screws to keep the rulon pads in place on each side and thats it.

If down the road RC4WD would be willing to make this gear, it could be sold to the monster pirate and NTK guys, also this gear is the same size as the xtm mammoth uses 65T so there might be some possiblitys there too.

Name:	Kh17495.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	908782   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uq50004.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	908783   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uz68423.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	908784   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lf95485.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	908785   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo39147.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	908786   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu66575.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	908787   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jp32257.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	908788   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vp39736.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	908789  

Old 04-03-2008, 11:33 PM
thunderkingkid

Im selling one of my electric mrc thunder kings on ebay.If any of you are interested you should check it out.
Old 04-12-2008, 07:14 PM
thunderkingkid

Hi im selling one of my electric thunder kings on ebay at a very cheap price, almost ready to run. Here is the link
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...cSELL.m315.lVI

Old 05-22-2008, 12:15 PM
rcbeep73

Hey guys it’s been awhile, look at my crazy creation. It still needs some tweaking but it’s coming along. I guess this is my Frankenstein thunder king.

Name:	Bz79335.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	954660   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id97392.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	954661  
Old 05-27-2008, 09:04 PM
rcbeep73

It's all done. just need to run and tune the engine to the truck then have some fun. i am lucky enough to live at the shore so the beach is a great place to run.

Name:	Tr50048.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	958478   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mi22036.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	958479  
Old 06-03-2008, 07:05 PM
rcbeep73

well i did it i burnt up the diff gear. that os engine was crazy fast WOW. It pulled the front wheels right off the ground. it was great until the 3rd tank the truck got slower and slower unitl it just stayed. so i know i will realy need to buy the metal gears. until next time...
Old 06-04-2008, 12:29 PM
rcbeep73

ok, fix the rear diff by making it a pos. works real good now. I can pop the front end up with ease. I think I might make a wheelie bar. The other thing I had to do was put on bigger wheel hex. The nuts got loose and strip out the wheels. Good thing I have plenty more. So I am running a set of Revo wheels in the rear and stock up front. I can’t wait to run this with my buds with there trucks. I want to see the looks on there faces. I am sure I will have no problem keeping up with them. I hope the longer wheel base will handle the jumps and ruts better then there’s.
Old 06-11-2008, 03:53 PM
The Boss

Looking good... I just thought I would give a gear update, I emailed RC4WD about getting Nitro gear packs for the NTK guys here and it was no problem to basicly just subsitute another ball diff/counter gear instead of the elc spur,... SO nitro NTK guys... keep this in mind when you order your gear sets.

Name:	Ig12546.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	968752  
Old 07-09-2008, 07:21 PM
thunderkingkid

Hey i have a MRC THUNDER KING Electric Rolling chassis for cheap on ebay right now if any of you want to start a project.
Old 10-11-2008, 11:41 AM
Chachin

Hello guys, lots of good World Scale info here . I thought I'd share a few pics of my ThunderKing "resurection" project. I'm bringing back mine from the dead after it sat around for years. Here is the build log thread I have going on over at RCGroups in case you are interested:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=926845

I added the RC4WD steel gears mentioned in this and other threads (thanks The Boss!), installed a Novak 6.5 HV Pro brushless system and a FASST 3PM radio system. I'm going to finally run it today for the first time after it sat around for 12+ years!! I also have a couple of 3S 3850mAh 25C ThunderPower packs coming for good run time/performance but for now I'll use a set of 12-cell NiMH's. I hope it's not too much power for it, I will take it very easy.

Chachin..

Name:	Yw67892.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	1049727   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr54214.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	1049728   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ns45758.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	1049729  
Old 10-11-2008, 12:49 PM
rcbeep73

Very nice please let us know how well it works with the motor system. i have a few so will be doing the same.
Old 10-12-2008, 10:52 AM
Chachin

Hello,

I put a couple of runs through it yesterday and am charging for another run today. The truck is running smoothly and it has decent speed, but nothing crazy. I still have plenty of room to play with larger pinions (running a conservative 14t now) and higher voltage if need be later on. Man, I had forgotten how this truck's tranny has a really coarse sound to it. It also drives like a big boy; I love how it leans in the turns. One thing I noticed was the ball diff slipping. I've read about that in other threads. How tight do you guys set yours to?? I started out with mine about 1.25 turns from fully collapsed. Now it's down to about .8 turn from fully collapsed but it still slips. I'm thinking of bringing it down to .5 turn, but not sure if that could damage the diff.

