Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

Recommendations for 1rst Monster Truck

Community
Search
Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Recommendations for 1rst Monster Truck

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 07:51 PM
Maggster
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recommendations for 1rst Monster Truck

I have been out of RC for several years. Last weekend I was going through the garage and found an old Kyosho (I think) stadium truck and enough parts to get it running. The ten year old packs still held enough charge to get 3 minute run times! Yahoo!

It got me wanting a new truck and looking around at whats available I think I want a monster truck. I was into electric stadium trucks about ten years ago, and I have plenty of airplane experience breaking in engines and flight time. With this kind of experience what truck would you recommend? I want to just bash with it. I don't intend to race at all. My priorities would be relatively low cost, durability, and being able to run off a track through grass and such. I have all the support equipment for nitro already.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-27-2006, 08:14 PM
CESSPOOL

Default RE: Recommendations for 1rst Monster Truck

LST2. Visit us in our very own subforum!

Fast, durable, handles great, easy to work on and lots of upgrades.
Old 11-27-2006, 09:08 PM
duckedup

But.. if cost is a concern, the Monster GT is hard to beat.. Best bang for your buck IMO..

-Lots of aftermarket support
-Easy to work on and maintain
-Durable
-Easy to tune
-BIG
-and.. you can find it for around $370 [sm=thumbup.gif]

We also have our own forum [link=http://monster****rum.com/forum/]here[/link] ..

If you have the $$, I'd go with the LST2, it's the nicest RTR out there IMO... but considering the price you can get a MGT for, it's hard to beat and it's a fun, tough truck too..
Old 11-27-2006, 09:16 PM
89ram

i sure like my 3.3revo!
Old 11-27-2006, 09:48 PM
redfox03

you got a few good choice trucks out there like: LST2, MONSTER GT, REVO 3.3/2.5, SAVAGE, CEN NEMESIS/GENESIS and AFTERSHOCK. the lst2 would be good, comes with a nice synthesized radio, lots of after market support, pretty much race ready out the box (if you want to race). the mgt is also a great choice for the price, easy to work on, durable, and it doesn't take much to get it race ready. also check out the savage, also a great truck. check em all out, see which one you like best. Oh yeah, the nemesis is also pretty good for bashing, and it is huge.
Old 11-27-2006, 10:11 PM
chrobar

Go with the savage, toughest truck around, and the LST2 goes around $600 and it's more bred for racing in my opinion. If you can still find an HPI Savage .25, or LE version, it would tough to beat. If you got the money for the electronics and things, get the XSS kit, it comes with a 4.6cc engine compared to only 4.1, a tuned pipe, better tires, dual disk brakes, alloy differentials, heavy duty drive train, shimmed diffs, revised chassis plates, and maybe some other stuff. ^^<<^^^ what all these goodies mean is one over the top truck. This is all IMO, so don't start with me.
Old 11-27-2006, 10:43 PM
dracy69
My Feedback: (1)

these threads never end.

LST2 and Revo, geared for racing. the Revo needs a few more things like shock oil and maybe some shorter gearing to go on the track.

MGT. good all around truck. needs work to go either way.

Savage. pure built basher. pull wheelies and jump big jumps all day and not worry about a thing.

obviously all trucks will need maintenance and all trucks will have minor flaws but those are the most proven trucks out there. pick what you like. Savage a Revo have the best afterarket support then the LST2 and the MGT has the least aftermarket support.
Old 11-28-2006, 11:04 AM
Maggster
My Feedback: (2)

Thanks for the replies. I am leaning toward either an MGT or a Savage.

If I understand right, the Savage doesn't have reverse right? In everything I have read and watched, it looks like the MGT isn't nearly as fast as the Savage. Maybe I am just watching the wrong videos, but can anyone comment on that? I would like reverse, but I definitely want a tough fast basher.

Thanks again.
Old 11-28-2006, 11:15 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Older version Savage 25 RTR or MGT if you're on a budget, LST2 or Savage X SS if you can take the extra up-front pain with the price.

The Sav X SS is prob the best basher going right now. If you get anything else you're gonna end up upgrading it, and within six months spending at least as much as what the X SS costs right now. The sealer for me is the alu diff cups and shimmed diffs. HPI FINALLY got it right....

I personally would NOT get the Savage X RTR.. Why do you think the list of upgrades on the X SS is so long?? There was a lot to fix......
Old 11-28-2006, 02:02 PM
dracy69
My Feedback: (1)

an X RTR wouldnt be a mistake. the SS kits always have long lists of upgrades. if you have the extra 150 bucks yea get the XSS and the electronics needed for it. the Savage does not come with reverse althoguh HPI makes modules for it. the MGT and Savage are both fast enough for MT's, trust me.
Old 11-28-2006, 02:05 PM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The difference BETWEEN THE DIFFERENCE from the old 25 RTR to old SS, to X RTR to X SS is significant.

With the old SS kit, you had the pipe, the engine, the wheels/tires, the brakes, and a few other bits. That of course is all the same with the X SS over the X RTR.

But look at the list of other upgrades. Tranny case, TVP's, CB/SG, engine plate, etc.. etc...