Another problem I ran into is the throttle stuttering/pausing, during acceleration, towards the end of the battery. At first I thought it was either the LiPo cut-off or ESC overheating, but I disabled the cut-off and installed a cooling fan and it still does it. Maybe it's just the ESC letting me know that the battery is low?? But that doesn't really make sense with NiMH. It could also be the Tamiya type connectors, so I will be replacing those soon. Here is a vid from yesterday showing the throttle stuttering, the battery was getting a little low at this point after maybe 10min or running:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showa...mentid=2112627

Will post more as I continue to tweak it.

Hey BTW, I also received a 2nd TK chassis from Tim... brand new! I'm thinking of running this one with the stock brushed motors for comparison. Now I need to find some wheels, tires and a body for it.

Chachin..

Name:	Fd91894.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	1050236   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc94251.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	141.0 KB
ID:	1050237   Click image for larger version

Name:	Af90613.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	1050238   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pj17512.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	1050239  
Old 10-12-2008, 12:25 PM
rcbeep73

Hello, nice pic. I see what you are talking about. I am thinking the problem is the motor is pulling more power then the battery can give. The Tamiya plugs don't help. Can you change the settings in the speed control. Like less power on take off. I also think the slipping with the trans is normal cause your running on pavement. If your on dirt you will be fine. lets us know what happens
Old 10-20-2008, 04:13 PM
Chachin

Good news rcbeep, it turns out that the throttle stutter was just the ESC cutting off motor power to maintain radio priority. No wonder it only happened towards the end of the charge. I tightened the ball diff. down to a 1/4 turn from fully collapsed and it's holding up well now. The slipper clutch I had to tighten down to 1/8 turn for quicker acceleration. Here is a video shot yesterday of my TK running on the 12-cell NiMH's:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showa...mentid=2127348

It's running a lot better now and it's pretty darn fast too . I'm planning on making some more changes. I may end up building the Desert Thunder buggy version with the other chassis if I can find what is needed. Maybe The Boss has some of the necessary parts for sale? I'll send him an e-mail.

Chachin..

Edit: Youtube version of video available here (in case above link becomes inactive):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSYL16ecu7E
Old 10-20-2008, 04:58 PM
rcbeep73

wow it's quick. i just got a set of the metal gears in so i will be doing the same thing. i have about ten world scales. electric and nitro. the nitro one i installed a 1/8 scale steering servo and it works real well. i am thinking of converting one of my desert thunder into nitro.
Old 01-09-2009, 09:28 AM
bill42

Another Thunder King Lives...

Hi all. Great thread. Just as I am getting back into RC cars after 15 years it seems like there is a little Thunder King Revival going on.

I recently took mine out of hibernation and swapped in a new Novak 6.5 brushless motor kit. Everything else is stock MRC. Trying to keep costs down I opted to ad a heavy duty BEC to run just one 8-cell battery rather than dual batteries. Besides halving the number of batteries and charges needed, I also figured this would also be a great way to keep my old Thunder king from being over-powered. With a 16 tooth pinion, I can't believe how fast this old truck goes with just the 8-cell battery. These brushless motors are amazing.
Today I took the advice of others and ordered a set of steel gears while they last, in case I decide to run more voltage. I am hoping to get a spare chassis for parts also. I can't imagine how fast the Thunder King would go with 2 LiPo packs.
After breaking my old beast for the first time since I bought it 15 years ago, I thought it might be too[img][/img] fragile for these high speeds, so I bought an E-Revo which just by looking at you can tell how far RC trucks have come in 15 years. The Thunder King looked like an oversized, over designed monster truck when it came out, but compared to the E Revo it looks like an under-fed runt puppy.
But nostalgia runs strong in my aging bones... For some reason I haven't even tried my E Revo once yet. I find I am much more interested in tinkering/modifying/restoring my old Thunder King.
Sometimes hot-rodding an old car is more fun than just buying a brand new car I guess.

Old 01-09-2009, 11:26 AM
rcbeep73

Nice, I have so many trucks inline to get worked on I have yet to install the metal gears. But the world scale will never die...
Old 01-27-2009, 10:06 AM
huskerdually

Anyone got a front nose piece they are willing to part with? It is the piece that the hinge pins go through to mount the front arms, the shock mount also bolts to it and then it bolts to the main chassis.
Old 01-27-2009, 11:42 AM
bill42

Did you contact Tim@MRC? He has a few bullnoses left as long as you buy the entire Chassis along with it. But his price is way worth it considering all the spare parts you will be getting.
He had a few more new chassises as of last week when I bought 2 of them.
Old 01-27-2009, 11:59 AM
huskerdually

You on rc tech also? I think I already talked to you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.